RELEASE [RELEASE] Amiga Emulator UAE4All2 for Switch

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by rsn8887, Nov 5, 2018.

1. gizmomelb

gizmomelb GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 13, 2006
    Australia
    irony, much?

Nocturnalstev likes this.
  2. MH666

MH666 Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 9, 2017
    Finland
    Thank you for this!

At first i struggled to get my hdf- file to work, but i realized my hdf was inside my HD- dir where i have my whdload games are, so i moved the file elsewhere and that did the trick. Works fine with exfat too.

Now i have my workbench/tinylauncher/whdload -setup on my switch and vita and i can also play on my living room telly.

Brings back memories...Playing amiga all day with friends, eating kilos of candy, drinking coke and staying overnight at my friend's place. Good times:)

rsn8887 likes this.
  3. Nocturnalstev

Nocturnalstev Member

Newcomer
    Jun 5, 2018
    United States
    I have started getting this error playing SWOS 96/97 hdf file after the end or start of the match, any ideas anyone?

Attached Files:

4. rsn8887
    OP

rsn8887 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 8, 2015
    United States
    Hdf files can get corrupted if the Amiga is writing to them at the same time when you press home and quit the emulator. It is best to always quit the emulator by going to the menu and selecting quit. This is just like on a real Amiga, where hard discs would often get corrupted if you shut down while writing.

You could try to copy over a “fresh” version of the hdf you are using.

5. RCP90totheface

RCP90totheface Member

Newcomer
    Jun 3, 2018
    United States
    I had a play with this. Amiga is the system of my youth, trading stacks of discs at school every week circa 1991, ah, halcyon days. Thanks RSN for your work making such bounties available to ageing nostalgia-hounds such as myself.

What I found (and I'm sure it's user error) is that after half an hour of playing, I'm getting very mixed results. I think my kickstarts are good, they were the right size and I renamed them to what you said - certainly I get the right boot screen for A500 and A1200. I found:

It Came From the Desert: A500 Standard settings - loads ok but then game is running way too quick, also direction pulled constantly one way
    Prince of Persia: A500 Standard settings - loads ok but then runs mega-slow
    Ivan Stewart Off-Road Racer - Runs fine, 2nd attempt. 1st attempt direction constantly pulling one way
    Shadow of the Beast - runs fine

Any ideas? Seems like lots of games have speed issues (too fast/slow) and the joystick/direction dragging thing crops up a lot. They could be well known problems, and of course it could be a ROM issue.

Also, I couldn't launch any HDFs, but I think I need to do something with an additional WHDload file before I can launch an HDF, is this right? Thus far I just put it on A1200 and bunged a load of chipmem on there because I think that's what I used to do on the Xbox version, then picked 'BootHD = File 1' and put the HDF in HD File 1. But no dice (obviously).

If anyone can help me out on these, I'd be most grateful. Amiga is the one!

6. rsn8887
    OP

Oct 8, 2015
    United States
    I have no clue what the joystick direction/dragging thing is about, I have never encountered this problem. You could try to increase the deadzone in the menu to see if it helps, in case one of your sticks is sending the wrong signal. Try to let both sticks center themselves when you enter/exit the emulator menu. For Off-Road racer, try to disable the mouse in the menu (it uses stick control).

Games running too fast is usually an issue that happens when you have not set the correct CPU speed settings. For A500 games like It Came From The Desert, you should make sure the speed is set to 7 MHz in the settings, and also chipset is OCS and CPU type is 68000. I will test this game at home and see if it works ok for me.

Concerning Prince of Persia: that is a known problem.

Note my GitHub release notes have a section about known problems and solutions:
    Games with known fixes
    • Blastar
      Issue: flickering scrolling
      Fix: set “Blitter: Normal” and reboot

• Lure of the Temptress (adf only)
      Issue: hangs at title
      Fix: use hdf version

• Mister and Misses (Amiga Power Coverdisk 14b)
      Issue: flickering and missing floors

• PP Hammer
      Issue: flickering

• Rainbow Islands (adf only)
      Issue: hangs after title
      Fix: use hdf version

• Rock’n’Roll
      Issue: gfx glitches / flickering
      Fix: set “Blitter: Normal,” use .adf and A500 config, and reboot

• Shufflepuck Cafe
      Issue: flickering
      Fix: set “Blitter: Normal” and reboot.

• Spacetaxi 3
      Issue: taxis move through each other
      Fix: set “Sprite Collisions: On” then it works perfectly.

• Spindizzy Worlds
      Issue: flickering/screen tearing
      Fix: set “Blitter: Normal” and reboot.

• Xenon 2
      Issue: hangs after title
      Fix: use hdf version “Xenon21 disk” which works perfectly.
    Games with no fixes (or unknown fixes)
    • Banshee AGA
      Issue: score display on left is missing.
      Fix: unknown

• IK+
      Issue: no sound fx
      Fix: unknown, but can play PlayStation 1 version in Retroarch instead. This requires cycle exact, which is not supported.

• Nebulus 2
      Issue: doors are not showing
      Fix: unknown. This requires cycle exact, which is not supported.

• Prince of Persia
      Issue: : runs slow
      Fix: unknown, but can play Usineur’s native Switch/Vita port SDLPop

Last edited by rsn8887, Jun 3, 2019
  7. RCP90totheface

RCP90totheface Member

Newcomer
    Jun 3, 2018
    United States
    AH grand, thanks for this. So it seems it's not an endemic problem as such, just unlucky game selection. ICFTD was definitely default settings, and running like 30-40% too fast (the intro speeds to the end without finishing the audio track, for example). POP makes sense, and with the stick-drag thing, it may be that I had a direction pulled when I launched either the game or the emu itself (I tend to test things out a bit hurriedly) so I'll watch for that.

Will definitely test some more and let you know what I find...

8. rsn8887
    OP

Oct 8, 2015
    United States
    Another thing to check: Use 50 Hz (PAL) setting, not 60 Hz (NTSC). Almost all Amiga games are PAL games, and run too fast or have glitches with 60 Hz NTSC setting.

9. rsn8887
    OP

Oct 8, 2015
    United States
    Last edited by rsn8887, Jun 10, 2019
    Tebra and hippy dave like this.
  10. afra

afra Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 13, 2015
    Iran
    I can't convert Amiga emulator NRO to NSP it give me key error can anyone make it a little bit easy for me ?

11. Artemis21

Artemis21 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 7, 2018
    Italy
    I'm trying to run the v1.95 on atmosphere but I can't see the executable in the hbmenu, I have /switch/uae4all2/uae4all2.nro.

If I navigate the folders with goldleaf It shows the uae4all2 folder as a hex file of 0kb. My SD is FAT32.

re-reading the instructions i've noticed
    • Copy the resulting folder uae4all2 to /switch/ onto your SDCard, ensure none of the "archive" flags is set.
    What archive flags...?

Last edited by Artemis21, Jun 28, 2019
  12. rsn8887
    OP

Oct 8, 2015
    United States
    The archive flag causes exactly the problem that you are seeing.

When this flag is set on a folder, the Switch thinks that the folder is a file. It is used to store files larger than 4 Gb.

To fix the problem, right click your folders in Windows, select properties, and remove the checkmark next to “archived”. Make sure this is also applied to all subfolders and files, so that none of them has the archived checkmark.

See here for an explanation of the archive flag: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...o-a-file/0a780164-62a6-4d3b-a58b-77f444d2494b

13. Artemis21

Artemis21 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 7, 2018
    Italy
    Ah thank you! I thought it was something related to the zip file but couldn't fint the option.

On a side note, is there some possibility for this emulator to be ported on libretro? it would be wonderfull having it in retroarch (P-UAE core is not on the switch).

14. rsn8887
    OP

Oct 8, 2015
    United States
    I think it would be too much work to bring this into libretro, because of how it is written. It would be easier to bring latest fs-uae into libretro.

15. rsn8887
    OP

Oct 8, 2015
    United States
    New update v1.96. Download here: https://github.com/rsn8887/uae4all2/releases/latest

Changelog

• increase maximum displayed lines from 270 to 286, useful for overscan games like Babeanoid
    • fix cia overlay in AGA mode, fixes Reshoot-R hang at title screen
    • add instruction manual to Vita livearea screen
    Follow me on Twitter to stay up to date with all releases, like here:

Babenoid. reshoot-r.

Last edited by rsn8887, Jul 4, 2019
    angelhp, Connorsdad, Tebra and 5 others like this.
  16. gizmomelb

gizmomelb GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 13, 2006
    Australia
    rsn8887 likes this.
  17. CrashMidnick

CrashMidnick GBAtemp Regular

Jul 22, 2015
    France
    Thanks mate !

rsn8887 likes this.
  18. afra

afra Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 13, 2015
    Iran
    afra Advanced Member
    Newcomer
    Level 2

Jul 13, 2015
    [​IMG]
    I can't convert Amiga emulator NRO to NSP it give me key error , can you help me?

19. rsn8887
    OP

Oct 8, 2015
    United States
    New minor update, version 1.97 (Switch only)

Download: https://github.com/rsn8887/uae4all2/releases/latest

1.97 (Switch only)
    • add option to main menu that displays online instruction manual (opens web browser)

Last edited by rsn8887, Jul 18, 2019
    hippy dave, RRWcomicsboy and snoofly like this.
  20. Nightfox_

Nightfox_ Member

Newcomer
    Jun 4, 2018
    Australia
    Is there a way to get 256 colour mode working in AmigaOS 3.1.4? It works on my real Amiga 1200

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted