• Views 93,191
  • Replies 305
  • Likes 27
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted User

OP
I don't want to provide support for this anymore.
The application is bad.
It can't load massive images.
It can't zoom.
It can't load images with pointless zeroes.
The one thing I do like is the downloading feature. If you have a stable connection, and know how to use it, it's pretty good IMO.

Manga Reader
v 2.0
It's like a thing that reads manga, except you're doing the reading.

About

Pretty much, it lets you read a comic/manga that's stored in a whole ton of image files on your SD card. Oh, and it can also download manga. Sometimes. If it works.
There's no zooming, so this thing is kind of bad. If you can live without zooming, maybe you can use this.

Instructions

Instructions for manga downloading is in a different section of this post.
Put your manga in the folder /Manga/. The manga folder is on the root of the sd card.
Each manga should have a different folder.
Ex: /Manga/NarutoChapter1/
Your image files need to be in a specific numerical order.
It goes like 1.jpg, 2.jpg, 3.jpg, ect.
It can have names like 01.jpg or 001.jpg.
(It can load png, bmp, or jpg. Png is very slow. I recommend jpg.)
You can have more sub directories in your manga folder. Like this:
/Manga/Naruto/Chapter1/
And..uh..that's about it!
A perfect example would be like this:
/Manga/Naruto/Chapter1/1.jpg
Of course, it would have 2.jpg, 3.jpg, 4.jpg, ect.

Controls

General Controls
Use the dpad to navigate menus.
Manga Reading Controls
Use the circle pad or the dpad to navigate the manga page.
Press R to go to the next page.
Press L to go back a page.
Press X while reading a manga to show the time and page on the bottom screen.
Manga Selector Controls
Press B to go back a directory.
Hold L to move quickly
Press A to select a manga/enter a folder
Press START to go back
Download Menu
Press A to change something.
Left and right can be used to change the chapter number, save file, and load file.
Press A on the chapter option to use the number keypad to change it. (Left and right can also be used.)

Options

Speed - How many pixels the page moves per frame when moving
Return - Where you start out in the page when you go to the next one

Changelog

• Removes green bar part of the green bar when using old 3ds to maintain frame rate.
  • Less confusing file selector.
  • Removed option for dpad to switch pages.
  • Removed ability to type in your own prefix.
  • Removed touch screen page moving. Whoops.
  • File format and pointless zeros are now automatically detected.
  • Code was completely rewritten.
  • When entering a folder that contains chapters for a manga you've viewed before, you'll automatically select the last chapter you viewed.
  • Number keypad which uses the touch screen.
  • Hold L in file selector for quick movement.
  • You can now press left or right to switch the chapter number on the download menu.
  • Oh, looks like the program freezes if you enter an invalid manga name. Remind me to fix that. I already built the 3dsx and cia, so I don't feel like fixing it right now.
1.8.9.1 - Still says 1.8.9 in the actual application. Updates lpp-3ds.
1.8.9 - Multiple download settings save slots. Unlimited. Press left and right to change slot when on download screen.
v1.8.8 - Small stuff.
v1.8.7 - Number of pages now automatically detected. No more manual exiting. Removes two pointless options on the main menu.
v1.8 - There's now an option to check if a new update is available. Go to the Options and press "Check for updates." Press X while reading a manga to display a bar on the bottom of the bottom screen with the time in 12 hour time and the page number. This can now use pages of a size smaller than what the minimum page size was. This will now use the n3ds's power if available.Manga downloading is now possible! Read my tutorial in this post.
v1.7.1 - updated lpp-3ds, and index.lua is now inside of the .3dsx.
v1.7 - Saves options and a few other stuff.
v1.6 - New version of lpp-3ds. Fixes of infinite glory.
v1.5 - Page number is now saved for each manga!
V1.4 - Just made it so you start on the first element after entering a sub directory. Instead of the zero-th element.
V1.3 - Minor changes, allows page movement from dpad.
V1.2 - Adds support for pointless zeros.
V1 - Initial release.

How to use the manga downloading feature

Here's my text tutorial on how to use the manga downloading feature:
First, go to mangareader.net and fine a manga you want. Click on it to go to the chapter list. The url should be something like http://mangareader.net/MANGANAME.. MANGANAME is usually the manga's normal name in all lowercase and with spaces replaced with "-". Memorize what MANGANAME is. Go into the download option of Manga Reader. For name, enter what you got before from the url, MANGANAME. Then all the other information is self-explanatory. You can also press Save Options on the manga download screen to save all the stuff you've typed. Then you can press Load Options later to load it all. So you don't need to type in long manga names again. When you enter the name for your manga, the path it'll be saved to will be automatically generated for you. It'll be /Manga/whatever_manga_name/chapter-x.
Here's my video tutorial:
(Information is a bit outdated. Save folder and number of pages no longer need to be entered.)

Don't forget that when you type in the name, it's case sensitive. (Usually all lowercase.)

FAQ

Freezes after starting a manga

(This generally doesn't happen with manga downloaded using the manga download feature.)
All pages must be no more than 2300x2300.

The 3ds has limitations on how big a loaded image can be.
To fix this, resize them to make them a bit smaller.
That's easy. I recommend Fotosizer. http://www.fotosizer.com/Downloading.aspx

Zooming?
no, sorry.

Download

https://github.com/MyLegGuy/MangaReader/releases

The zip has a cia (Thanks to MarcusCarter) and a 3dsx.

Last edited by ,

ric.

Drivin' to meme country
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
Pretty cool!
I feel it'd be great if this were to support CBR/CBZ format, a fileformat commonly used for comics. It's essentially the same as .zip and can even be decompressed as such, so it'd be an interesting addition. Also, an option to zoom in and out of the page would be ideal, as well as less strict naming requirements for the files.
As it stands though, it's a great piece of homebrew, great job!

Reactions: Idaho

olshrimpeyes

Your question is bad and you should feel bad
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty cool!
I feel it'd be great if this were to support CBR/CBZ format, a fileformat commonly used for comics. It's essentially the same as .zip and can even be decompressed as such, so it'd be an interesting addition. Also, an option to zoom in and out of the page would be ideal, as well as less strict naming requirements for the files.
As it stands though, it's a great piece of homebrew, great job!
Well technically CBR is a RAR file, but yeah it would be nice. I think problem with this is there aren't currently any libraries for extracting archives on 3DS, and the overhead for those are actually pretty large especially when pertaining to larger/more compressed Archives.

Edit: Forget everything I just said.

Last edited by olshrimpeyes,

Jwiz33

Banned
Trophies
in the illuminati headquar—I have said too much!
Website
iwillcleanyourbasement.webstarts.com
XP
Country
United States
Well technically CBR is a RAR file, but yeah it would be nice. I think problem with this is there aren't currently any libraries for extracting archives on 3DS, and the overhead for those are actually pretty large especially when pertaining to larger/more compressed Archives.
lpp can extract .rar files, and this is made in lpp, afaik

D

Deleted User

OP
I don't know why it keeps putting two spoilers at the end of my post instead of one, but 1.2 is out!

Adds support for pointless zeros!
Read the options section of my post for an explanation of how to use it.

Also, I hope to eventually include the ability to move to the next page with ZL. In case you're eating a hot dog with your other hand.

Also, page scaling can't come. I can't load a scaleable image that's as big as a manga page. Sorry.

Last edited by ,
Reactions: ferofax
D

Deleted User

OP
I get error attempt to index a nil value in field ? when trying to open the Manga folder.

What line number does it say?
If you're not sure where to find that, could you just write out everything it says? (The error, I mean.)

Last edited by ,
D

Deleted User

OP
Manga is in /3ds/MangaReader, and it includes some folders with jpgs. I pressed X to open it.

Oh, looks like I didn't explain things properly.

Create a folder on the ROOT of the sd card called Manga.
When I say root, I just mean the very first directory on the sd card.

For example:
/Manga/
And as an example on where to put manga, this is where you would put it if your folder with images in it was called HappyMangaChapter:
/Manga/HappyMangaChapter/
With the folder HappyMangaChaper containing some images. (That's just an example, doesn't have to be called HappyMangaChapter.)

Also, use A to read a manga, press x to see the other manga folders inside of the selected folder.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

When I try to open a page appears this mesage: "Could not load the first page"

What's the name of the images in the folder that you're opening?
Or, are you opening a folder with other folders in it? In that case, you would press X.

Jwiz33

Banned
Trophies
in the illuminati headquar—I have said too much!
Website
iwillcleanyourbasement.webstarts.com
XP
Country
United States
Oh, looks like I didn't explain things properly.

Create a folder on the ROOT of the sd card called Manga.
When I say root, I just mean the very first directory on the sd card.

For example:
/Manga/
And as an example on where to put manga, this is where you would put it if your folder with images in it was called HappyMangaChapter:
/Manga/HappyMangaChapter/
With the folder HappyMangaChaper containing some images. (That's just an example, doesn't have to be called HappyMangaChapter.)

Also, use A to read a manga, press x to see the other manga folders inside of the selected folder.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

What's the name of the images in the folder that you're opening?
Or, are you opening a folder with other folders in it? In that case, you would press X.
Oh, I didn't realize I had to put it in the root. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://youtu.be/ngNaUaQOfPU