Recovering files from a damaged microSD card?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by astrangeone, Nov 23, 2014.

1. astrangeone
    OP

astrangeone GBAtemp Addict

Dec 1, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    I love Fantasy Life, and I was just wondering if I could recover my save from that busted card (was using an adapter to make it into an actual SD card).

I began getting errors (saying that the SD card wasn't recognized a week ago). I managed to get another card this week, and I was doing a transfer to my laptop and it gave me an error and stopped working completely. The computer now wants to format it when it sees it.

I used a recovery tool (Recovery Robot) and it saw the files on it, but wanted me to register to get those files saved.

The other software I used was Recuva and it didn't do the job at all. Didn't even see the file system.

I need my Fantasy Life back. :P

2. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Unfortunately, the card is pretty much dead. AFAIK, a majority of the time, when an SD card is corrupted and isn't able to be read the data is most likely gone for good.

3. astrangeone
    OP

Dec 1, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    I'm trying with another program. EASEUS Data Recovery. Just trying to repair the partition now. I just want the save file back, and I can redownload everything from Nintendo.

Luckily the drive can be read by some programs, although not Recuva.

4. Lucifer666

Lucifer666 all the world needs is me

Apr 22, 2011
    The Fourth Dimension
    I use this software whenever I'm in a similar situation, it's called Data Doctor Recovery

saved my LIFE on several occasions. holy **ck I had like 4 pokemon saves on a micro SD along with a whole bunch of other games

try it out, it was a big help

I think it costs though, so you might have to buy (or pirate :ninja: ) it

5. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    This is true. My last SD card that died couldn't be recovered with anything I tried.
    I think I was able to recover it eventually, but can't remember exactly what I used. I think it was GetDataBack. Anyway it's worth it to keep trying.

6. greatwizard

greatwizard Member

Newcomer
    Sep 1, 2006
    France
    France
    Try testdisk, it's the best tools to recove partition/files.

7. astrangeone
    OP

Dec 1, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    Got back some data. Problem is, I don't know what to rename the files so that it works as a save file for this game. Darn 3DS naming conventions!

8. Chris Barter

Chris Barter Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 17, 2014
    Here's how you can recover back all data from your SD card -