Hacking Official [Release] CakesFW

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you need a different chainloader than luma's
Don't quote me on that though, need to test it myself first.

Well, you do if Cakes needs to decrypt any firmware files. If they're already decrypted, Luma's chainloader seems to work fine. Also, on an N3DS it can run into problems decrypting files. I used a system still on A9LH to get TWL and AGB decrypted, but GM9 was able to recognize and fully decrypt the rest.

Not sure why this isn't getting more attention. It's awesome to see this project is still alive.

Anyone figured out how to get the boot.firm to work? It still runs great with the .dat but just out of interest.

I'm not sure why it's not working for you. It seems to work alright for me. If you can find the full version of my AIO B9S pack (it's on a certain iso site, the "CFW Discussion" section), I've included a working setup with all needed files. It's currently on 197, but I was able to copy the 200 files right over it. I'm working on a V2, but I want to include a "*hax to B9S" solution that's somewhat automated with GM9 scripts this time. After all, is it not better to have the device follow a list of steps? It can't mess them up or leave any out.

Last edited by Kazuma77,

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not sure why it's not working for you. It seems to work alright for me. If you can find the full version of my AIO B9S pack (it's on a certain iso site, the "CFW Discussion" section), I've included a working setup with all needed files. It's currently on 197, but I was able to copy the 200 files right over it. I'm working on a V2, but I want to include a "*hax to B9S" solution that's somewhat automated with GM9 scripts this time. After all, is it not better to have the device follow a list of steps? It can't mess them up or leave any out.
Cheers, I'll take a look. FWIW, the .firm worked fine on my N3DS it was just the O3DS that I had to use the .dat otherwise I kept getting a blackscreen (which someone else previously experienced too so maybe there's something to it).

I'm sure it's something simple I overlooked. Either way, I'm just glad there are still other options CFW-wise as I prefer not to use Luma when possible.

Last edited by subcon959,
Reactions: Deleted User

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a way to choose which Native Firm to use in the menu or do you have to rename files manually each time?

I have an O3DS with B9S 11.5 Sysnand and 9.2 Emunand and I'd like an easier way to switch between nands.

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a way to choose which Native Firm to use in the menu or do you have to rename files manually each time?

I have an O3DS with B9S 11.5 Sysnand and 9.2 Emunand and I'd like an easier way to switch between nands.

The only thing I can think of is automating the copy process with Godmode9 scripts. It still wouldn't be the most convenient thing. I use Puma33DS to run my 9.2. Just set it up that way and leave it. It's an old Luma fork based on 6.6, but it's good enough for 9.2. And it's one of the few that will run a 9.2 EmuNAND (with Menuhax installed on it anyway) on an N3DS.

EDIT: Then again, d0k3 did just add a boot command. So, the script could copy the firmware file to firmware.bin, then runs Cakes. You could put them all in a "Cakes" folder in the scripts folder and have Cakes mult-launcher. I'll try it and see how that works. If I like the results I'll post it.

EDIT2: I liked the results. Here you go. Hope you find them as useful as I have.

Attachments

• Cakes Launcher Scripts.7z
    22.6 KB · Views: 267
Last edited by Kazuma77,

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ground control to mid-kid, son, your sever's dead, there's something wrong. GBATemp's blue and there's nothing I can do (actually, I can re-upload it for those that missed it I guess, and sorry about the bad Bowie parody).

Also, in light of GM9's new "filesel" command, I've redone my old "Cakes Launcher" scripts. Now it's just one script that lets you pick from any firmware file in your "cakes" folder. Keep in mind this probably will not work with A9LH until the problem with OldLoader gets fixed (whereas the old version will work with 1.3.4). If you want to, you could even build this into a standalone script runner (I'm seriously considering it). I hope you all will find it useful.

EDIT: Decided to go ahead and make the standalone script runner. I've added it if anyone wants to try it. "Cakes.firm" needs to be in "b9s/payloads" just like with all the other scripts.

Attachments

• Cakes_200.zip
    179.2 KB · Views: 293
  • Cakes Launcher Script v2.7z
    22.2 KB · Views: 288
  • Cakes Launcher SSR.7z
    964.7 KB · Views: 348
Last edited by Kazuma77,

PEKKA4597

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whenever I try and boot Cakes.firm using gm9 scripts it just hangs on the boot command, any idea why or how I could fix it? I’m on 11.5 sysnand and 9.2 Emunand, trying to use cakes to boot the emunand. Using sighax, if that helps

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whenever I try and boot Cakes.firm using gm9 scripts it just hangs on the boot command, any idea why or how I could fix it? I’m on 11.5 sysnand and 9.2 Emunand, trying to use cakes to boot the emunand. Using sighax, if that helps

If it's the system's first time running Cakes, Luma's chainloader is going to crash unless it goes through BootCTR9. It's fine on subsequent starts, but that first time always needs to go through BootCTR9 (or CBM9). I'm not sure why. I've tried giving Cakes decrypted firmware, and even fully decrypted firmware in the case of the N3DS (strangely, it doesn't even like TWL, AGB, and 11.0 when they're fully decrypted), thinking it was the whole decryption thing. Apparently it's something else that Cakes does the first time it is run. Though the decrypted files help somewhat with some other issues.

I was hoping the SSR would get around the issue with Luma's chainloaer, so that I could make the "start" hotkey changeable when using Luma's chainloader in InScripted. But it looks like it's still going to have to go through BootCTR9. Since Gateway does too, well, they can't both be the default. I can either define hotkeys for Cakes and/or the Launcher, or place them both on the CBM9 "extra payloads" menu. And obviously, any hotkey I define for BootCTR9 has to have BootCTR9 on it to work, so it can't be changed (though I guess I could make the file BootCTR9 looks for generic, like "start.firm" or "select.firm" -- without the underscore Luma will ignore them, and let people choose which two otherwise non-working payloads they want to run via BootCTR9). Oh well, it's not like people have any reason to switch from the default (BootCTR9 in Select Mode) anyway, with it working so well.

Also, if this is for an N3DS, you can forget about it. For some reason, the "Enable EmuNAND" option is missing. Your options are Puma with a fully decrypted 9.0 "firmware.bin" file in the "puma" folder or Luma Legacy. If you're going to use Legacy, I'd suggest compiling it to use a different folder so it won't mess up your primary Luma configuration. The copy included in my InScripted AIO uses "legacy" for example. You can find it on an iso site in the "CFW Discussion" section if you're interested. I plan to incorporate the Cakes Launcher SSR (and some other small tweaks) into the next release.

Last edited by Kazuma77,

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Use Luma3DS for crying out loud!
There's really no reason to push people to Luma3DS when CakesFW has been updated to work with the latest OFW/B9S. Once it starts having issues or loses OFW support is when people should be pushing others away from it. For the time being it's best to help users.

Latest release brick my console black screen i need to reinstall b9s with ntrboot
I don't understand what you mean by "bricked," what did you do? Does your system still work with Luma3DS? Do you have the latest firmware files? Please give us actual details to help figure out what happened.

laharl22

Trophies
XP
Country
France
There's really no reason to push people to Luma3DS when CakesFW has been updated to work with the latest OFW/B9S. Once it starts having issues or loses OFW support is when people should be pushing others away from it. For the time being it's best to help users.

I don't understand what you mean by "bricked," what did you do? Does your system still work with Luma3DS? Do you have the latest firmware files? Please give us actual details to help figure out what happened.
I use firm files of the op url for firmware.bin cetk

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
wait cakes is still alive what advantages does it have over luma?
Cakesfw is more customizable compared to Luma3DS. All patches can be toggled and or deleted. This gives the user deeper control over features they want to use. Although outside of being a CFW, you really can’t fairly compare the two. You can safely launch Cakesfw as a payload to test it out.

I use firm files of the op url for firmware.bin cetk
Try these
https://github.com/mid-kid/CakesForeveryWan/blob/master/firmurls

This is interesting. This thread is still alive. Good thing we have NTRboot in case of bricks for those who still want to try other CFWs.
You can safely try other CFWs without the risk of bricks. I am currently running 3 different CFWs without ill effect.

Last edited by The Catboy,

nintendowii

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i can't get run cakesFW 202 on my new 2ds xl. i tried it with boot.firm at the root of the sd card, with the luma chainloader, with the godmode9 chainloader but nothing. it runs to the menu after boot CFW it stays in a black screen.

with my new 3ds xl and 2ds cakesFW 202 runs fine.

Last edited by nintendowii,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I guess Ancientboi would be Peter
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Loooooool :rofl2:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So true
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 Snow Day is pretty fun. My only bitch would be the camera controls, when you move around, say down, you have to move the right stick left or right to get camera to turn and get your view, other than that I like it so far.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why they listed inflation rates
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sorry didnt read that part
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking
    +1
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking +1