Homebrew [Release] PicoDrive for 3DS

sleepingkirby

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sweet, thank you!
Were you ever like, "Man, I wish I had a cheat code for Monopoly or Clue on the SNES." Of course not. But apparently I did... Here's the rest of the SNES cheats that I felt were worth passing on. The rest are pretty generic. Yes, there's a cheat code to move as many spaces as you want in Clue and a dice modifier for monopoly. I would be lying if I said I don't know why I made those. The answer is, because I could and I was waiting for people to get ready to head out to a family dinner.

Attachments

• snes_chts_2.zip
    1.8 KB · Views: 77
Reactions: Tarmfot and Hark0n

Hark0n

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Were you ever like, "Man, I wish I had a cheat code for Monopoly or Clue on the SNES." Of course not. But apparently I did... Here's the rest of the SNES cheats that I felt were worth passing on. The rest are pretty generic. Yes, there's a cheat code to move as many spaces as you want in Clue and a dice modifier for monopoly. I would be lying if I said I don't know why I made those. The answer is, because I could and I was waiting for people to get ready to head out to a family dinner.
LOL, I will add those to my collection and share my work when it is done... I'll make sure to credit you for your contribution... especially for fixing that damn bug in the Picodrive!

Reactions: sleepingkirby

sleepingkirby

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LOL, I will add those to my collection and share my work when it is done... I'll make sure to credit you for your contribution... especially for fixing that damn bug in the Picodrive!
Well, I figure I might as well do GBA next. Though Tales of Phantasia is going to take a day within itself. It's my favorite game so there's a lot. I have the memory mapped for items, item slots, skills, exp, stats (here's a fun fact. Just about any character in that game can use any magic. Including the archer.), name slot, equip slots, etc. I don't think I can cram the spreadsheet into a file, but I should be able to get the range in there. Once I'm done there, I'll go through my NES games. I think I still have the Zelda 2 code that turns all the actors into a fairy. Like all of it. Including doors and even the shrine that you put the crystals onto... causing your game to be soft locked.

Hark0n

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well, I figure I might as well do GBA next. Though Tales of Phantasia is going to take a day within itself. It's my favorite game so there's a lot. I have the memory mapped for items, item slots, skills, exp, stats (here's a fun fact. Just about any character in that game can use any magic. Including the archer.), name slot, equip slots, etc. I don't think I can cram the spreadsheet into a file, but I should be able to get the range in there. Once I'm done there, I'll go through my NES games. I think I still have the Zelda 2 code that turns all the actors into a fairy. Like all of it. Including doors and even the shrine that you put the crystals onto... causing your game to be soft locked.
Man I do hope endrift implements cheat code functionality for the 3DS versions of the mGBA some time in the hopefully not too distant future...

Last edited by Hark0n,

sleepingkirby

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man I do hope endrift implements cheat code functionality for the 3DS versions of the mGBA some time in the hopefully not too distant future...
I think it already does? The repo says cheat support. I'd test it out but I don't have a new 3ds.
https://github.com/mgba-emu/mgba/blob/master/README.md

I can't tell (not in the mood to scan through code atm) if that's for all compiles or just select compiles.

Hark0n

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I think it already does? The repo says cheat support. I'd test it out but I don't have a new 3ds.
https://github.com/mgba-emu/mgba/blob/master/README.md

I can't tell (not in the mood to scan through code atm) if that's for all compiles or just select compiles.
Well I am running the latest official release on my new2DSXL, and it does not have cheat support implemented. So I guess it is not ready for release yet?

sleepingkirby

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I am running the latest official release on my new2DSXL, and it does not have cheat support implemented. So I guess it is not ready for release yet?
*skims through code* So, as far as I can tell, it's in the core of the emulator. I'm guessing it doesn't have an interface to it. The compiled version doesn't run on my 3ds emulator (what I use to test picodrive). I'll update it tonight and see if I can run mgba for 3ds in some capacity. If I can't, there isn't much I can do. If I can, well, this shouldn't be that much harder than picodrive... I think...

Hark0n

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
*skims through code* So, as far as I can tell, it's in the core of the emulator. I'm guessing it doesn't have an interface to it. The compiled version doesn't run on my 3ds emulator (what I use to test picodrive). I'll update it tonight and see if I can run mgba for 3ds in some capacity. If I can't, there isn't much I can do. If I can, well, this shouldn't be that much harder than picodrive... I think...
Well most ports have it already functional but for some reason the 3ds port does not. Only endrift really knows why. Maybe go to the mGBA discord and ask? I only lurk there, since I am just a user with no programming skills whatsoever and have little to offer to the conversation.

sleepingkirby

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well most ports have it already functional but for some reason the 3ds port does not. Only endrift really knows why. Maybe go to the mGBA discord and ask? I only lurk there, since I am just a user with no programming skills whatsoever and have little to offer to the conversation.
Yeah, that's a better idea than me just going through code again. Guess I'm just use to doing first before asking. I did find this:
https://forums.mgba.io/showthread.php?tid=4978&highlight=cheat
I'm in the middle of upgrading my OS. The latest linux citra requires higher versions of libc and qt5 so I'm upgrade to see if the latest version citra will run mgba.

sleepingkirby

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From the IRC channel:
(09:18:07 PM) sleepingkirby: Hi. Does anyone know why mgba doesn't support cheat codes on versions outside the pc version? It is a technical thing or is it just something like the interface wasn't made?
(09:33:49 PM) profi200: I think it's just the cheats menu that's missing, isn't it? I have not tried but maybe place a file containing cheats in the same folder as the ROM and see if it works.
(09:34:31 PM) profi200: File name should be the same as the ROM except the extension.

Give it a shot if you already have it installed.

Hark0n

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
From the IRC channel:
(09:18:07 PM) sleepingkirby: Hi. Does anyone know why mgba doesn't support cheat codes on versions outside the pc version? It is a technical thing or is it just something like the interface wasn't made?
(09:33:49 PM) profi200: I think it's just the cheats menu that's missing, isn't it? I have not tried but maybe place a file containing cheats in the same folder as the ROM and see if it works.
(09:34:31 PM) profi200: File name should be the same as the ROM except the extension.

Give it a shot if you already have it installed.
What kind of file, and how should the code be written in it? The same as in bubbles emulators? I, ll try that later.

sleepingkirby

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What kind of file, and how should the code be written in it? The same as in bubbles emulators? I, ll try that later.
According to the forums and Profi2000, pretty much:
1) make a cheat file on the PC version. (i.e. get a cheat code for a game. Open a game in the emulator, enter and save the cheat code. It'll create a file with the same name as the .gba file but with another extension.)
2) make sure find the file. Copy both the .gba file and the cheat file (I don't know the cheat file's extension) onto the 3ds's sd card.
3) load the game in mGBA on the 3ds.
4) check that the cheat works.

As for the cheat format, I know it's PAR (like: 03000000:03e7) but as for the rest, I don't know. I suspect the pc version will help you with that. Once my machine is done upgrading, I'll try it out.

Hark0n

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
According to the forums and Profi2000, pretty much:
1) make a cheat file on the PC version. (i.e. get a cheat code for a game. Open a game in the emulator, enter and save the cheat code. It'll create a file with the same name as the .gba file but with another extension.)
2) make sure find the file. Copy both the .gba file and the cheat file (I don't know the cheat file's extension) onto the 3ds's sd card.
3) load the game in mGBA on the 3ds.
4) check that the cheat works.

As for the cheat format, I know it's PAR (like: 03000000:03e7) but as for the rest, I don't know. I suspect the pc version will help you with that. Once my machine is done upgrading, I'll try it out.
Man... if you see how many cheat codes I put in how many .chx files for both snes9x and picodrive you'll understand that this is something ill probably sink 100 or more hours into... so ill like to make sur that this time is not wasted XD

sleepingkirby

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man... if you see how many cheat codes I put in how many .chx files for both snes9x and picodrive you'll understand that this is something ill probably sink 100 or more hours into... so ill like to make sur that this time is not wasted XD
Whelp, finished upgrading. Citra still can't run mgba. But I was able to generate a mgba cheat file. It's as I theorized, go into the emulator and generate the cheat. It'll be named <game>.cheats. The resulting file is plain text but does have formatting.

Hark0n

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Whelp, finished upgrading. Citra still can't run mgba. But I was able to generate a mgba cheat file. It's as I theorized, go into the emulator and generate the cheat. It'll be named <game>.cheats. The resulting file is plain text but does have formatting.
I'll finish the .ctx files for the picodrive... will take me a week o so... after that ill take a look into the mgba cheat function.

hitman23

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi
I have searched but havent found a solution yet so I was wondering if anyone has a fix.
I have tried picodrive v0.94 and v0.94b via .cia file but I cannot get final fight cd, fatal fury special and sonic cd to boot. I CAN however get them to boot if I use .3dsx file. I prefer not to use .3dsx option if possible since its not placed on the homescreen like a cia file unless I am missing something. I can also get them to boot if I use cia file v0.93 but since there is no cheat support on that version I would prefer not to use it. All other sega cd games I tried boot fine.

Now the error I am getting is the black screen with text saying "An exception occurred"
Processor: Arm11 (core 0)
Exception Type: data abort
Fault Status: Translation - Section
Current process: PicoDriv (0004000000384C00)

I have tried this on a new 3ds xl on latest fw and on 2ds xl with last fw, both with the same boot issue.
The roms are from no-intro dump but I have tried other dump versions as well. They are all in the bin\cue format. The cue files seem to have the correct info for the bin files as well.

I hope I included enough info to figure this out IF there is a solution.

Thanks in advance.

**UPDATE: I switched to retroarch and everything works fine now so I will just stick with that.**

Last edited by hitman23,

FNAF_Creep

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi! I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but can someone help me with Sonic CD and it lacking music (SFX are present)? I'm playing on the latest version of PicoDrive (v0.94) on my 3DS XL. I've created a folder that I labelled "bios", since the "picodrive_3ds" folder didn't originally have it. I put the SegaCD bios in the newly created folder, booted up Sonic CD, but no music. I also can't find the *.cue file of the game: I only see the *.bin file. Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Hi! I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but can someone help me with Sonic CD and it lacking music (SFX are present)? I'm playing on the latest version of PicoDrive (v0.94) on my 3DS XL. I've created a folder that I labelled "bios", since the "picodrive_3ds" folder didn't originally have it. I put the SegaCD bios in the newly created folder, booted up Sonic CD, but no music. I also can't find the *.cue file of the game: I only see the *.bin file. Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

https://github.com/SaturnSH2x2/Sonic-CD-11-3DS

FNAF_Creep

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I tried the "port" method, but couldn't get it to work. Plus, I don't want a downgraded version. I want to play Sonic CD at its normal quality, and the only way to do that, is to play it on Picodrive, but I can't. I really need someone to coach me through the process, if that's at all possible. I'd like help right now, but if no one is available, I can wait.

Edit: nevermind. I fixed my problem!

Last edited by FNAF_Creep,

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Edit: nevermind. I fixed my problem!
nice! It might help someone out if you share what you did to fix the problem, just in case someone else has the same issue and needs help themselves.
Plus, I don't want a downgraded version. I want to play Sonic CD at its normal quality, and the only way to do that, is to play it on Picodrive
This isn't true! It's not worse at all - the 3DS port is based off the Whitehead mobile remake, which is by all means the best version of the game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...