ROM Hack [Release] MH Talisman Editor for MHXX MHX/MHGen MH4G/MH4U

iSharingan

Show me your power
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have a problem, any time i load a save INTO the editor, its says "Failed to load save file: CORRUPT_SAVE"
but i know it isnt corrupt because of the fact that i tried loading that save again on my ds, fearing the worst, but is loads into the game just fine.

anyone else had this problem and how do i fix it?
There has been an issue (as GunFlameFRC was having) where the save is exported as a smaller size (prolly due to an update to JKSM/different functionality as a .cia versus the 3dsx version/whatever). The only data that is missing in the smaller exported files is [mostly] empty bytes and blank 'forms', most likely reserved for DLC quest/palico/etc. data. A minor update to the editor to accept such file sizes (or at least allow the user to force the editor to attempt to load a file detected as 'invalid' - such as a prompt that says "This file appears to be corrupt: try loading anyway?") should be all that's needed to resolve this indefinitely.

Last edited by iSharingan,

Hellsjanitor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
There has been an issue (as GunFlameFRC was having) where the save is exported as a smaller size (prolly due to an update to JKSM/different functionality as a .cia versus the 3dsx version/whatever). The only data that is missing in the smaller exported files is [mostly] empty bytes and blank 'forms', most likely reserved for DLC quest/palico/etc. data. A minor update to the editor to accept such file sizes (or at least allow the user to force the editor to attempt to load a file detected as 'invalid' - such as a prompt that says "This file appears to be corrupt: try loading anyway?") should be all that's needed to resolve this indefinitely.

so there is nothing i can do ecxept hope that there is an update to the editor soon? well thats a bummer, but thanks anyway, at least i know i wont have to search frantically for a "fix" that i could do manually

iSharingan

Show me your power
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so there is nothing i can do ecxept hope that there is an update to the editor soon? well thats a bummer, but thanks anyway, at least i know i wont have to search frantically for a "fix" that i could do manually
There is a fix, but it requires a 'fully sized' save export and copying over the bytes missing form your smaller so-called-corrupted export.

Hellsjanitor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
There is a fix, but it requires a 'fully sized' save export and copying over the bytes missing form your smaller so-called-corrupted export.

So how would I go about doing that then if I were to be impatient?

In the file location "extdata/00000000/0000185b/00000000" where I have monster hunter saved, there are 4 files, "00000001" "00000002" "00000003" and "00000004".
The first is 40kb the second is 30kb. Third and fourth are both equal at 3988kb each.

*edit - it is also worth noting that i am using the EU version. i read in your response to the other guy having the problem that coverting the save file might work, i will try this and add results to this comment, assuming it still wont work, id still like a workaround if you can think of the solution. heres to hopeful editing*

*edit#2 - cant make heads or tails of how to transfer save data from EU to US.....so yeah*

Last edited by Hellsjanitor,

Hellsjanitor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I just want to put out a massive thank you to isharingan.

Through pm's he went so far as to personally go out of his way to teach me the ways of 3ds homebrew and file editing.

In doing so, he fixed my problem (turns out I was doing things WAAAAY wrong)

So to anyone who reads this, make sure you give iSharingan your support and if you find his home address, send him a pizza or something. He deserves it.

iSharingan, you. Are. The. Man.

jc28735250

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have a problem, any time i load a save INTO the editor, its says "Failed to load save file: CORRUPT_SAVE"
but i know it isnt corrupt because of the fact that i tried loading that save again on my ds, fearing the worst, but is loads into the game just fine.

Which game save are you trying to modify? Which mode is the editor in?
If you tried to load an MHX/MHGen save file when the editor is in MH4G/MH4U mode it will give that error, and vice versa.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Could you provide some more details on this? I'd be happy to fix this bug as I'm gearing up for MHXX and do plan to update this utility.
Do you know if it's the EU region save that is giving problems? Or is it from a different extdata export app?
The code makes no assumptions about file size, and the error message is emitted in the very beginning of the file parsing function; it is due to a failure to locate the offset bytes to each character profile.
I would need a sample save file to confirm, but I suspect some offsets might have changed.

iSharingan

Show me your power
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Which game save are you trying to modify? Which mode is the editor in?
If you tried to load an MHX/MHGen save file when the editor is in MH4G/MH4U mode it will give that error, and vice versa.
He was using his still-encrypted save and didnt have Homebrew

Could you provide some more details on this? I'd be happy to fix this bug as I'm gearing up for MHXX and do plan to update this utility.
Do you know if it's the EU region save that is giving problems? Or is it from a different extdata export app?
The code makes no assumptions about file size, and the error message is emitted in the very beginning of the file parsing function; it is due to a failure to locate the offset bytes to each character profile.
I would need a sample save file to confirm, but I suspect some offsets might have changed.
As I said, all that's required for that 'bug' is to allow an unrecognized save size error to be manually overridden - given a selected format. His save was about a MB too small, but it was all void formatting (mostly empty bytes, but had a pattern to the non-zero bytes, so I assume it was just blank/empty DLC slots). All of the item data was still there; the missing data was all from the end of the file, thus didnt change offsets at all.

jc28735250

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As I said, all that's required for that 'bug' is to allow an unrecognized save size error to be manually overridden - given a selected format. His save was about a MB too small, but it was all void formatting (mostly empty bytes, but had a pattern to the non-zero bytes, so I assume it was just blank/empty DLC slots). All of the item data was still there; the missing data was all from the end of the file, thus didnt change offsets at all.
Which game are we talking about? MHX/MHGen or MH4G/MH4U?
For MHX the utility emits the CORRUPT_SAVE error when it fails to find the offsets to the character profiles, which is a fatal error and unrecoverable.
For MH4G the utility checks that the total file size is a multiple of 4, which is a safety guard for the decryption function. I'm not entirely sure if allowing it to proceed will resulting in a successful operation, but without an actual file to test I'm unable to debug further.
For now I'll add a check for MH4G mode to proceed even if the file size is not a multiple of 4; hopefully it will still work.

iSharingan

Show me your power
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which game are we talking about? MHX/MHGen or MH4G/MH4U?
For MHX the utility emits the CORRUPT_SAVE error when it fails to find the offsets to the character profiles, which is a fatal error and unrecoverable.
For MH4G the utility checks that the total file size is a multiple of 4, which is a safety guard for the decryption function. I'm not entirely sure if allowing it to proceed will resulting in a successful operation, but without an actual file to test I'm unable to debug further.
For now I'll add a check for MH4G mode to proceed even if the file size is not a multiple of 4; hopefully it will still work.
the CORRUPT_SAVE was the still-encrypted file. Forget about it, it's been resolved. The other error was a file size error on a MHGen save, which just needs a manual override option since the missing data (or rather missing empty DLC forms) wasn't from the part of the save the editor accesses (and all the offset info was there, etc.). The size error was prolly due to the bitpacking of certain areas of data messing things up, as I seem to recall it was an odd multiple of 2 (as opposed to an even multiple, thus being divisible by 4).

Last edited by iSharingan,

TenoilVago

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi everyone! i think i've got the same CORRUPT_FILE problem, because i don't know how to decript my mhgen saves.

I've got Home brew for 11.3 working but i'm stuck anyway.

iSharingan

Show me your power
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone! i think i've got the same CORRUPT_FILE problem, because i don't know how to decript my mhgen saves.

I've got Home brew for 11.3 working but i'm stuck anyway.
add JKSM to your 3ds folder on your SD card, then open the app via homebrew to export your save (stored as EXT data).
The save will be stored in SD:/JKSV/ExtData/MONSTER_HUNTER_GEN/[whatever you name the backup folder when exporting the save]

JazzHandz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can anyone help me out here? I probably should've made an account and speak up sooner but was hoping this would change in the updates

basically I downloaded this and use it via winebottler on my mac, figured I'd use it to make some fun charms and whatnot

but every time I load my save into the program is scrambles my charms, nearly most if not all of them

I had a friend try to load my save into the program on their windows, same problem

I tried loading a single page of my equipment box and making fresh charms there but I can't even click an empty space because it'd crash the program

and for my friend it simply doesn't work, so not only does it scrambles my charms but new ones can't even be made on my file

has this happened to anyone else or am I screwed? and yes this happened recently too but luckily I was able to tell before loading it into my game

Help would be very much appreciated X~X

And yes I tried making new charms among the list itself without an empty box page, still crashed

Last edited by JazzHandz,

jc28735250

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can anyone help me out here? I probably should've made an account and speak up sooner but was hoping this would change in the updates

basically I downloaded this and use it via winebottler on my mac, figured I'd use it to make some fun charms and whatnot

but every time I load my save into the program is scrambles my charms, nearly most if not all of them

I had a friend try to load my save into the program on their windows, same problem

I tried loading a single page of my equipment box and making fresh charms there but I can't even click an empty space because it'd crash the program

and for my friend it simply doesn't work, so not only does it scrambles my charms but new ones can't even be made on my file

has this happened to anyone else or am I screwed? and yes this happened recently too but luckily I was able to tell before loading it into my game

Help would be very much appreciated X~X

And yes I tried making new charms among the list itself without an empty box page, still crashed
What game are you having trouble with?
Also, can you describe what do you mean by "scramble"?

JazzHandz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What game are you having trouble with?
Also, can you describe what do you mean by "scramble"?

Monster Hunter Generations (US copy)

By scramble I mean it changes the attributes of most if not all my charms even to the point of making them illegitimate

only things that don't change seem to be the skill names and the values but everything else gets tossed like salad

jc28735250

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Monster Hunter Generations (US copy)

By scramble I mean it changes the attributes of most if not all my charms even to the point of making them illegitimate

only things that don't change seem to be the skill names and the values but everything else gets tossed like salad
Hmm that's a first for me.
Which program do you use to extract the save? Can I take a look at it?

JazzHandz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm that's a first for me.
Which program do you use to extract the save? Can I take a look at it?

I use JKSM and exported the ExtData

before I used a save manager specifically for MHGen but I had the same issue so I thought changing to this would fix that, I was mistaken DX

jc28735250

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use JKSM and exported the ExtData

before I used a save manager specifically for MHGen but I had the same issue so I thought changing to this would fix that, I was mistaken DX
Did you mod the save using any other tools before?
Unfortunately I'm out of ideas; without actually seeing the save file I can't really debug this as I can't reproduce.

JazzHandz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you mod the save using any other tools before?
Unfortunately I'm out of ideas; without actually seeing the save file I can't really debug this as I can't reproduce.

I could send my file if you'd like, I just want to fix that

Should I send most recent save or the file I have atm on me? only difference is recent just has more things

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: My ping times even lol