Record VGA output and Audio output

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Kippykip, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Kippykip
    OP

Kippykip D E L E T T H I S

Mar 30, 2013
    I'm having trouble finding a capture card which records VGA output with audio out that records at least 1024x768
    I'll be using this to record Windows 98/Dos games and such

Does anybody know any recorders?

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Is loopback not an option? Dosbox and virtualbox do good things these days.

Still there are some, they tend to come at a reasonable price for what they are (you can get a HDMI one with higher res for cheaper*) as they are something of a niche device. In consumer world it is probably going to be avermedia that do what you want, no idea about an Australian supplier but their darkcrystal range is likely to be it
    http://solutions.avermedia.com/en/products/capture-cards

*to that end it might even be worth seeing if you can find one of the later AGP graphics cards that sports HDMI out.

3. Kippykip
    OP

Mar 30, 2013
    Dosbox is fine for dos games, however emulating Windows 9x can be a real pain setting up and most emulators don't support 3d with windows 98

Anyway the 98 Desktop has VGA/DVI/S-Video while the 98 Laptop only has VGA
    When I said card I meant one of those recording boxes that write to a harddrive or output usb to a program on another pc
    Not an actual pci card

like so:
    [​IMG]

4. Plstic

Plstic Guru Meditation Error

Apr 21, 2010
    United States
    Milwaukee WI
    Kippykip likes this.
  5. Randamin

Randamin GBAtemp Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    United States
    Laredo, TX
    As far as I know there aren't any usb capture cards with a VGA input so that would mean having to compromise. In other words, converting the VGA signal to HDMI so it can be readily connected to any of the readily available capture cards. Whether these other capture cards can handle a resolution that isn't the standard 480p,720p,1080p is still to be seen but hopefully it won't be a problem.

6. Kippykip
    OP

Mar 30, 2013
    That looks like a good one, that way I can record the PS1/NES too!
    However the official site seems to be japanese only :\

7. Plstic

Apr 21, 2010
    United States
    Milwaukee WI
    I've used from japan before for yahoo auctions and it seems like they let you buy from different websites too. http://www.fromjapan.co.jp/

8. Kippykip
    OP

Mar 30, 2013
  9. Plstic

Apr 21, 2010
    United States
    Milwaukee WI
    I'm not really sure what that does haha, but I think the console plugs into 21 pin RGB(not scart, same plug but it's wired differently in japan) and outputs to the capture card via VGA and outputs to the TV via the DIN-9 like on Sega Mega Drive model 1. I think it may be better asking someone on the shumps forums who actually owns it.

10. CosmoCortney

CosmoCortney The Hacker Furry

Apr 18, 2013
    Germany
    on the cool side of the pillow
    you could use a VGA to Component (YUV) adapter and use a device that is able to record YUV-input (f.e. Blackmagic intensity Pro, Blackmagic Intensite Pro Shuttle).
    or use an HDMI recording device (both Blackmagic devices could be used, or Hauppauge) and a VGA to HDMI converter (or a Component/YUV to HDMI converter with a VGA to YUV adapter).
    idk if there are Component/YUV recording devices by hauppauge.

11. Kippykip
    OP

Mar 30, 2013
    I found a few S-Video recorders which could work because the graphics card in there has DVI, VGA, And S-Video
    But I think I should use a hdmi recorder and get a VGA to HDMI adapter (And RCA to HDMI for ps1 and NES ;) )
    [​IMG]
    or something like this
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Just searched hdmi recorder and this is the first thing that came up
    [​IMG]
    http://www.mavromatic.com/2008/01/gefen-tv-hd-personal-video-recorder-record-from-hdmi-source/

Doh!

CosmoCortney likes this.