Hacking Official [Release] CakesFW

MiePx3

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Try writing directly to it with HxD. Search your physical drive for "NCSD" and delete 512 (0x200) bytes starting there.

*DISCLAIMER* I just "ported" mid-kid's instructions to HxD, I'm not sure if it'll work, or if it'll completely destroy your filesystem. Make sure to keep a backup.
Im currently trying to something on my 3DS. So I cant try that right now, but how do I open my SD in HxD? Or is that NCSD a hidden file somewhere?
I dont usually need step by step guides, but I am kinda lost here. Sorry!

I tried to restore to a NAND backup I made earlier. Didnt work either.
Still cant figure out how to use HxD properly.

Nevermind! Figured it out.
I now have HxD open and I can see the hex values of my SD. I found NCSD. And now I have to delete the following 512 Bytes? But the hex value for NCSD itself should not be removed?
If so, is there a "counting" feature in HxD so I can just enter 512 bytes and dont have to worry that I delte too much/less?

l1T2aEp.jpg
Like this? Sorry, I hate beeing spoon fed. I just wanna make sure I dont brick my 3DS I just bought 10 hours ago.
Or does the yellow part has to be 512? I cant "delete" stuff in HxD. I would guess I have to replace anything with 00?

Last edited by MiePx3,

mid-kid

GBAtemp spamBOT
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Im currently trying to something on my 3DS. So I cant try that right now, but how do I open my SD in HxD? Or is that NCSD a hidden file somewhere?

I now have HxD open and I can see the hex values of my SD. I found NCSD. And now I have to delete the following 512 Bytes? But the hex value for NCSD itself should not be removed?
If so, is there a "counting" feature in HxD so I can just enter 512 bytes and dont have to worry that I delte too much/less?

l1T2aEp.jpg

Like this? Sorry, I hate beeing spoon fed. I just wanna make sure I dont brick my 3DS I just bought 10 hours ago.
Or does the yellow part has to be 512? I cant "delete" stuff in HxD. I would guess I have to replace anything with 00?

The "NCSD" is exactly what cakes looks for, and, no, wolfvak didn't port the instructions correctly. To completely replicate what the dd command does: start at 0x200, replace the 0x200 bytes that follow it with 00. Either that, or replace "NCSD" with "PENIS" or something.

EDIT: I was assuming you used to have a rednand there. If it was a regular emunand, just install 2GB of games or whatever and it should be overwritten soon enough :P.

Last edited by mid-kid,

Wolfvak

nyaa~
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay

l1T2aEp.jpg

nonono that's not the redNAND start. Sorry, I should've just ported the instructions directly, I thought the plaintext 'NCSD' was @ 0x200 to be honest.

Basically, go to 0x200, select 0x200 bytes and replace them with 0x00's or just blank out the 'NCSD' string

MiePx3

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
That worked, awesome! And thanks for bearing with me.
One last question. I never had problems like this on my O3DS.
What could be the cause that I had this Issue? Could something else be wrong?

edit
It was a rednand, but its gone now, thank you too!

Oh, and 175 seems to be still not up. Guess Ill compile it on my laptop later.
Nvm. Testing now!
Yep, autobooting works fine now!

Last edited by MiePx3,
Reactions: mid-kid

retroguy

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Why is it that each time when I enter the menu settings, to change one or more cake settings, that I notice that 'Force saving patched firmware' is disabled although I enabled it earlier? I'm using V 175

And do I have to enable this setting each time again after changing one or more cakes settings, or is a forced save only needed once, at the intial install of the Cakes CFW?

Last edited by retroguy,

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why is it that each time when I enter the menu settings, to change one or more cake settings, that I notice that 'Force saving patched firmware' is disabled although I enabled it earlier? I'm using V 175

And do I have to enable this setting each time again after changing one or more cakes settings, or is a forced save only needed once, at the intial install of the Cakes CFW?

It's only intended as a work-around in case firmware_patched.bin isn't getting created automatically. I've never even had to use it, because they're being created just fine on my systems. So, I'm fairly certain it's intended to be a per-use setting, not something that stays enabled.

Reactions: mid-kid

retroguy

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Aha, OK then. :) BTW, Cakes is already great and it will even be excellent once mid-kid adds the firmware.bin selection menu. That will be very useful for those having Retroarch on their system which doesn't work with 11.0 firmware.bin That's why I'm more or less forced to still use 10.4 bin.

Last edited by retroguy,

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aha, OK then. :) BTW, Cakes is already great and it will even be excellent once mid-kid adds the firmware.bin selection menu. That will be very useful for those having Retroarch on their system which doesn't work with 11.0 firmware.bin That's why I'm more or less forced to still use 10.4 bin.

Yeah, I'm still using 10.4 myself for the most part. For the moment, I have it setup so that I can quickly rename files in Godmode9 when I do want to switch. It's a good thing Nintendo didn't update MSET or Home Menu I guess. If you ask me, they're telegraphing their moves and pulling their punches for a reason. They know homebrew and "piracy" are good for sales. 11.0 was just a sales tactic -- go buy one while you can still downgrade it. They didn't even fully disable SVCHax, so that the community can easily bring another downgrader out, and they can rinse and repeat. Just my take on their recent activities of course ;)

Last edited by Kazuma77,

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
They didn't even fully disable SVCHax, so that the community can easily bring another downgrader out
I have issue with this. Although they didn't patch svchax fully, they made it really fucking hard to exploit. *Even if* we get an arm11 kernel exploit, we couldn't downgrade anyway because process9 enforces a minimum vesrion whenever you install a system title CIA. Because of this you can't really downgrade with only an arm11 kernel exploit.

Reactions: pbanj

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have issue with this. Although they didn't patch svchax fully, they made it really fucking hard to exploit. *Even if* we get an arm11 kernel exploit, we couldn't downgrade anyway because process9 enforces a minimum vesrion whenever you install a system title CIA. Because of this you can't really downgrade with only an arm11 kernel exploit.

Well, if we get the signing key, then we can just resign 9.2 as 11.1 ;) It will be a few months before 11.0 units start showing up at Wal-Mart and Best Buy anyway. There is time. I still say Nintendo's fight against piracy seems as real as pro wrestling. They have to convince naive third-party developers that they're trying, but I would swear they're throwing it because they've figured out it makes them more money.

WhoAmI?

PASTA's dirty animal
Trophies
Website
lavanoid.github.io
XP
Country
Formatting an sd card does not remove all the data on it. The NCSD header from an old rednand seems to still be present in the second sector. To clear it, you could try either removing the "NCSD" at 0x300 from the start of your SD with a hex editor, or clear the whole second sector using for example dd: "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/<sd card> bs=512 seek=1 count=1"

Or do what I do on windows: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-removing-emunand-from-sd-card.387732/

My Dropbox needs the pictures re-uploading, for DiskPart.

dankzegriefer

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It enforces it on some of the wrong syscalls. There's still 2 open syscalls that can be used to downgrade.

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, there's one call for downgrading NFIRM if I am correct.

Still, if you can downgrade other things, it could lead to NFIRM being downgraded, right? Like the old process of adding Trucha signing back to the Wii. In other words, you can't downgrade NFIRM directly, so you downgrade something else, just for example, MSET, build a new ROP chain, use kernel mode access to patch the version check, full downgrade.

Last edited by Kazuma77,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)