Remove post count from posts in threads.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Title kind of says it all and indeed I kind of wish I could leave it at that but some more words are probably necessary- call it an experiment* but could we see what happens if we remove post count from the main threads and leave it instead to the mouseover** or general profile viewer.
By all means leave the medals, group and such and maybe try it as a temporary measure (3 weeks would be a decent minimum).

much as I like experimenting for the sake of it if I have to put forth some justification we have pointedly avoided implementing anything resembling reputation and even ignoring the huge nigh on dealbreaking problems with rep systems especially on a mature forum like this one I would possibly be able to argue they have more merit than an obvious post count

**pulling apart other forum software it might be quite doable but I guess if this is a common php include or something it might get nominally harder depending upon how you work it (copy and past with a slightly different name and roll from there)- as it is the mouseover stuff is another query set anyway (or at least it does not appear in the main thread source in an obvious fashion).

I have various ideas as to what would happen but I can not really see it being a negative (I would not have suggested it if I foresaw a big downside) and it might even be a fair positive (prelude to counter arguement- you might not notice it but others might and as a whole....).

Reactions: 1 person

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
A-huh. Well, maybe I haven't been here long enough. But I still believe that popular members get an increase of posters by at least some percentage.
Removing post count won't change that. Popular members will always be popular with or without post count. As well post count doesn't make a member popular. Members who do large contributing things to the community make them popular.

Reactions: 3 people

jarejare3

PROFILE CHANGE!
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Do people really look at post-count? I mean the only thing why people like high post-count here is for that self title at 500 post IMO.

It's just like what The Catboy said, people who contributed to the community is more popular. I mean look at Costello, I bet if he wasn't Admin, I would barely recognize him! (no offence). and he has like what 7k post!

Just Another Gamer

星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
Like someone else said, removing post count, or at least have it hidden, will make things much more easier for newcomers who have honest opinions that are instead turned down. I sometimes noticed during my (short) time here that people with more than 500 posts that starts a topic gets more posts/views than one with less. (And no, I'm not talking about my topics)
People don't need a high post count to have people ignore them, i'm constantly ignored but thats probably my fault in the first place.

Do people really look at post-count? I mean the only thing why people like high post-count here is for that self title at 500 post IMO.

It's just like what The Catboy said, people who contributed to the community is more popular. I mean look at Costello, I bet if he wasn't Admin, I would barely recognize him! (no offence). and he has like what 7k post!
I don't people care very much about high post count, I never did. Well I only did it at the start so I can have a custom user title but after that I couldn't care and just started becoming more casual with it but I still ended up posting alot which just feels strange for me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.