Religion. The Last Debate

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 28,320
  • Replies 428

Is there a God? Do you believe in God?

• Yes, there is a God. My reason is posted.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, there is no God. My reason is posted.

• There may or may not be a God. I'm not sure.

• Total voters

PeregrinFig

A miserable little pile of secrets
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I was raised as a Lutheran Christian since I was very young, but as I've gotten older my logical and more analytical way of thinking sort of took over, making things like evolution make sense. Personally I believe in evolution regardless of whether or not there's a God, but that's a whole different debate. I really don't call myself a Christian, but at the same time I definitely wouldn't say I'm an atheist either. Really, sure, no one's seen God, but at the same time, no one is billions of years old and has seen the dawn of the planet or life. I personally believe there is no way I am ever going to be 100% certain that there is or isn't a God out there, so my philosophy is, to each his own. It's of no concern to me whether someone believes in God or not, and they should just be allowed to continue believing what they believe.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You:
djleviticus said:
Jesus is Lord, I am a born again Christian and believe me God is very real.

GBAtemp Trolls:

ragefz.jpg

Uncle FEFL

OBJECTION!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Infinite Zero said:
_Chaz_ said:
I explain it as a very significant coincidence that had astronomical affects on the universe.

If God does exist, how do you explain all the evil in the world?
Evil is the absence of good. God didn't create evil, the fallen angel did. Lucifer.
Evil is subjective.

God, who has the power to begin all things, know all things, and end all things, created Lucifer. With all that power and knowledge, comes blame. God knew what Lucifer would do. Therefore, God created evil.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Infinite Zero said:
_Chaz_ said:
I explain it as a very significant coincidence that had astronomical affects on the universe.

If God does exist, how do you explain all the evil in the world?
Evil is the absence of good. God didn't create evil, the fallen angel did. Lucifer.

I'd like to refer to a quote earlier posted in this thread that really sums up this argument better than I ever could:

Epicurus
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Blueicm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
closedeyes.gif
I don't care if there is or isn't a god... If there is a god he probably doesn't care about our own existence. If there isn't that explains the lack of evidence. Ultimately no one can prove there is or isn't a all-powerful being who watches people all day. If I do ever meet god he can kiss my...(edited for blasphemy against all powerful entities).
mellow.gif
I personally believe in evolution and I think that's the way it will stay.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Blueicm said:
closedeyes.gif
I don't care if there is or isn't a god... If there is a god he probably doesn't care about our own existence. If there isn't that explains the lack of evidence. Ultimately no one can prove there is or isn't a all-powerful being who watches people all day. If I do ever meet god he can kiss my...(edited for blasphemy against all powerful entities).
mellow.gif
I personally believe in evolution.
Sorry, I had to fix it. It was just killing me.

BobTheJoeBob

The most optimistic person on the temp. :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The "If there's good, why is there evil?" argument has been answered many times, the simplest answer being is that as long as humans have free will there will be evil. There's many more arguments though, aside from that one; google is your friend.

Uncle FEFL

OBJECTION!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BobTheJoeBob said:
The "If there's good, why is there evil?" argument has been answered many times, the simplest answer being is that as long as humans have free will there will be evil. There's many more arguments though, aside from that one; google is your friend.
But there is no such thing as free will. Free will implies that God doesn't know what you're going to do next, yet it does. Also, saying that humans are evil by nature, then stating that we are an omnibenevolent god's children is contradictory. If we are in fact God's children, we are born in a way that Locke would describe, we are born in a tabula rasa, or a blank slate.

God allowing evil at all is contradictory.

Shinigami357

Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i reckon people are still on the fence whether or not "real" is real or imaginary. frankly, the question of God's validity is not about evil, or free will, it's about the "so what?" thing. people can believe or not believe in God, that is their choice completely, and to some people, all that really matters is that a person is completely at peace with himself whether he believes there is a God or not.

BobTheJoeBob

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uncle FEFL said:
BobTheJoeBob said:
But there is no such thing as free will. Free will implies that God doesn't know what you're going to do next, yet it does. Also, saying that humans are evil by nature, then stating that we are an omnibenevolent god's children is contradictory. If we are in fact God's children, we are born in a way that Locke would describe, we are born in a tabula rasa, or a blank slate.

Just because god knows what we're going to do, doesn't mean he made us do it. It's completely free will. And no, we're not born evil, we're born given the right to be evil or good.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
BobTheJoeBob said:
Just because god knows what we're going to do, doesn't mean he made us do it. It's completely free will. And no, we're not born evil, we're born given the right to be evil or good.

But again, right and wrong or evil and good is subjective. What's good in one religion is bad in another, what's good in secular society is bad in religion, what's good in one culture is bad in another and so on. If you left a child with no education on the subject in the forest and came back when he was older (if he sruvived obviously lol) would he know right from wrong and good from evil, or would he just know survival instinct?

Magmorph

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BobTheJoeBob said:
Uncle FEFL said:
BobTheJoeBob said:

He made us knowing that we were going to do it. He is responsible for everything we do.

BobTheJoeBob

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
TrolleyDave said:
But again, right and wrong or evil and good is subjective. What's good in one religion is bad in another, what's good in secular society is bad in religion, what's good in one culture is bad in another and so on. If you left a child with no education on the subject in the forest and came back when he was older (if he sruvived obviously lol) would he know right from wrong and good from evil, or would he just know survival instinct?
Which is why there are books to distinct from right or wrong.

Magmorph said:
BobTheJoeBob said:
Uncle FEFL said:
QUOTE(BobTheJoeBob @ Sep 12 2010, 10:16 AM) The "If there's good, why is there evil?" argument has been answered many times, the simplest answer being is that as long as humans have free will there will be evil. There's many more arguments though, aside from that one; google is your friend.

He made us knowing that we were going to do it. He is responsible for everything we do.
Your right, but does it change the fact that we have a choice to be good or evil? And may I add that you said that in a way suggesting that god is in fact real, sorry, couldn't resist pointing that out.
tongue.gif

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Uncle FEFL said:
ether2802 said:
if GOD doesn't exist, how do you explain LIFE exist...?? not evolution, life itself, there's plenty of things without life (rocks, water, fire, steel, etc etc etc)...!!There's plenty of theories out there describing how life came about. God isn't in one of them.

Atoms aren't alive, therefore things like rocks, fire, and steel, aren't alive. Life came about, theoretically, through a single-celled organism. Most likely a prokaryote.

QUOTEand even things without life, might believe in GOD..!!
smile.gif
You need a conscious mind to believe in anything.

and yet no proof of that either, uh...??
wink.gif

and I said might, still, we can only think or believe on what we have heard, seen or learned, if someone comes and say out loud that GOD is waiting for us at the sun and the planet is gettin' closer and closer to the sun, with the help of a few good people of the science and a TV show, everyone would believe it, but there's always always always always always always, someone who is going to spend all of his effort in making it look like a lie, am I right..?? so go and enjoy your free will, believe in GOD, or not, HE will love you no matter what, and I will help you hack your Wii......no matter what...!!
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @light27, i wanted a Wii u as a kid when i watched a Mario kart 8 commercial on tv