j e f f
OP
Trophies
Website
kippykip.com
XP
Country
Australia
I'm having trouble finding a capture card which records VGA output with audio out that records at least 1024x768
I'll be using this to record Windows 98/Dos games and such

Does anybody know any recorders?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is loopback not an option? Dosbox and virtualbox do good things these days.

Still there are some, they tend to come at a reasonable price for what they are (you can get a HDMI one with higher res for cheaper*) as they are something of a niche device. In consumer world it is probably going to be avermedia that do what you want, no idea about an Australian supplier but their darkcrystal range is likely to be it
http://solutions.avermedia.com/en/products/capture-cards

*to that end it might even be worth seeing if you can find one of the later AGP graphics cards that sports HDMI out.

Kippykip

j e f f
OP
Trophies
Website
kippykip.com
XP
Country
Australia
Dosbox is fine for dos games, however emulating Windows 9x can be a real pain setting up and most emulators don't support 3d with windows 98

Anyway the 98 Desktop has VGA/DVI/S-Video while the 98 Laptop only has VGA
When I said card I meant one of those recording boxes that write to a harddrive or output usb to a program on another pc
Not an actual pci card

like so:
LRE7FmS.png

Randamin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as I know there aren't any usb capture cards with a VGA input so that would mean having to compromise. In other words, converting the VGA signal to HDMI so it can be readily connected to any of the readily available capture cards. Whether these other capture cards can handle a resolution that isn't the standard 480p,720p,1080p is still to be seen but hopefully it won't be a problem.

Kippykip

j e f f
OP
Trophies
Website
kippykip.com
XP
Country
Australia

Plstic

Guru Meditation Error
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I'm not really sure what that does haha, but I think the console plugs into 21 pin RGB(not scart, same plug but it's wired differently in japan) and outputs to the capture card via VGA and outputs to the TV via the DIN-9 like on Sega Mega Drive model 1. I think it may be better asking someone on the shumps forums who actually owns it.

CosmoCortney

i snack raw pasta and chew lollipops
Trophies
Website
follow-the-white-rabbit.wtf
XP
Country
Germany
you could use a VGA to Component (YUV) adapter and use a device that is able to record YUV-input (f.e. Blackmagic intensity Pro, Blackmagic Intensite Pro Shuttle).
or use an HDMI recording device (both Blackmagic devices could be used, or Hauppauge) and a VGA to HDMI converter (or a Component/YUV to HDMI converter with a VGA to YUV adapter).
idk if there are Component/YUV recording devices by hauppauge.

Kippykip

j e f f
OP
Trophies
Website
kippykip.com
XP
Country
Australia
you could use a VGA to Component (YUV) adapter and use a device that is able to record YUV-input (f.e. Blackmagic intensity Pro, Blackmagic Intensite Pro Shuttle).
or use an HDMI recording device (both Blackmagic devices could be used, or Hauppauge) and a VGA to HDMI converter (or a Component/YUV to HDMI converter with a VGA to YUV adapter).
idk if there are Component/YUV recording devices by hauppauge.

I found a few S-Video recorders which could work because the graphics card in there has DVI, VGA, And S-Video
But I think I should use a hdmi recorder and get a VGA to HDMI adapter (And RCA to HDMI for ps1 and NES ;) )
VGA-With-Audio-To-HDMI-Converter-1.jpg

or something like this
hdmi-vga-rca-femlae-1.jpg
2012-08-28_142928_3_5_mm_to_rca.jpg

Just searched hdmi recorder and this is the first thing that came up
ext-hd-pvr.jpg

http://www.mavromatic.com/2008/01/gefen-tv-hd-personal-video-recorder-record-from-hdmi-source/

Doh!

Reactions: CosmoCortney

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte