Homebrew Region locking

Lambo4life

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't done any kinda of "hacking" or w/e in a looooong time and I currently have a new3ds xl and am on Ver. 11.4.0-37U. I only want to be able to buy and play Japanese games on my American 3ds so I was wondering what the simplest (and preferably cheapest :P) way to do that is, if there even is a way to do that since I probably have a pretty recent firmware.

Last edited by Lambo4life,

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't done any kinda of "hacking" or w/e in a looooong time and I currently have a new3ds xl and am on Ver. 11.4.0-37U. I only want to be able to buy and play Japanese games on my American 3ds so I was wondering what the simplest (and preferably cheapest :P) way to do that is, if there even is a way to do that since I probably have a pretty recent firmware.
You need to get custom firmware for region free capabilities. The most effective and cheapest way to do that is to buy a compatible flashcard and use the guide to install NTRBootHaX.

Roboman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need to get custom firmware for region free capabilities. The most effective and cheapest way to do that is to buy a compatible flashcard and use the guide to install NTRBootHaX.
Wrong. Very wrong.
You can run out of region games with the home brew launcher.
You can use cfw to run out of region games as well but saying it is the only way is just wrong.

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wrong. Very wrong.
You can use cfw to run out of region games as well but saying it is the only way is just wrong.
I never said it was the ONLY way.... Sorry I didn't feel like explaining that he's on 11.4 so there are very few userland primary exploits that work. RPHHax is patched, NoteHaX required having the game installed before the update (if you download it now, you only get the updated version), SoundHaX was patched, OOtHaX and BaseHax both can only be installed on firmwares under 11.2, and require another 3DS. The only other exploits available require a game (freakyhax or SSB) which cost about the same as the flashcard to get CFW.

Not to mention, CTRHttpwn was also patched in 11.4 so there is no way to use online functions in game or connect to eShops servers if he stays on 11.4 to use regular HomeBrew. If he updates, the hax payloads will still work but are extremely buggy. As most of the HomeBrew in the starter pack was created with old versions of lib that aren't currently supported (or supported poorly) there are extreme compatibility issues with userland HomeBrew above 11.4 (He may want to go online at some point?)>

I offered a solution that doesn't require tons of back and forth, that will solve his problem and leave him with less questions later. Sorry I'm not going to explain every single option people have to do something so simple. They could have googled and found all the crap I just posted, but how many noobs like to read through anything? They'd rather have a direct answer, which I provided. Thanks.

Reactions: Joel16 and Hunter

Roboman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never said it was the ONLY way.... Sorry I didn't feel like explaining that he's on 11.4 so there are very few userland primary exploits that work. RPHHax is patched, NoteHaX required having the game installed before the update (if you download it now, you only get the updated version), SoundHaX was patched, OOtHaX and BaseHax both can only be installed on firmwares under 11.2, and require another 3DS. The only other exploits available require a game (freakyhax or SSB) which cost about the same as the flashcard to get CFW.

Not to mention, CTRHttpwn was also patched in 11.4 so there is no way to use online functions in game or connect to eShops servers if he stays on 11.4 to use regular HomeBrew. If he updates, the hax payloads will still work but are extremely buggy. As most of the HomeBrew in the starter pack was created with old versions of lib that aren't currently supported (or supported poorly) there are extreme compatibility issues with userland HomeBrew above 11.4 (He may want to go online at some point?)>

I offered a solution that doesn't require tons of back and forth, that will solve his problem and leave him with less questions later. Sorry I'm not going to explain every single option people have to do something so simple. They could have googled and found all the crap I just posted, but how many noobs like to read through anything? They'd rather have a direct answer, which I provided. Thanks.
It was the specific wording you used. You will "need to" install cfw. It fairly strongly implies it is the only option or a required action.
That being said purely user land home brew has become quite deprecated lately; however it is still a strong option for the extremely basic use case of booting an out of region game.

They are both good options in this case.

Last edited by Roboman,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Wrong. Very wrong.
He wants the cheapest way. A $20 flashcart is cheaper than Cubic Ninja or Freaky Forms Deluxe. So, he answered the question that was asked (simplest and cheapest way) perfectly.

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was the specific wording you used. You will "need to" install cfw. It fairly strongly implies it is the only option or a required action.
That being said purely user land home brew has become quite deprecated lately; however it is still a strong option for the extremely basic use case of booting an out of region game.

They are both good options in this case.
It's NOT a strong option when you consider everything I just told you....Why would I offer him something that he can't use easily? There are no primary exploits available on his firmware free or cheap; when compared to a compatible flashcard. Even if he decided to buy one of the games, he would need to create an emunand and update that to be able to go online.
Then if he decides to install other stuff later (I highly doubt he's using his console for ONE game, out of region or not) he'll probably wonder why he has to unwrap them all the time.
Then he'll come back asking the difference between EmuNAND and sysnand, and realize he needs to format one of them after installing tons of stuff.
Then he'll think he's going to lose all his data...
Then he'll wonder about his saves
Then he'll keep getting a red screen in HomeBrew because the payloads are buggy...
Then he may update in sysnand while not realizing it and lose his hax he just paid for.

Do you see where I'm going with this? Userland HomeBrew is more complicated to maintain than CFW, and as of right now it's a lot harder to access as well, with a hell of a lot less reward and stability. I don't understand how this isn't common sense to most people. Yes, HomeBrew will do what he wants but there is an easier and simpler solution with less drawbacks.

I mean damn, with the R4i B9S he can literally pay less than $20, wait a week and install HaX by popping in a card and pressing a button.........

Last edited by Majickhat55,
Reactions: Deleted User

Roboman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's NOT a strong option when you consider everything I just told you....Why would I offer him something that he can't use easily? There are no primary exploits available on his firmware free or cheap; when compared to a compatible flashcard. Even if he decided to buy one of the games, he would need to create an emunand and update that to be able to go online.
Then if he decides to install other stuff later (I highly doubt he's using his console for ONE game, out of region or not) he'll probably wonder why he has to unwrap them all the time.
Then he'll come back asking the difference between EmuNAND and sysnand, and realize he needs to format one of them after installing tons of stuff.
Then he'll think he's going to lose all his data...
Then he'll wonder about his saves
Then he'll keep getting a red screen in HomeBrew because the payloads are buggy...
Then he may update in sysnand while not realizing it and lose his hax he just paid for.

Do you see where I'm going with this? Userland HomeBrew is more complicated to maintain than CFW, and as of right now it's a lot harder to access as well, with a hell of a lot less reward and stability. I don't understand how this isn't common sense to most people. Yes, HomeBrew will do what he wants but there is an easier and simpler solution with less drawbacks.

I mean damn, with the R4i B9S he can literally pay less than $20, wait a week and install HaX by popping in a card and pressing a button.........
I'm pretty confused. You brought up EMUNAND and started going on like we were talking about menuhax coldboot.
You do bring up a good point in that Nintendo has patched all the public primary exploits. But the home brew method I brought up involves launching the home brew launcher then boot the region free game launcher.

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm pretty confused. You brought up EMUNAND and started going on like we were talking about menuhax coldboot.
You do bring up a good point in that Nintendo has patched all the public primary exploits. But the home brew method I brought up involves launching the home brew launcher then boot the region free game launcher.
Uhm. What homebrew method have you mentioned? I have read everything and you havent mentioned anything other than CFW once.

Reactions: Quantumcat

Roboman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uhm. What homebrew method have you mentioned? I have read everything and you havent mentioned anything other than CFW once.
This one...? http://smealum.github.io/3ds/
Just the good old home brew launcher.
I never suggested any specific entrypoint.
It feels like you guys are attacking me for suggesting anything other than 'get B9S cfw'. I just want people to remember its not the only option.

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This one...? http://smealum.github.io/3ds/
Just the good old home brew launcher.
I never suggested any specific entrypoint.
It feels like you guys are attacking me for suggesting anything other than 'get B9S cfw'. I just want people to remember its not the only option.
Its not a attack on you. Its just that as you have seen, Ninty has patched basically any and all free to relatively cheap entrypoints that if you didnt get said entrypoint installed and operative before any new updates, that simply that hax will no longer work. At this point in time. All that is really left thats viable now is the B9S CFW. If they got a older way, then power to them. Just be careful on system and app updates.

Reactions: Quantumcat

Lambo4life

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Just for the record I did search all over not just one or two places for over an hour. But there are some many methods and most that I found were older so I figured they wouldn't work anymore. This was just a means of getting confirmation that that was the most cost/time/effort effective way for me to do what I wanted and possibly be taught something I didn't know because god knows there are a millions ways to do these things but they also end up getting fixed with time so I wasn't too sure which ways were possible and which ones weren't. All that said... You completely answered my question in your first post and I appreciate that cause you could have just as easily been one of the people that say "google it" and that's it. So thanks for the help! lol I ordered a cart today.

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just for the record I did search all over not just one or two places for over an hour. But there are some many methods and most that I found were older so I figured they wouldn't work anymore. This was just a means of getting confirmation that that was the most cost/time/effort effective way for me to do what I wanted and possibly be taught something I didn't know because god knows there are a millions ways to do these things but they also end up getting fixed with time so I wasn't too sure which ways were possible and which ones weren't. All that said... You completely answered my question in your first post and I appreciate that cause you could have just as easily been one of the people that say "google it" and that's it. So thanks for the help! lol I ordered a cart today.
I'm glad. I didn't mean to imply that you hadn't done your own research but just as you said, it was a bit overwhelming because things have changed a lot since most of those sites you probably found were updated. If you have any questions when it comes to using the card itself when it arrives or installing NTRBootHAX you're more than welcomed to tag me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I hate myself