Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was just browsing through Reddit's Open Signups which is specifically about Private Trackers (i.e. torrents shared in private communities) and then I see this:

Regardless of what anyone thinks of it, what the hell does that have to do with Open Signups and Private Trackers? Nothing. It's just a Reddit mod injecting his views upon a section of the website which has nothing to do with it and rightfully, that mod received backlash, but he responded back with "YoU'rE bEiNg DiSrEsPeCtFuL!!" and removed posts. The whole thing could have been avoided if he had been mature.

Reddit and Imgur have become a pain in the ass although, if you avoid their political threads they still have their good qualities (Reddit - content, Imgur - uploading images).

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
yeah that problem is everywhere not only reddit ....

If I am not completely mistaken even GBATemp had a small number of Stuff that was seen controversial over the decades.
Doesn't matter if you have "proffessional" paid stuff or just some random people doing this for free, everyone who get some kind of power is tempted to use it which isn't always a good thing.

I also had posts removed on facebook saying stuff like "I don't like the Chinese because of..." saying that its hate speech while someone else was posting Nazi pics and stuff in the same topic and not getting this stuff removed even though I and other people reported it.

Also the other way around I was mod on two Communities as well many years ago but got kicked because I was to lenient ... the other Mods and Admins were pissed at me because I usually didn't remove or edit posts that sounded controversial, only if they were really really bad and preffered to just wirte a PN like "hey man try not to overdo it" or write it as a comment ...

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I am going to be honest, I actually think sites need to address the rampant misinformation being spread through them. So many conspiracies have been spreading like wildfire, that even the Temp has a problem. I really think that the misinformation needs to be addressed.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I am going to be honest, I actually think sites need to address the rampant misinformation being spread through them. So many conspiracies have been spreading like wildfire, that even the Temp has a problem. I really think that the misinformation needs to be addressed.
Who would be the arbitrator of truth and who would monitor what they are doing?

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
NGL, I have no idea and that's why I only leave that as my opinion and have no idea how to act on it
Fair enough. I can see how people intentionally spreading false information could be a concern, but I also worry that by trying to hinder it you would hand very effective censoring tools to some arbitrary actor.

Reactions: The Catboy

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Fair enough. I can see how people intentionally spreading false information could be a concern, but I also worry that by trying to hinder it you would hand very effective censoring tools to some arbitrary actor.
It's a real pickle because there's a legit problem but addressing the problem becomes an issue in itself.

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
I moderate two small (10k) subreddits. In the end it's my decision what's on my sub and what's not. Sometimes you just can't avoid hurting someones feelings with all the consequences.

In OPs case I don't see why a post shouldn't stay up, even when it's not related to the general topic. Mods have opinions, too, and here it's for a good cause.

In the end, if you think a mod isn't doing a particularly good job and you have a good case for it, open another subreddit and let users decide.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait a second, you just realize Reddit has corrupt hall monitors, and abuse their powers?

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Call me old fashioned but I think the best use of social media is dialogue not as a knowledge base. It's too late for adults but kids should be taught in school not to believe everything they see on [insert website/app].

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Call me old fashioned but I think the best use of social media is dialogue not as a knowledge base. It's too late for adults but kids should be taught in school not to believe everything they see on [insert website/app].
Problem is that Older Generation is still in power and if there is anything about power is that the person that has it, will refuse to step down

also if ramped misinformation is all you digest, you would get accustom to it, people might have a hard to time distinguish the difference

CRAZIER Theorys would normalized smaller misinformation

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Problem is that Older Generation is still in power and if there is anything about power is that the person that has it, will refuse to step down

also if ramped misinformation is all you digest, you would get accustom to it, people might have a hard to time distinguish the difference

CRAZIER Theorys would normalized smaller misinformation
Yep, it's all fucked.. add A.I fakery into the equation and no one is gonna have a clue what's real soon.

ChiefReginod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And here we are in 2023 with US intelligence saying that covid likely came from the lab in Wuhan via gain of function research. A lot of people got banned from reddit and other sites just for speculating about that. There was even a Chinese virologist who defected to the US in 2020 and wrote a paper with what she believed to be proof that it was engineered, but she was banned from every major platform as well for "misinformation."

Any truth should be able to withstand criticism and debate. We're all wrong sometimes. It's important that we find out when we are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi, https://youtu.be/N8pbnjvypQ0?feature=shared&t=958