Homebrew Homebrew app [Release] Video player for 3DS

Core_2_Extreme

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
This issues occurs with .mp4 files translated with both of my encoders (ShanaEncoder and Any Video Converter). The frame rate is 23.976fps and the resolution is 800x480. The bitrate for the files is anywhere between 650Kbps and 850Kbps with 800px mode enabled. I've tried disabling multi-threaded decoding and it didn't help. Also, I'm on a New 3DS. This happens to anime and converted backed up Marvel movies. There is at least 1 new anime that this does not occur on, I think. I think the desync might be constant (not increasing or decreasing throughout playback), but I could very easily be wrong. It's definitely not the same as the original audio desync issue in the early versions where it got noticeably progressively worse the longer the video played.

I've tested these converted files on my computer and the audio is just fine, so it's the app on the 3DS that is causing the desync. Or maybe I just have a corrupted config file somewhere? I can do any testing you need me to do or send you video files that have the problem (seems to be almost everything now that I am digging in). Thanks again for all of your hard work.
ok, so could you provide your both video that audio desync and won't desync?
And what encoder settings did you use?

gurufabbes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Just to let you know: I tried this out a few months ago and no video I played worked probably with constant sound clipping.

Tried the new version again last week with the same videos and they all run perfectly.
Great job. One of the best apps on the 3ds,

Reactions: Core_2_Extreme

Zeninari

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I Have A Question And I Know This Is Gonna Sound Weird But Anyways I Might As Well.

So It Is Will The Application Ever Have Support For Tagged Mp3 Files?

So Hear Me Out All Right? I Was Screwing Around Like Usual On My 3ds When I Got An Idea To Just Try It And See What Happens. To My Surprise When I Played My File It Actually Had The Album Art Show Up And Played The Song! Man That Was Interesting.

But I Did Note That Any Album Art Probably Below 1000 x 1000 Glitched Out On The Bottom And Right Side. As Well As The Time Bar Broke Along With Attempting To Seek.

The Photos Show This Working In Action.

But Anyways I Just Wanna Know If Its A Coincidence That This Works, sort of Or Is It An Upcoming Feature? xD

(also i just know found out some songs might break the system(crash) edit: i believe its with albums that aren't perfect squares . . .) But Yea It Has A Volume Booster Which Is Nice Because Some Of My Songs Are Low Volume :-P(but attempting to do it with an mp3 up just LAGSSS the menu xD)

Edit2: It Seems Some Cant Be Decoded Because Of Memory Running Out. I Dont Blame It Decoding A 5000 x 5000 Picture Is A Lot XD

Anywhoo~ Still Love This For What Its Meant For. I Couldn't Have Asked For A Better Mp4 Player!

Attachments

• 2022-01-25_15-22-03.826_top_400x240.bmp
    281.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 2022-01-25_15-22-03.826_bot.bmp
    225.1 KB · Views: 74
Last edited by Zeninari,

Core_2_Extreme

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
But I Did Note That Any Album Art Probably Below 1000 x 1000 Glitched Out On The Bottom And Right Side. As Well As The Time Bar Broke Along With Attempting To Seek.

But Anyways I Just Wanna Know If Its A Coincidence That This Works, sort of Or Is It An Upcoming Feature? xD
ecoding A 5000 x 5000 Picture Is A Lot XD
About glitched picture, usually video resolution needs to be multiple of 16 (e.g. 16, 32, 48, 64 ...) so if you don't use multiple of 16 say 1000*1000 will be 1008*1008 internally.
About seek, I'll fix it.
Actually, this is coincidence but I'll try to support it (but definitely not for 5000*5000 picture).

(also i just know found out some songs might break the system(crash) edit: i believe its with albums that aren't perfect squares . . .) But Yea It Has A Volume Booster Which Is Nice Because Some Of My Songs Are Low Volume :-P(but attempting to do it with an mp3 up just LAGSSS the menu xD)
Maybe some mp3 contains unsupported picture format but I'm not sure without mp3 file.
Due to its working method, you are expected to see 1~5 seconds lag to apply volume changes.

Reactions: CrashMidnick

Zeninari

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
About glitched picture, usually video resolution needs to be multiple of 16 (e.g. 16, 32, 48, 64 ...) so if you don't use multiple of 16 say 1000*1000 will be 1008*1008 internally.
About seek, I'll fix it.
Actually, this is coincidence but I'll try to support it (but definitely not for 5000*5000 picture).

Maybe some mp3 contains unsupported picture format but I'm not sure without mp3 file.
Due to its working method, you are expected to see 1~5 seconds lag to apply volume changes.

I Dont Know What To Say, This Was An Answer I Was Not Expecting :)

How Interesting, A Multiple Of 16 hmmm

Also That 5000 By 5000 Picture Was A Surprise As I Didn't Know I Had One That Had Such A Large Album. XD Also Dont Worry You Wont Need To Support That XD (i will probably downgrade that art to something more simple)

Well Anyways It May Be Too Much To Ask, But You See I Am Surprised That All Of The Mp3 Players, Can't Show Album Art But Most Unfortunately Can't Read The Tags Set Like The Album Name And Genre. Well Anyways If You Could Support Reading All The Tags On It I Would Be Eternally Grateful.

Anywhoo~ I Wanted To Say Some Other Bugs That May Need To Be Fixed.

1. If You Try To Change The Volume (Boost Or Un-Boost) It Causes A Serious LAG Spike (my guess is the frame rate as sometimes i can see it glitching out between 1 and 0 even though its just a photo)

2. Sometimes The Audio Will Go To A Television Static Sound But Ill See If I Can Replicate That.

3. You Said It Before But Yes The Seek Is Broken

4. Along With Seeking, If You Attempt To Seek And Then Do Anything Else There's A 90% Chance The System Will Crash. .-. oh well XD

5. Also Some Of My Files Just Crash The System Outright And I Have No Idea Why? hmm . . . (based on the luma crash handler it says This: Fault Status: Precise External Abort And Alignment . . .

6. I Will Post Anything Else As Now That You Said You Will Try I Will Attempt To Debug Like I Did Before With Other Issues :D

And Also Tell Me If You Decide Not To Do It So I Can Stop Almost Breaking My System XD Still I Love Debugging For People Like You, It Feels As If Im Really Helping A Developer, As A Special Developer Test Team :)

Anyways Stay Safe, And Thanks For This Amazing Mp4 Player!

Also Here:

Below Is A File That Has A 500 x 500(512 x 512) Picture And If You Want You Can Use It For Debugging. Basically Yes Not A Multiple Of 16. Also Below Is One Named Supercharge. That One Is An Example Of One That Breaks Immediately. Im Not Sure Of The Size For This One(because my chromebook can't tell me album art size)
-

Attachments

• ♪ Chime & MDK - Arcade Dwellers ♪.mp3
    5.1 MB
  • ♪ MDK & meganeko - Supercharge ♪.mp3
    5.7 MB
Last edited by Zeninari,

Core_2_Extreme

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
1. If You Try To Change The Volume (Boost Or Un-Boost) It Causes A Serious LAG Spike (my guess is the frame rate as sometimes i can see it glitching out between 1 and 0 even though its just a photo)
I confirmed that software keyboard shows up so slowly, does this what you mean?

2. Sometimes The Audio Will Go To A Television Static Sound But Ill See If I Can Replicate That.
I'm not sure, but you may boost volume too much.

3. You Said It Before But Yes The Seek Is Broken

4. Along With Seeking, If You Attempt To Seek And Then Do Anything Else There's A 90% Chance The System Will Crash. .-. oh well XD
Seek is broken but, I couldn't reproduce system crash by mp3 file that you provide.
Anyway, I'll fix seek problem first.

5. Also Some Of My Files Just Crash The System Outright And I Have No Idea Why? hmm . . . (based on the luma crash handler it says This: Fault Status: Precise External Abort And Alignment . . .

Also Here:

Below Is A File That Has A 500 x 500(512 x 512) Picture And If You Want You Can Use It For Debugging. Basically Yes Not A Multiple Of 16. Also Below Is One Named Supercharge. That One Is An Example Of One That Breaks Immediately. Im Not Sure Of The Size For This One(because my chromebook can't tell me album art size)
-
Second file (crash immediately) contains unsupported pixel format (library supports it but my app doesn't).
I should display error message instead of crash system.

6. I Will Post Anything Else As Now That You Said You Will Try I Will Attempt To Debug Like I Did Before With Other Issues :D

And Also Tell Me If You Decide Not To Do It So I Can Stop Almost Breaking My System XD Still I Love Debugging For People Like You, It Feels As If Im Really Helping A Developer, As A Special Developer Test Team :)

Anyways Stay Safe, And Thanks For This Amazing Mp4 Player!
Thank you for a lot of feedback, it is so helpful for development.

Zeninari

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I confirmed that software keyboard shows up so slowly, does this what you mean?
Yes
I'm not sure, but you may boost volume too much.
Well Not Really. I Was Using Regular Volume And For Some Reason After The Song Ended It Played Music Static For Like 5 Seconds. I Still Dont Know Why It Happened.
Seek is broken but, I couldn't reproduce system crash by mp3 file that you provide.
Anyway, I'll fix seek problem first.
Interesting. OH I FORGOT! I Meant That It Freezes For Me, Which In My Eyes Is A Crash Because The System Stops Responding(my bad for not clarifying that)
Second file (crash immediately) contains unsupported pixel format (library supports it but my app doesn't).
I should display error message instead of crash system.
Wow . . . Unsupported Pixel Format? i learn so many amazing things every day, i had no idea that was even a thing xD
Also When It Comes To This It Is The Pictures Format Correct? Or Am I Wrong? I Can Always Apply One That Works By Using A Different Format.(is it pixel color or just the .NAME?)
Thank you for a lot of feedback, it is so helpful for development.
No Problem, It Is My Pleasure. I Just Wish I Was Smart Enough To Make Something As Complicated As This x)

Also Sorry For The Late Reply, I Was Dealing With School. So Yeah My Bad For Not Checking Sooner. ^^

EDIT: also i forgot, the pause is broken, but you probably know that . . .

Last edited by Zeninari,

AleronIves

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to support downmixing 5.1 tracks to 2.0 during playback? You can usually do this with the -ac 2 switch on ffmpeg, although the volume will decrease by default, because downmixing requires adding the channels together, which may cause clipping. The volume is usually reduced to prevent this.

You can avoid the volume reduction by using a command like this:

ffmpeg -i in.ac3 -ac 2 -acodec pcm_f32le out.wav

Floating-point LPCM can't clip, so you can downmix without reducing the volume, unlike when you downmix to an integer LPCM format. (The default output format is pcm_s16le.)

Core_2_Extreme

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Well Not Really. I Was Using Regular Volume And For Some Reason After The Song Ended It Played Music Static For Like 5 Seconds. I Still Dont Know Why It Happened.
Hmm, I can't reproduce it.
Can you provide file that can reproduce it?

Interesting. OH I FORGOT! I Meant That It Freezes For Me, Which In My Eyes Is A Crash Because The System Stops Responding(my bad for not clarifying that)
EDIT: also i forgot, the pause is broken, but you probably know that . . .
I fixed seek related problem (and software keyboard).
Please wait for next version to release.

Wow . . . Unsupported Pixel Format? i learn so many amazing things every day, i had no idea that was even a thing xD
Also When It Comes To This It Is The Pictures Format Correct? Or Am I Wrong? I Can Always Apply One That Works By Using A Different Format.(is it pixel color or just the .NAME?)
Basically, unsupported picture format (but not unsupported compression format).
There are many way to express "color" .
e.g. This page explains RGB888 and RGB565 (and hot how to convert it).

Also Sorry For The Late Reply, I Was Dealing With School. So Yeah My Bad For Not Checking Sooner. ^^
That's no problem, I also don't reply soon.

Last edited by Core_2_Extreme,

Core_2_Extreme

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Is it possible to support downmixing 5.1 tracks to 2.0 during playback? You can usually do this with the -ac 2 switch on ffmpeg, although the volume will decrease by default, because downmixing requires adding the channels together, which may cause clipping. The volume is usually reduced to prevent this.

You can avoid the volume reduction by using a command like this:

ffmpeg -i in.ac3 -ac 2 -acodec pcm_f32le out.wav

Floating-point LPCM can't clip, so you can downmix without reducing the volume, unlike when you downmix to an integer LPCM format. (The default output format is pcm_s16le.)
I don't understand clearly, but I think 3DS speakers use pcm_s16le so if I use f32le, there is no way to play it on 3DS.
Also you can use volume booster to boost volume during playback.

AleronIves

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, you can use pcm_f32le for downmixing to prevent the volume decrease, then convert pcm_f32le to pcm_s16le in a second step if necessary. Compressed audio such as MP3, AAC, and AC3 all use floating point internally, so you have to convert from pcm_f32le to pcm_s16le during playback, anyway. When dealing with 5.1 -> 2.0 audio conversions, you want to convert from pcm_f32le to pcm_s16le after downmixing, not before.

Core_2_Extreme

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Well, you can use pcm_f32le for downmixing to prevent the volume decrease, then convert pcm_f32le to pcm_s16le in a second step if necessary. Compressed audio such as MP3, AAC, and AC3 all use floating point internally, so you have to convert from pcm_f32le to pcm_s16le during playback, anyway. When dealing with 5.1 -> 2.0 audio conversions, you want to convert from pcm_f32le to pcm_s16le after downmixing, not before.
I see.
I'll add it to my todo list.

Reactions: AleronIves

JoelSonamShah

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Do you plan on adding a link video player option? It can be used to play videos without downloading them or to watch videos which are not on thirdtube. or if easier then maybe a ftp video player in which the 3ds connects to a ftp server and plays an mp4 stored on it would be good.

Zeninari

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, I can't reproduce it.
Can you provide file that can reproduce it?
I Can See If The File That It Happened To Can Reproduce It, But Currently I Cant Test It As I Had To Wipe My System Recently. I Am Currently Restoring My Files.
Basically, unsupported picture format (but not unsupported compression format).
There are many way to express "color" .
e.g. This page explains RGB888 and RGB565 (and hot to convert it).
Thanks ^^ (and "and "hot" to convert it" xD)

Core_2_Extreme

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Do you plan on adding a link video player option? It can be used to play videos without downloading them or to watch videos which are not on thirdtube. or if easier then maybe a ftp video player in which the 3ds connects to a ftp server and plays an mp4 stored on it would be good.
Currently, there is no plan to support video streaming, but I may add ftp transfer inside of video player for 3ds so that you can transfer files without using third party software in the future.

Reactions: JoelSonamShah

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended