[Released]Wii U Ancast Keys

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Bobbybangin, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Bobbybangin
    OP

Bobbybangin GBAtemp Regular

Aug 9, 2010
    United States
    The Wii U Ancast Keys were leaked today and uploaded to Wii Brew. The remaining keys needed now are the common keys etc. We're almost there.

Espresso vWii ancast key
    *Censored*

Espresso Wii U ancast key
    *Censored*

Source (It's not like you don't know where to look)

nzel5004, eco95, wj44 and 7 others like this.

2. jammybudga777

jammybudga777 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 23, 2013
    good too see progress dude :)

Bobbybangin likes this.
  3. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Much like it was the case with the DSi Common Key, GBATemp isn't going to host this kind of information. All such keys are integral parts of the firmware and as such are considered "copyrighted Nintendo material" - those who are interested in obtaining them know where to look. ;)

4. jammybudga777

Aug 23, 2013
    they wont be of any use to anybody yet would they? im a newbie so takes me a little while to get my head round things lol

5. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    It doesn't matter if the keys are of any use or not - the DSi Common Key wasn't for 99% of people who's seen it. The point is that the keys are a part of the firmware and a firmware is a part of the system which is protected by copyright law, see SCE America vs. George Hotz for details (although that case ended with a settlement, there may be better examples available). Long story short, look for the keys elsewhere.

6. Bobbybangin
    OP

Aug 9, 2010
    United States
    Seeing as the hack is almost complete, they've been useful. This is actually old news, but it's new to those that didn't know.

jammybudga777 likes this.
  7. linuxares

linuxares GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 5, 2007
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't f0f publish all of this in Jaunary? With the common keys and everything?

8. NWPlayer123

NWPlayer123 GBAtemp Addict

Feb 17, 2012
    United States
    The Everfree Forest
    That was the SHA1 hashes, not the actual keys themselves.

filfat and Bobbybangin like this.
  9. Bobbybangin
    OP

Aug 9, 2010
    United States
    No, they published the hashed version of the keys. These are the unhashed keys.

10. jammybudga777

Aug 23, 2013
    yea i remember that case of geohot lol i was a ps3 fan boy for a while when it all kicked off :)

i thought i just read somewhere about the ancast key. cant find it know but what is its purpose?

11. NWPlayer123

Feb 17, 2012
    United States
    The Everfree Forest
  12. Bobbybangin
    OP

Aug 9, 2010
    United States
    George Hotz was sued for releasing an exploit, not the keys. Much like the BootRom Dump and the SDK, the keys on their own do nothing.

13. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    That is incorrect.
    The restraining order was a direct result of him posting the keys.

Anywho, this thread is not about Hotz, it's about the Wii U ancast keys discovery.

14. emmanu888

emmanu888 6 years and still going strong

Jan 25, 2009
    Canada
    Victoriaville,Qu├ębec
    With those keys in the wild along with the other keys. I guess that means hacking the Wii U is inevitable and could happen any day, right ?

15. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    If someone cares enough to make any use of them, sure. Keep in mind that they've been "making the rounds" for quite some time now, or so I understand. ;)

16. Vappy

Vappy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 23, 2012
    How complete is "almost"? :P Last I saw marionumber1 say, it was still going to be a long wait before it was finished.

Would f0f have shared them with the small group of devs they also shared details on their exploit with?

yuyuyup likes this.
  17. NWPlayer123

Feb 17, 2012
    United States
    The Everfree Forest
    Well, we still have to get the Starbuck OTP keys, this is just the Espresso keys. Then we can move on to finding an exploit and setting up a reliable homebrew method to start a scene with. But yes, you could say that.

18. Bobbybangin
    OP

Aug 9, 2010
    United States
    That's a motion of discovery for a restraining order, not the lawsuit. Sony sued him after he released the exploit, as you can see by the dates.

At any rate, I don't care if you delete or close this thread. I only posted it because I knew somebody else would. Also, I believe sharing it would help get the info into devs hands that would help with a free softmod, that would circumvent a needless ODDE devices. I actually even have a private message that predicted what would happen to this post, if/when I posted it on GBAtemp,before I even posted it. I've had other threads deleted, while an identical thread was allowed. I've also had an article deleted and I was told not to copy/paste an article. When I posted a screen shot that showed that it wasn't a copy/paste, before it was deleted, the mod told me, "my bad, I didn't read it". I expect as much as the OP to be butchered here.

19. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

Could you define "almost complete"? To my knowledge, we still have one helluva road ahead of us. We're constantly told of things that happen behind the scenes, PMs are sent back and forth between anonymous people or what have you, and yet, not a damn thing has changed. The Wii U scene is in a catatonic state as far as I'm concerned.

I don't have high hopes to be perfectly honest, hackers are only afraid at the kind of backlash that may happen when released, so, it'll be withheld indefinitely IMHO.

20. Bobbybangin
    OP

Aug 9, 2010
    United States
    As I said, this is old news to those who had it. The hack is almost complete. It may not be released for a while, but it's near done.