Hacking Region patch the Sonic DX Chao distribution disc

SuperrSonic

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
There's a Japanese exclusive demo disc which includes a section dedicated to distributing the Tails, Knuckles and Amy chao. The Tiny Chao Garden included has a title screen and the Cream & Cheese mini-game from Sonic Advance 2.

If you somehow obtain this demo and try sending one of the chao to a GBA, it won't be possible to copy the chao to the NTSC-U or PAL versions of Sonic Adventure DX or Sonic Adventure 2: Battle.

It took a bit of time but the solution is quite easy, there's a couple of ways to approach this; the simple way is to use a code.
Code:
Patch main.dol rom patching [SS]
200617E0 4753424A
040617E0 475342XX // Tiny Chao Garden Title ID,(0x45=E, 0x50=P) the main.dol patches the TCG rom to include 1000 rings, the chao, and the JPN title ID!
040617EC 41534FXX // Sonic Advance(JPN) title ID, not necessary unless you want to put your chao in SA(?) not sure if that's a thing.
This code sends you a TCG compatible with any region SADX or SA2B.

So a trivial rom swap with the TCG in SADX wouldn't work because it gets patched during the copy. Although it's worth mentioning for the next solution, the Tiny Chao Garden rom in SADX/SA2B is in Japanese, the languages exist in the rom though, and are selected by a header patch.
This is likely why no one has released the TCG rom with the Chao Searching mini-game in various languages other than Japanese.

Simply open the rom in a hex editor, and change the bytes at address 0xD0 with 0x8CE17886, 0xCF(language order) with 0x01, 0xC4 with 0x0101, and 0xBD with 0xA3, for English or 0xD0 with 0xCE49D6B3, 0xCF with 0x04 for Spanish, or 0xD0 with 0x58BFF086, 0xCF with 0x02 for German, and finally 0xD0 with 0x8A637033, 0xCF with 0x03 for French. Huff... huff, and 0xA3 and 0x0101 needs to be applied to all of them, don't know if it's necessary but that's how Sonic DX patches it.
Oaw5EhB.png

Since changing the language is so easy why not try it with the TCG rom in the demo disc? And that's the next solution, and my preferred method.
Languages in this rom seem slightly less supported, setting it to Spanish most of the graphics remained in English.

The demo disc is bloated with videos and other demos so I extracted the iso from it and recommend others to do that as well, the actual thing is only 8 MB vs 1 GB of videos. The file is called sonic.tgc.

Extract the files from the iso, I used gcreex. Open the main.dol in a hex editor and go to 0x5E7E0 and change the ID GSBJ to GSBE or GSBP(depends on your region). Then open game.zip (I used winrar because I had trouble with others), extract nport/ChaoGC.bin, now open it in a hex editor and change the language to the one you want following the instructions above. Drag and drop it back into game.zip, pack up and test it.

Nickel1817

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I came here from your comment in my thread, knowing there is a solution is a big relief. However, I’m not very experienced with code or hex editor or things like that. Is there a tutorial on how to do this anywhere? Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

SuperrSonic

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
However, I’m not very experienced with code or hex editor or things like that. Is there a tutorial on how to do this anywhere? Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.
Put the code from the op in a .gct maker. This works http://geckocodes.org/index.php?gct=

1. Title ID can be whatever, it's how the file will be named when saved.
2. Is the GC game NTSC-U or PAL ? Look at the code, if it's NTSC-U change the XX to 45.
3. Copy the code to the text window, but make sure to give it a title.
Example:
Code:
Patch main.dol  <-- that's the title
200617E0 4753424A
040617E0 47534245
040617EC 41534F45
4. Click "Add Codes", checkmark the code, click "Download GCT".
5. Read the instructions for how to load cheats with the loader of your choice.
6. That's it, the game will now recognize the chao+rings.

The rest is optional and already explained in the op.

chaoanaya

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got the code to work when I realized that the code has to be used on the demo disc. I was stuck for 2 hours or so, trying figure out what I did wrong which was that I was applying the code to SADX and SA2B.

Nickel1817

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since this code isn't actually an AR code, do I need to go through the whole mess of decrypting it with AR to Ocarina and all those things like that, or is it necessary I do that whole process?

jFar920

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
jordanfirari.com
XP
Country
United States
Apologies for the bump, but I just stumbled across this thread.

I bought a Japanese GameCube a while back and it actually came with this demo disc without me knowing and I was excited to use it until I realized the Tiny Chao Garden was region locked, so I gave up. I'd love to get this to work, but I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, or if the method I'm attempting this with just isn't compatible.

I'm using an NTSC-U GameCube running Swiss through the memory card, loading cheats through an SD in the serial port, and running the actual disc (not a backup) from Swiss. The cheat appears in the cheat menu, but doesn't appear to do anything when enabled. Below is what I have, which is identical code-wise from above:

Code:
[D55J01] Interractive Disc Catalog Summer 2003 For Japan (NTSC-J)

Patch main.dol rom patching [SS]
200617E0 4753424A
040617E0 47534245
040617EC 41534F45

I've never used cheats before using Swiss, just never had the need to yet since I've only recently started using it, so I don't know if my setup is causing the issue or I'm doing something wrong with the patch, or maybe this just doesn't even work with Swiss. Any help is appreciated!

SuperrSonic

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
I'm using an NTSC-U GameCube running Swiss through the memory card, loading cheats through an SD in the serial port, and running the actual disc (not a backup) from Swiss. The cheat appears in the cheat menu, but doesn't appear to do anything when enabled.

I've never used cheats before using Swiss, just never had the need to yet since I've only recently started using it, so I don't know if my setup is causing the issue or I'm doing something wrong with the patch, or maybe this just doesn't even work with Swiss. Any help is appreciated!
I can't test under those conditions, but running the iso on dolphin via swiss does tell me the addresses are correct.

Could you test cheats with normal games to confirm if it's just the code the problem? Maybe swiss doesn't support cheats when the game loads another .dol like here.

Reactions: Alexander1970

jFar920

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
jordanfirari.com
XP
Country
United States
I grabbed a cheat file for SA2B from a different thread here on GBATemp and tested it with the disc and a backup on the SD and had no issues. It could have to do with the game having different .dol files to choose from, I typically just pick the first one or hit B to boot normally. I'll try some cheats on Gems Collection, I know that has several .dol files as well. I'll also record a video to make sure I'm not being dumb

Edit:

Edit 2: I am also having issues finding any sort of cheats for Gems so that might not be the best test

Last edited by jFar920,

SuperrSonic

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Edit 2: I am also having issues finding any sort of cheats for Gems so that might not be the best test
When swiss says to select DOL, try joycarry.tgc because that should be closer to how I tested it (by converting the tgc to iso and loading it as a standalone game.)

This should prove if the game loses cheats after dol loading.

jFar920

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
jordanfirari.com
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for the wait. I gave it a shot last night and it did work that time. I was ready to say it didn’t because it was still Japanese and I thought it would have changed, but I figured I should probably check completely and it transferred just fine.

Just to be clear though, even though I didn’t show it in the video, I did attempt to transfer it prior, it didn’t work. Also, upon transferring one, it goes back to the main menu, so I tried to transfer again and it wouldn’t recognize it that time, so it must reset with the .dol swap

Thank you so much for this, this is a childhood dream come true

SuperrSonic

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Same, back then I got the link cable exclusively for chao stuff, and having access to this disc feels great. Sega should've thrown this into Gems Collection or Riders.

About the language of the TCG, I didn't expect someone to have the physical disc to do this with, there's little point now but here are some codes to switch between them in case someone wants them.
Code:
*Chao names are still in Japanese.

ChaoGC.bin in English
20e82e70 d431cecb
04e82e70 8ce17886
00e82e6f 00000001
02e82e64 00000101
00e82e5d 000000a3
e0000000 80008000

ChaoGC.bin in Spanish
20e82e70 d431cecb
04e82e70 ce49d6b3
00e82e6f 00000004
02e82e64 00000101
00e82e5d 000000a3
e0000000 80008000

ChaoGC.bin in French
20e82e70 d431cecb
04e82e70 8a637033
00e82e6f 00000003
02e82e64 00000101
00e82e5d 000000a3
e0000000 80008000

ChaoGC.bin in German
20e82e70 d431cecb
04e82e70 58bff086
00e82e6f 00000002
02e82e64 00000101
00e82e5d 000000a3
e0000000 80008000

Khlomour

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,
Sorry to necro/bump this but I have a question hopefully you can help me with before I get started trying to apply this amazing fix. I have a GameCube (and a Japanese GameCube) with the Japanese promo disk and a GameCube to gba link cable and a physical gba. I have an action replay for my gba, an action replay for my GameCube, and can load Swiss.
I am very new to hacking and im confused if what im trying to do is even possible after reading this thread and watching the video posted.
Is it possible to load this disc/iso with the hex editing you described via Swiss (or AR code?) and send the chao to a physical gba via the link cable and then trade it into a us version of Sa2b or SaDX on a GameCube?
Thanks for taking the time make this thread, I really enjoyed seeing the info on the TCG.

SuperrSonic

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Is it possible to load this disc/iso with the hex editing you described via Swiss (or AR code?) and send the chao to a physical gba via the link cable and then trade it into a us version of Sa2b or SaDX on a GameCube?
Thanks for taking the time make this thread, I really enjoyed seeing the info on the TCG.
If you can load cheats with swiss in other discs, then this should also work. But if it doesn't work and SA2/DX shows a blank GBA in the Chao Transporter, you could try loading the codes directly from the AR, that works in Dolphin at least.

Reactions: Khlomour

Khlomour

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Firstly, thank you so much for responding to me. I really appreciate you taking the time to help!
I'll get to it with swiss and additionally test the AR hardware soon. I wonder if I need an (m) code if I use the AR because I'm not emulating, I know you don't need (m) codes on dolphin.
Thanks again :D

Last edited by Khlomour,

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Interesting indeed. I assumed that the Tiny Chao Garden multiboots were done with hotpatching as soon as I got my hands on a set of GBA multiboot dumps and the TCG always defaulted to Japanese with a generic Chao.

Now, as for hard-baking the Tails, Amy, and Knuckles Chao and the English language into those ROMs for use with the GBP, or the GCN and Wii multiboot loaders (or even just flashcarts lol)...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/3eGAHfC5P-Y?si=Fo3iEl1pZ4D_O6dp +1