Remove subtitles from videos?

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by ShadowSoldier, Nov 29, 2013.

1. ShadowSoldier
    OP

ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    I use my PS3 with PS3 Media Server to stream all of my downloaded stuff to the TV, but some files I don't like to watch because it bugs me, mainly the ones with subtitles.

I recently downloaded an english dubbed torrent of Highschool Of The Dead but the problem is when I watch it on the TV, it has subtitles although it's english dubbed. I already tried in the options on the PS3 to turn subs off, but obviously it only works for files on movies and such.

So is there a way that I can, on my computer, go to the videos, and take the subtitles out? For H.O.T.D it's .mkv files, and obviously I can turn the subtitles off in VLC/MPC but I want to permanently take them out so I can watch them on my PS3.

2. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Is it hard subbed or soft subbed? You can only remove subtitle if it is soft subbed.

3. basher11

basher11 GBAtemp's Official Vocaloid Lover

Jun 29, 2009
    United States
    assuming you downloaded soft subbed, use mkvmerge to mux the subtitles out.

Fishaman P and Ericthegreat like this.
  4. ShadowSoldier
    OP

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    How do I know if it's soft or hard? (hue hue hue hue hue)

I just know that I'm able to turn them off in VLC.

If you mean is there a file in the folder of subtitles, there isn't. Only pics and videos.

5. basher11

basher11 GBAtemp's Official Vocaloid Lover

Jun 29, 2009
    United States
    if you can turn them off they're soft subbed.

6. trumpet-205

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    If you can turn it off in a video player, it is soft subbed.

Files such as mkv and mp4 are containers, a package if you will. Inside them consist of video track, audio track, and optionally subtitle files. In hard subbed case, there is no subtitle files, subtitle is burned into video track. There is no way to remove subtitle for hard subbed video.

For soft subbed case, simply use mkvmerge to remux mkv files without subtitle files.

7. YayMii

YayMii hi

Jun 24, 2009
    Canada
    that place
    Hard subbed means that the subtitles are hard-encoded into the video, i.e. they're part of the video itself instead of just a text overlay. If you can turn them off in VLC, I'm sure they're soft-subbed. AFAIK, there is a way to disable them on the PS3's media player, but if you want to permanently get rid of them, you can try re-encoding the video files.

8. trumpet-205

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    You don't need to re-encode video files when dealing with soft subbed video files.

Simply use mkvmerge to remux mkv.

9. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    For the record you can remove hard subs.
    The obvious start is if they are in the black bars at the bottom of the screen then you can just crop and reform as necessary.

After that/if you are not that lucky the logo removal tools can be used. It is an absolute pig to do really well though unless you are lucky enough to have alpha subs.

From what has been said though it sounds like you have soft subs so I will stop here, as others said if your player forces them on then just remux the video but leave the subs out of it.

10. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Because this is SS, it's probably best to link to a tutorial on how to do so.

That should have enough instructions on how to do it. (I only skimmed through the video though)

11. YayMii

YayMii hi

Jun 24, 2009
    Canada
    that place
    I simply suggested one way of getting rid of the subtitles. I know it's a bit more than necessary, but it was the first thing that came to my mind, and it does do what OP asked for.

12. ShadowSoldier
    OP

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada

You do know you can just ignore me.. right?

13. jargus

jargus GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 11, 2007
    United States
    Just add the file to handbrake and leave the subs off. Problem solved

14. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    I was referring to how it's well-known you don't know all that much technology is all.:rolleyes:

15. trumpet-205

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Handbrake re-encodes video, not muxing them.

Each time you encode a video the quality degrades. When dealing the soft subtitle, you only need to remux the file. Re-encode video not only cause quality to drop, but also takes considerably longer than a simple remux.

16. Fishaman P
    This message by Fishaman P has been removed from public view by Cyan, Aug 18, 2014, Reason: quoting deleted post.
    Aug 18, 2014