Record Wii U footage without capture card?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Homebrew' started by PTKickass, Mar 30, 2017.

1. PTKickass
    OP

PTKickass Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 21, 2016
    Is there anyway possible to record gameplay off of a Wii U without using a Capture Card? If not, can you stream the Wii U to your PC, like, emulate a gamepad on the PC and record it from there? Thanks in advance.

2. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    NOPE. :P

(Well that is the truth right? I even asked about screenshots but that ain't possible neither) :(

3. DontShootUp

DontShootUp Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 10, 2013
    United States
    Screenshots are possible through Wii U Image Share.

PTKickass likes this.
  4. smileyhead

smileyhead Bow ties are cool.

GBAtemp Patron
    smileyhead is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Aug 31, 2015
    Hungary
    Budakeszi, Hungary
  5. PTKickass
    OP

PTKickass Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 21, 2016
    Thanks! I'll take a look at it

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Well, you can always use Wii U image share and take 30 screeshots each second... :P

6. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Okay, so suppose i don't have access to internet then what? :mellow:

7. smileyhead

smileyhead Bow ties are cool.

GBAtemp Patron
    smileyhead is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Aug 31, 2015
    Hungary
    Budakeszi, Hungary
    drc-sim

8. DontShootUp

DontShootUp Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 10, 2013
    United States
    I guess you'd be out of luck.

9. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    My point exactly, why would someone need to do such things as upload a picture to get screen shots? the system has a SD card SLOT. Super smash bros can take screen shots and save it on there. Why can't anything else? Is just dumb to even think about require to upload a picture to the internet to some place then use a pc to get it later.

Now that switch is out, screen shots are easy. Though if it had a video recorder built in like the shield tablet, that be cool. Even twitch streaming on that 5GHZ AC wifi, some impressive new features be great improvement. :)

I didn't have interest in recording wii u video without capture card, but i dunno if is possible to maybe create some kind of software encoder homebrew for the system? But least screen shouts shouldn't be a issue period. Doing reviews without capture card is next to impossible cause of this. Another reason why not many wii u reviews on this site even exist, cause of reasons like simple features done wrong.

To the original post, I may not be able to provide a very good solution to your question but there does exist a capture devices that can record videos without any pc, all powered by usb and SD card. Though is kinda against what you asked, i figured it maybe was curious to find a way to do so without needing a computer to do much work, Avermedia Live gamer portable is a capture system that doesn't need a pc so if is not something you interested in, sorry i'm not of much help. (That feels when you also want what been asked before) :(

10. Felek666

Felek666 Archdemon | #AMDForever

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    reddit.com/r/satania/
    Super Smash Bros. has this function hardcoded.
    Unless somebody decides to develop capture, render and produce type of homebrew which wouldn't crash everything or make Wii U throw DSI expection.

11. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    So then maybe reverse engineer that game for a way to create a homebrew to do such things? I mean we have cfw, but we don't have plugins like psp and that remote joy thing to use psp games on pc. But i suppose is a matter of who willing to try? To be honest i never saw psp like cfw plugins for wii or wii u. 3DS has it with luma and ntr but i hope perhaps wii can get it :)

12. Felek666

Felek666 Archdemon | #AMDForever

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    reddit.com/r/satania/
    If boot1 becomes a thing, then we will be able to [hopefully] flash OS with screenshot ability. For now, i don't see it happening since everything runs in HBL range.
    [Which creates incompatibility with some games]