Hacking [Release] 3DSFAT16tool - dump/inject the fat16 partition from nand dumps

mvmiranda

Trophies
Website
www.gamemod.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Does this look like a "valid" XORed FAT16?
2hrd47r.jpg

When I try to open the 0.fat file I get this error:
2s141np.png

Codename

GREEN BRO IS BEST BRO
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I figured out how to do that, but I can't get the decrypted fat16 image to mount. I always just get an unknown or corrupt image file. Yet when I look at the file with a hex editor, I can see plenty of stuff (like folder names and stuff that should be in the fat16 of the NAND.) If it matters, the fat16 I got was from my MT-Card 9.4 EmuNAND, plus I don't even have a 3DS-mode flashcard. Help with the mounting issue please?

Edit: Nevermind, I got it working. I'll post a simple guide tomorrow

cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
I figured out how to do that, but I can't get the decrypted fat16 image to mount. I always just get an unknown or corrupt image file. Yet when I look at the file with a hex editor, I can see plenty of stuff (like folder names and stuff that should be in the fat16 of the NAND.) If it matters, the fat16 I got was from my MT-Card 9.4 EmuNAND, plus I don't even have a 3DS-mode flashcard. Help with the mounting issue please?

Edit: Nevermind, I got it working. I'll post a simple guide tomorrow
a guide for what? for mounting it? most people on windows just use 'winimage'
getting your fat16 partition is not new, people have been able to do it for a while, just this makes it a lot easier because you don't need to use a hex editor, that is it.

Reactions: Codename

Codename

GREEN BRO IS BEST BRO
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So now that I've gotten my fat16 partition decrypted, what can I do to it? Can I add custom titles or remove system titles? Can I move downloadable titles from my SD card to my fat16 partition? Can I add devmenu or other leaked software from the developer SDK? Is there anyway I can edit my fat16 to allow me to play homebrew or ROMs? Or is the only purpose of decrypting the fat16 to browse the filesystem? Thank you!

cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
So now that I've gotten my fat16 partition decrypted, what can I do to it? Can I add custom titles or remove system titles? Can I move downloadable titles from my SD card to my fat16 partition? Can I add devmenu or other leaked software from the developer SDK? Is there anyway I can edit my fat16 to allow me to play homebrew or ROMs? Or is the only purpose of decrypting the fat16 to browse the filesystem? Thank you!

you can delete stuff sure, why not 'health and saftey'.
things still need to be signed, we can't simply add custom stuff/dev stuff.
no you cannot edit anything on fat16 to let you play roms. unless you know exactly what to edit, and how to resign it :D

Bug_Checker_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wanted a better/faster way to extract the fat16 partition from the nand dump, so I made a python tool to do it. Opening up a hex editor and doing it like that is possible, but some hex editors are better than others and difficult to use for some people, but this tool I made is nice and easy to use.
It supports dumping and injecting it, and supports the 'normal' 3ds nand and new3ds nand.
I'm sure I could detect it automatically, but for new3ds you need to add '-n3ds' as an argument. (although this is not useful for n3ds right now because we don't have public nand access, but later it will be useful)

Naturally you need to xor the fat16 partition to make it readable, so xor is after dumping, and re-xor it before injecting.

For browsing/editing the fat16 file, instead of relying on something weird like 'WinImage' - just rename the fat16 file as '.iso', then I simply double click it and it mounts just like any other drive/volume on my computer - easy editing! I'm on mac so it is very easy for me to do. I'm not sure how easy it is to mount disks on windows...

If you can answer 1 question, was the private N3DS NAND dump done with hardware or software?
And a 2nd question, what was the firmware version/region of the N3DS that was dumped?

cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Bug_Checker_ - i have no idea. it has nothing to do with me, but the size of the n3ds fat16 partition is listed on 3dbrew so i knew how to add support to it, simple :)

i tried to use a fat16 partition from a different 3ds, but it didn't work. - why not? :)
maybe i made a mistake, if anyone has success please share here! i would have thought it would be ok.

swarzesherz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Changing is possible > http://gbatemp.net/threads/poc-3ds-region-changing-proof.378110

It's not that easy to get it all working like you are used to with your unchanged Region.

If we could obtain a new version .csu from "config" it could be easier (2.3.4 is too old).

http://3dbrew.org/wiki/3DS_Development_Unit_Software

the config just changes region as in selected country, not actual 3ds console region (but i still thought maybe it will help with our problem with eshop)

Reactions: liomajor

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Whore yourself out 12 times for $100 and go buy a pc
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i got xp but running it off usb only, no way ima keep that
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it gets hacked/corrupted if i just leave it online for an hour
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, The Russians are after you lol.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Send me your ip I'll remotely fix it
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 my head needs fixing if I believe you
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's kinda fun watching it happen tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It needs fixing for other things but your pc I can fix
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    over 300+ virus/trojians/worms after scanning, what did I do to deserve this attention lol
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    tho I find it funny when i receive other people's pc/laptops in this state
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i wont be upgrading unless I cant run the games i want anymore
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spill water on it good excuse
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 that's like a valid option if someone else is paying for ya
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Daddy's wallet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ngl hogwarts legacy has good pooping music
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    That's uh-
    That's certainly a Dairy Queen sign lmao
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You should see his help wanted signs
    Ugh, so many sweat-dipwads in Sploon 3 Anarchy mode tonight
    I didn't know this was "Make Octo never finish Fresh Season 2024 Catalog in Splatoon 3" month, good god
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of "confirming" games you know will get released. Like Nintendo "confirming" a Zelda sequel. "We can't be sure Nintendo is working on a new Zelda game, or if a new Zelda game will ever be released, until they officially confirm it."
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "There is literally no way to know if they will ever release a new Zelda game, it's wild speculation until they officially confirm it."
    Veho @ Veho: "There is literally no way to know if they will ever release a new Zelda game, it's wild...