Hacking COMPLETED [Release] Meritous for Switch

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Meritous.png

Far below the surface of the planet is a secret. A place of limitless power. Those that seek to control such a utopia will soon bring an end to themselves.

Seeking an end to the troubles that plague him, PSI user MERIT journeys into the hallowed Orcus Dome in search of answers.

If the game is too difficult for you, you can play in 'Wuss mode' for a far more sombre gaming experience.

Meritous
is a cross between a top-view dungeon crawler and a bullet-hell shoot-em-up. In it, you control main character Merit, who travels through an enormous 3000-room labyrinth, the Orcus Dome, in order to find three artifacts called the PSI Keys, and restore them to their proper locations.

Although enemies fire copious amounts of bullets at you, you don't shoot back- instead, you have an attack called a PSI Circuit, which you charge up to unleash a shockwave that hits enemies and nullifies their shots.

As you charge up the PSI Circuit, target reticules appear on nearby enemies, the circle indicating they're in range, and the cross indicating you've charged up enough to damage or kill them.

You can't just use the PSI Circuit as often as you want, though. After releasing it, there's a cooldown time before you can charge up again, and the longer you charge up, the longer you have to wait.

Destroyed enemies leave behind PSI crystals you can use to upgrade three facets of your PSI Circuit- Circuit Charge (charge up faster), Circuit Refill (less cooldown time), and Reflect Shields.

When you have at least one level in Shields, a barrier is projected around Merit, which will deflect one bullet per shield level, before having to regenerate. As you upgrade Shields, the barrier becomes bigger, then shows multiple layers as it gets stronger.

--------​

The game needs to be tested on a real Switch for sound quality and speed. It runs at about 20fps a with really bad sound on RyujiNX emulator.

The game will crash the HBL on exiting (it's compiled with an incomplete SDL lib port to switch).

The source code of the port is on my switch github (http://github.com/Nop90-Switch/Meritous-Switch).
The compiled game is released on github (http://github.com/Nop90-Switch/Meritous-Switch/releases).

Credits:
The original source is by Lancer-X/ASCEAI (http://www.asceai.net/meritous/)

Changelog

Ver. 1.0 (17 March 2018)
- New build wit fixes SDL

Ver. 0.1 (09 March 2018)
- First reelase (baased on a incomplete SDL port)

Installation

Estract the zip in the root of the switch SD card

Commands

- D-pad: Move
- A: Select / use PSI
- B: Activate tiles
- L: Open Help
- R: Open map
- Minus: Exit
- Plus: Pause

Known Bugs

-

Screenshots
meritous.png

Last edited by nop90,

solrac21

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
please give me some feedback on how sound works.

I think it will need fixing. About game speed, on the emulator it's very slow, dut on a real switch should run at full 60 fps.

Tried it 2 times and it crashed immediately with a -0002 error. I tried my other homebrew and they worked. Anyone else test this?

Last edited by solrac21,
Reactions: Masterwin

Masterwin

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
please give me some feedback on how sound works.

I think it will need fixing. About game speed, on the emulator it's very slow, dut on a real switch should run at full 60 fps.
I tried to launch the game 4 times without success, it always gives error code

NANASHI89

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Far below the surface of the planet is a secret. A place of limitless power. Those that seek to control such a utopia will soon bring an end to themselves.

Seeking an end to the troubles that plague him, PSI user MERIT journeys into the hallowed Orcus Dome in search of answers.

If the game is too difficult for you, you can play in 'Wuss mode' for a far more sombre gaming experience.

Meritous
is a cross between a top-view dungeon crawler and a bullet-hell shoot-em-up. In it, you control main character Merit, who travels through an enormous 3000-room labyrinth, the Orcus Dome, in order to find three artifacts called the PSI Keys, and restore them to their proper locations.

Although enemies fire copious amounts of bullets at you, you don't shoot back- instead, you have an attack called a PSI Circuit, which you charge up to unleash a shockwave that hits enemies and nullifies their shots.

As you charge up the PSI Circuit, target reticules appear on nearby enemies, the circle indicating they're in range, and the cross indicating you've charged up enough to damage or kill them.

You can't just use the PSI Circuit as often as you want, though. After releasing it, there's a cooldown time before you can charge up again, and the longer you charge up, the longer you have to wait.

Destroyed enemies leave behind PSI crystals you can use to upgrade three facets of your PSI Circuit- Circuit Charge (charge up faster), Circuit Refill (less cooldown time), and Reflect Shields.

When you have at least one level in Shields, a barrier is projected around Merit, which will deflect one bullet per shield level, before having to regenerate. As you upgrade Shields, the barrier becomes bigger, then shows multiple layers as it gets stronger.

--------​

The game needs to be tested on a real Switch for sound quality and speed. It runs at about 20fps a with really bad sound on RyujiNX emulator.

The game will crash the HBL on exiting (it's compiled with an incomplete SDL lib port to switch).

The source code of the port is on my switch github (http://github.com/Nop90-Switch/Meritous-Switch).
The compiled game is released on github (http://github.com/Nop90-Switch/Meritous-Switch/releases).

Credits:
The original source is by Lancer-X/ASCEAI (http://www.asceai.net/meritous/)

Changelog

Ver. 0.1 (09 March 2018)
- First reelase (baased on a incomplete SDL port)

Installation

Estract the zip in the root of the switch SD card

Commands

- D-pad: Move
- A: Select / use PSI
- B: Activate tiles
- L: Open Help
- R: Open map
- Minus: Exit
- Plus: Pause

Known Bugs

- Game crashes on exit
- ????

Screenshots
Does a Pro Controller Work on it?

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Fixed some things in the SDl thread part, compiled again the game and updated the release on github.

Please test again the new build. If it crashes I'll disable audio and continue working on the audio driver.

Masterwin

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Fixed some things in the SDl thread part, compiled again the game and updated the release on github.

Please test again the new build. If it crashes I'll disable audio and continue working on the audio driver.
it still does not work

ciaomao

Well-Known Dude
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
1st I thought this title sounds familar, but then I realized I finished it like 10 years ago on my GP2X-F200. I just remember, it is the kind that can make addictive. Great work!

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Fixed a lot of things in the SDL lib and made a new build of meritius (v0.1c).

On RyujiNX it works better and sound is very good (but it's aut of sync and starts with a couple of minutes of delay. A problem of the emulator I think).

Please test the release on a switch and let me know if it continue to crash on startup.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: i mean, unless they're like morrigan, but i kinda doubt it