Hacking Reliability of Cyclo ds evolution

sueil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well my black evolution arrived today. Works like a charm. The microsd sticks up 1mm or so, but that doesn't really bother me at all, it's hardly noticable.

mojoex

Trophies
Website
ordaria.net
XP
Country
yeah the new black batch of Cyclo's have the MicroSD sticking up a lil bit, but its nothing major seeing as they're alot more reliable and durable.
i've dropped mine twice and its in my bag a lot of the time, when i ride my bike and walk n stuff, so its been knocked around a bit. haven't had a single problem
wink.gif

Unchi-san

Unchi on a stick! yay~
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
damn seems like the cyclods has mixed reviews...... Im thinking about getting my GF an R4 or cyclo... what is better you think? price is not an issue, but moreso reliability/user friendliness.

sueil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
damn seems like the cyclods has mixed reviews...... Im thinking about getting my GF an R4 or cyclo... what is better you think? price is not an issue, but moreso reliability/user friendliness.

The early cyclos had problems sure. The new ones work fine though and have no reliability issues. If price isn't an issue the cyclo is clearly the better card. Just make sure you get her a black one so you know for sure it's a new model and you won't regret it.

TheNeck

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hey, Ngentot-

>There's no information on the Cyclo DS website regarding the warranty period

After sniffing around a bit, I came across this page. Apparently they announced about a week and a half ago that they're not going to handle replacements themselves anymore; instead, they'll refer you back to the store you bought the cart from. Mine came from RHS, and their warranty period is 90 days, so I suspect I am SOL.

Stanthebat, I also got a CycloDS from RHS, June 2007, which unfortanately died on me in November, so I checked with RHS in November and they told me to contact TC about getting a replacement. But i never got it replaced by TC, because i had to ship it to France, which my lazy ass never did. But this past week I was able to get RHS to replace it for me since TC changed their policy. So just go to this link, to submit a support ticket, and make sure to log into your account before submitting the ticket and RHS will replace it for you.

bobfernando

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ive had mine for about a month now, and I immediatly updated to FW 1.3B1 the first time i booted it. I then updated it to 1.3B2 about 10 minutes of Team Cyclops releasing the firmware. No problem with the updating or the RTS or in game menu.

After a few hours, the error reports started coming in. A few percentage of the community had either got a bricked Cyclo, or had to reformat their uSD(HC) cards. (Just goes to show how you should always back up your stuff about once a week.

But no, no problems as of yet.

Wightslayer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
That's great! I might get one then...since g6real FAILS...
And my friend would like to ask if the Cyclo is "n00b friendly" cos she's a n00b at this stuff and she wants to knwo if it's worth paying th moeny to get a cyclo...

cutterjohn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey! My replacement Evolution finally showed up on Saturday! They sent me a black one, which is nice as I've got an Onyx DS Lite. The build quality seems WAY WAY WAY higher than what my original white Evo(DOA) that I got in December was like. The shell seems to be sturdier, and fit into slot-1 better overall. Also mine had the uSD that sticks out a little, but I find that to be a feature IMO as I virtually have no fingernails, and it makes it easier for me to remove the uSD.

Anyways, worked like a charm. Came with fimware v1.2 (as usual), upgraded it to 1.3B1, then to 1.3B3 today. Ran it for several hours over the weekend finishing off the second last PW:AA case, and starting the last case.

Ran dslinux, Pocket Physics 0.5, lameboy, Rudolph's GBA ExpLoader 0.3, etc.

Started up a bunch of other games, e.g. Etrian Odyssey, Final Fantasy III, Magical Starsign, Tao's Adventure, Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin noproblems as far as loading went, and then loading a save game.

In the official thread someone mention FFTA2 failed to load properly. I haven't bothered to verify it as AFAIK it's all in Japanese which makes it too much of a hassle to try to figure out assuming that it'd even start. (Had been prior reports of FFTA2 starting, but corrupting saves somehow, and TC have the same problem that I do: Japanese is a PITA.)

[EDIT]
@WightSlayer:
Yeah, the Evolution is DEFINITELY n00b friendly as most of the options are controlled via it's settings menu, and then for cheats at least if they're enabled and there are cheats for a game it will ASK you when starting the game if you want to enable cheats, then present a list of possible cheats to enable IIRC.

Launching ROMs/apps is simple as the leftmost icon take you to a ROM/app listing, highlight the ROM/app press A and away it goes.

RTS is enable by holding select when you press A to launch a ROM IIRC (hardly ever use it myself).

ROM/app installation is simply dragging and dropping the app/ROM to whatever directory you want to have them in or in the case of some homebrews where they instruct you to install them.

The only thing that people really seem to have problems with is installing the Evolution version of Moonshell(with soft-reset hack) for some reason as it come in a rar archive which just requires extraction then dumping the moonshl directory to the root level of your uSD, but it seems like so many morons manage to fail at this...

Alternatively, whatshisname that does DSOrganize archives his latest releases with a modified version of the moonshl directory such that the medi icon(middle) on the Evo will load DSOrganize instead of moonshell if people would rather have DSO v. moonshell. (I've never tried it, as I prefer moonshell for media, and am happy running DSO separately.)

Of course, the only thing like a remotely complicated flash cart that I've seen for the DS would be the Supercard DS One SDHC, but that is because all of the options can be set on a per ROM basis, and there are several patching options. That said, even that cart is not too terribly difficult, and a novice should even be able to run that one w/o problem if they leave the settings on default, other than changing the speed of their uSD as it defaults to a VERY ssssslllllooooowwww speed for compatibility. IOW the Supercard has more manual control options not-applicable to n00bs...
[/EDIT]

maxpowersin

Trophies
XP
Country
India
I am happy cutterjohn that you finally had your problems solved. You were working very hard to get a Replacement. Glad you finally did
smile.gif

cutterjohn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am happy cutterjohn that you finally had your problems solved. You were working very hard to get a Replacement. Glad you finally didÂ
smile.gif
Well, I figured that their support crew were pretty useless, so if I wanted a replacement I'd have to work at it.
biggrin.gif
It's really better having the vendors replace them now, as they're more likely to be closer to the customer, and should be more motivated to keep their customer happy by replacing faulty units when/if necessary. (The manufacturer sub-contracted to build the carts, as I had suspected, was doing the earlier direct from TC replacements. They lied/sucked/failed.)

Anyways, I was fairly surprised, OOC I lifted the address label that was apparently placed over the original by USPS or US Customs, and saw that the package had been mailed out on 2/20/08, arrived in the US 2/21/08, and I received it on 2/23/08. I had to sign for it though, so they MAY have tried to deliver it on Friday when no one was around...

Like I said before, but it bears repeating the build quality of this new card is just so much better, the shell is sturdier, it fit slot-1 more cleanly, can't really notice the FPGA sticking up any longer, etc. It actually seems to be a bit better build quality (or maybe about the same) as my SCDS1 SDHC that I got to use while awaiting this one.

Also it's nice to see that TC is apparently going to start being more active in releasing beta builds of their firmware and, hopedully, final releases. I'm hoping that the re-design of the Evo just distracted them for a while from working on the Evo firmware.

Bigmac8484

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am so confused!
wacko.gif
I really want this to be me
yaynds.gif
with a flash card, but Idk what to get i was thinking m3 simply or cyclo evo, but I don't know bout cyclo reliability and has anyone had any problems with the new ones. I am so worried to spend money then be SOL ya know? Also, does anyone know if m3 simply reliability? ozmod help me out! lol

TheNeck

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I am so confused!Â
wacko.gif
I really want this to be meÂ
yaynds.gif
with a flash card, but Idk what to get i was thinking m3 simply or cyclo evo, but I don't know bout cyclo reliability and has anyone had any problems with the new ones. I am so worried to spend money then be SOL ya know? Also, does anyone know if m3 simply reliability? ozmod help me out! lol

The new cyclo evo's should be fine, i got a new black evo from RHS last week and it is working perfectly. Also I recommend getting your evo from RHS since you live in the US.

Sorry I cant answer your question about the M3 since i never had one, but what about an R4? Ive had a couple that I gave away as xmas gifts and they have worked out great.

sueil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't had any problems with mine. Also OZ posted that he has 1 out of 500 returned, that one due to a bad flash. That should be all the proof you need that the new ones are reliable.

maxpowersin

Trophies
XP
Country
India
Holy Crap.... that's a whole lot of defective cyclos..

This is the only thing going against TC for the time being.. Everything else seems to be perfect with cyclo IMO

euphemism

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Holy Crap.... that's a whole lot of defective cyclos..

This is the only thing going against TC for the time being.. Everything else seems to be perfect with cyclo IMO

No, that's what they had going against them for the time past. The evolution failure rate is as low as any other piece of electronic equipment now. No more mass quantities of broken cards.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @BakerMan needs more expand dong