Hacking Region Converted Wii and 4.2

phantagom

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If you have a region converted Wii and you update to 4.2 (also with wanikoko's update Need to be confirmed) then you will get a 003 Error.

"error:003 unauthorized device has been detected"

On most forums the 003 Error reports are coming from region converted korean Wii.

Lets find out why and how we can upgrade, for now it's not important, but in the future it can/will be. If this is the case then region converted owners are stuck on 4.1 for always... The new Shop channel v17 is safe to update on a region converted korean Wii, I tested it my self.

So how does ninty check you have a region converted Wii.

1. They do a serial number check? If not matches the region then brick.
2. The 4.2 upgrade checks for leftover IOS 4x (those IOS's are only for korean Wii) if you have then brick.
3, Check key store for Korean key?Most likely it will be this way. -> http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=183063

And what part of the upgrade does the check.

1. New boot2v4 dont think so, and this boot2v4 is already longer out
2. IOS70. The routine for the key check would be in here
3. System menu. Most likely the system menu calls the routine in IOS70 for the korean key check.

There are 3 ways to prevent this as I can think of.

1. Delete korean key from EEPROM. (cant be done I think, but would be the best way for now and future upgrades.)
2. Change the routine in IOS70 that is never reports the korean key.
3. Kill the check in SysMenu 4.2

Option one would be best, 2 and 3 are temp fixes and every upgrade they need to be patched again.

mariomaniac33

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ironically, I'm looking into this as well. Apparently 4.2 has updated region security. So far, I have found a new check in booting games at offset 0x8137E930 in 4.2U. I think this check and possibly something else is blocking our previous region free Wiis from playing out of region games
dry.gif
. Overall, more research needs to be done on the new region protection.

Also, I have been thinking that error 003 is Nintendo's modchip detection, as I have been analyzing the new system menu and I am finding things that may support this theory. I haven't found too much on it yet though, but I can tell you that A LOT more of the system menu has been rewritten than people have been mentioning. However, I don't see any way to get past the modchip detection or the region free problem as of now
blink.gif

phantagom

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Here is some interesting post. http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=183063

IT seems if you patch IOS70 in a certain way the sys menu will give you a 003 Error.

I seen one guy who upgrade to 4.2J on a US Wii without any problems, so far it seems only the Korean Wii's will get a 003 after regain changed.

I cant install Bootmii in boot2, or else I would test my self somethings.

phantagom

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I was thinking can it be the global common korean key from the key store? The one in the serial EEPROM. This should still be present on your Wii after a region change right? That would be a easy check for ninty. I am guessing they use this for a check. If present then brick... That would also explain why only korean Wii' brick. Other regions dont have common key in EEPROM only the Korean ones.

happydance

Trophies
XP
Country
if it does the check and finds its a korean wii, and brick it!!?? why would nintendo do that!!? are they screwing with koean wii's cause they are much cheaper?
why just not contiue the update and abort the process, i'm sure it checks first before downloading ang doing changes

phantagom

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
happydance said:
if it does the check and finds its a korean wii, and brick it!!?? why would nintendo do that!!? are they screwing with koean wii's cause they are much cheaper?
why just not contiue the update and abort the process, i'm sure it checks first before downloading ang doing changes

No, it doesnt check during or before. After the upgrade when you reboot and when de new system menu launches it will brick. It's the new system menu who check for a converted Wii.

phantagom

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
not enough people with hacker skills and a korean Wii, What is the best way to fix this problem. I am thinking erasing the Korean key from the eepro, but how can this be done?

HiBit

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
phantagom said:
not enough people with hacker skills and a korean Wii, What is the best way to fix this problem. I am thinking erasing the Korean key from the eepro, but how can this be done?
A eeprom in a Wii?
I'm sure the Wii has only a NAND flash and a one time programable area in the hollywood chip.

If the reason is something @ the otp memory in the hollywood chip you can't change it and if it's something in the NAND you can change it with fstoolbox.

I don't know what it is because i didn't have a korean Wii, but a user with a NAND programmer kann check it.
This user can convert a dump from another Wii, convert it and flash it to the NAND.
If it work ...
If it not work you can't fix the problem, only a patched sysmenu can help.

TheShadowRunner

I'm like you, I have no name.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
phantagom said:
I seen one guy who upgrade to 4.2J on a US Wii without any problems, so far it seems only the Korean Wii's will get a 003 after regain changed.

Maybe it was me? ^^
I can confirm this. My USA wii converted to Japanese (4.1U to 4.1J) had no problem whatsoever when upgraded to 4.2J.
It looks like Nintendo targetted Korean Wii specifically..
Later,

TSR

phantagom

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
HiBit said:
phantagom said:
A eeprom in a Wii?
I'm sure the Wii has only a NAND flash and a one time programable area in the hollywood chip.

If the reason is something @ the otp memory in the hollywood chip you can't change it and if it's something in the NAND you can change it with fstoolbox.

I don't know what it is because i didn't have a korean Wii, but a user with a NAND programmer kann check it.
This user can convert a dump from another Wii, convert it and flash it to the NAND.
If it work ...
If it not work you can't fix the problem, only a patched sysmenu can help.

Yes a Wii has a EEPROM Read bushing blog here http://hackmii.com/2008/09/korean-wii

There are two places inside the Hollywood package that contain programmable bits — a bank of OTP memory (One-Time Programmable, AKA fuses), and a serial EEPROM (which is actually reprogrammable).

And inside the EEPROM is the korean key on a korean Wii, and bushing say it's reprogrammable, but how, trough software on a Wii or a hardware eeprom programmer?

Wiiwu

Trophies
Website
mmm4wii.posterous.com
XP
Country
Hong Kong
I wonder for US Wii what is stored in the EEPROM location? If its all zero and if we can find a way to write to EEPROM that will be a way to prevent nintendo from detecting korean wii and bricking them. But has anyone found out for sure which detection method is used?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    cearp @ cearp: Welcome hazbeans