Official [Release] CakesFW

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by mid-kid, Jun 20, 2015.

1. Gray_Jack

Gray_Jack GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 13, 2016
    It's ok, it's kinda hidden cause it probably will the 138 users keep asking how to do it in the stable version. And I don't care to answer since it is not a normal question xD

2. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Succubus™ The Adorable Enby

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Hiding from Area 51 guards
    Yeah, I had to really study it to understand the post. Because at first I thought it required me to boot into system settings first. Not sysnand, remove the SD, then boot into system settings.
    Either way, it's working now and I am a happy girl.

Gray_Jack likes this.
  3. Wolfvak

Wolfvak nyaa~

Oct 25, 2015
    Uruguay
    I believe mid-kid doesn't want to make it such a big deal because he intends to fix the decryption bug before the new release.
    As such, if he starts telling everyone to do these workarounds, most people are likely to do them after future releases come along.

4. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Fair enough, but since I removed all the patches, I couldn't play GBA/DS(i) games on CakeFW, so it became grossly under used in my CFW's. So getting them to work became priority number one to me.

5. Wolfvak

Wolfvak nyaa~

Oct 25, 2015
    Uruguay
    Well, they do now. Cakes has supported AGB_FIRM patching for a long time now, it's just that no one made patches for it. mid-kid made them himself, and me, being the glorious idiot I am, decided to make my own as well (didn't know he made them before I did).

TWL_FIRM patching is also supported, just a bit more recently.

6. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    That I knew, I just couldn't get them to work for me, until 30 minutes. Still, I am glad everyone helped me figure this out ^_^

7. Kazuma77

Kazuma77 GBAtemp Maniac

May 11, 2008
    United States
    Ah, so that's where I saw it before. I forgot the original suggested removing the memory card. Just didn't sound like a good thing to do to a perfectly healthy SD card. So I changed my version of it to use CTRXplorer. Oddly enough, even rebooting into Godmode9 to move the files, then rebooting into Cakes, doesn't seem to wipe the needed info from RAM (found that out with a system I forgot to install CTRXplorer on).

EDIT: That's odd, the latest nightly just went from 173 to 170. We're moving back instead of forwards.

Last edited by Kazuma77, May 12, 2016
  8. Krude

Krude GBAtemp Fan

May 18, 2013
    Gambia, The
    I'm p. sure this would irreversibly brick my console, since on A9LH the secret sector is garbled and if i install a FIRM to NAND, the bootloader can't decrypt that firm anymore and i can look at that nice blue error screen.

And i'm not trying to get a decrypted 9.0 FIRM here (these are easy to find on the internet), i wanto boot Cakes with an encrypted 9.0 FIRM.

9. Kazuma77

Kazuma77 GBAtemp Maniac

May 11, 2008
    United States
    If that was how it worked, that 11.0 update would have bricked us all -- it installs a NATIVE_FIRM after all.

NATIVE_FIRM installs to CTRNAND, not the firm0 and firm1 partitions (or at least, if it does try to install anything to firm0 and firm1, the "block FIRM partition updates" patch will prevent it, I don't claim to be an expert on how 3DS firmware works, but I am sure of that). If we couldn't update NATIVE_FIRM, how is Luma running the 11.0 NATIVE_FIRM without a firmware.bin then? Shouldn't it still be on 10.4? Though I guess it wouldn't get you what you want then. Unless d0k3 were to add an "encrypted" option to Godmode9. You know, that's not a bad idea.

Cakes supports decrypted files now, as of 169 I think. Check your firmware files. Do they have a different date than the ones you copied over? If so, they're probably decrypted.

Oh and, N3DS or O3DS? I actually have both. I'm not sure what would be a good way to get them to you though. It's not like I can upload them as an attachment.

10. Krude

Krude GBAtemp Fan

May 18, 2013
    Gambia, The
    Since only N3DSes have secret sectors, it should be obvious from my post which one i have.

I have a 9.2 sysNAND, and titles on NAND are already unencrypted so yeah, i can just pull a decrypted 9.0 FIRM from my CTRNAND but again, not what i'm looking for. I'm looking for a way to boot a properly encrypted, exploitable firmware on a stable release of CakesFW.

11. DjoeN

DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Oct 21, 2005
    Belgium
    Somewhere in this potatoland!
    Sometimes, taking a step back is needed for the next step forward! ;)

12. Wolfvak

Wolfvak nyaa~

Oct 25, 2015
    Uruguay
    The firmware found in CTRNAND is still encrypted actually. Like, completely encrypted, is doesn't even show the FIRM magic, so I assume its ExeFS is still encrypted (+arm9bin in N3DS)

13. Kazuma77

Kazuma77 GBAtemp Maniac

May 11, 2008
    United States
    Actually, that makes sense now that I think about it. It only decrypts the partitions themselves. Not the files within. Like the first pass when you're having D9 cryptofix an encrypted .cia file. Actually, that's another thought.

OK @Krude, guess that means you can just rip it from your own SysNAND. Failing that, try running D9's "CIA Decryptor (shallow)" option on the CIA, then try to extract it again with ctrtool (that should solve any problems it's having opening it, while leaving the files inside encrypted). If that doesn't work, well, ask ApacheThunder. There's no way he repacked all those system apps without knowing how to extract the CIAs.

14. MiePx3

MiePx3 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 4, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Hey @mid-kid,

I just got my new 3DS, so I started a new A9LH setup from scratch.
    And for some strange reason does autobooting with the lastest nightly (174) not work.
    Pressing L and boot into CFW with the first boot option does work fine.

171 autoboots without a problem!

15. mid-kid
    OP

mid-kid GBAtemp spamBOT

Aug 2, 2012
    Fixed it (untested, but it should work), will pop up in 175 in less than an hour.

klear and hausa51 like this.
  16. dankzegriefer

dankzegriefer Banned

Banned
    Aug 19, 2015
    United States
    mid-kid is the speedrunner of bugfixes

17. MiePx3

MiePx3 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 4, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Awesome. Will try it out immediately.

Question,
    I tried the latest stable, v163 (didnt have the problem on it, O3DS) and v171. On all of them, in "More options" "Select emuNAND" Cakes showes me "emuNAND #1".
    Why is that? I formatted my SD twice with emuNAND9 using the no emuNAND option. My Computer shoes that the SD card only has one partion.
    Is that a new3DS thing? Or why does it show me one emuNAND? Can I delete it? Where? "Enable emuNAND" is not enabled.

18. mid-kid
    OP

mid-kid GBAtemp spamBOT

Aug 2, 2012
    Formatting an sd card does not remove all the data on it. The NCSD header from an old rednand seems to still be present in the second sector. To clear it, you could try either removing the "NCSD" at 0x300 from the start of your SD with a hex editor, or clear the whole second sector using for example dd: "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/<sd card> bs=512 seek=1 count=1"

astronautlevel likes this.
  19. MiePx3

MiePx3 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 4, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Didnt work sadly.
    I tried this command on windows: dd if=/dev/zero of=\\.\f: bs=512 seek=1 count=1
    Output was:
    1+0 records in
    1+0 records out

20. Wolfvak

Wolfvak nyaa~

Oct 25, 2015
    Uruguay
    Try writing directly to it with HxD. Search your physical drive for "NCSD" and delete 512 (0x200) bytes starting there.

*DISCLAIMER* I just "ported" mid-kid's instructions to HxD, I'm not sure if it'll work, or if it'll completely destroy your filesystem. Make sure to keep a backup.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted