DigitalDeviant

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hi I've done some research and it seems some people recommend between 30 and 60 gigs partition for Window 7. I'm inclined to choose 60 gigs.
What partition size do you use for Windows 7, what do you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

DigitalDeviant

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Would this partition be just for Windows 7, or will you be installing programs to it too? If the later, choose 60GB and if the former choose 30GB.

Good question, I suppose I wouldn't mind having the option to install programs on the partition so I think I'll go with 60 gigs.
Thanks for the quick response! Anyone else have an opinion on this or personal preference?

edit:

also I currently have win vista(I know wow) running on my lenovo ideapad y530(it came with the system years ago). I was wondering if you know
if the vista drivers will work on the win 7 or should I just install the win 7 drivers lenovo has for the ideapad y530? I figure I would back up my ideapad
drivers and re install them on win 7.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
No problem. My set up is a little odd, I'll admit, I have a 200GB partition for Windows and various little programs, a 250GB partition for other programs likes game installations and such, another 450GB Partition for Console games and Downloads, and another 500GB partition for Games, Music, and Videos lol. Oh and a 600GB partition for any Anime I finish and want to keep. Oh and a backup 500GB external.

DigitalDeviant

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
No problem. My set up is a little odd, I'll admit, I have a 200GB partition for Windows and various little programs, a 250GB partition for other programs likes game installations and such, another 450GB Partition for Console games and Downloads, and another 500GB partition for Games, Music, and Videos lol. Oh and a 600GB partition for any Anime I finish and want to keep. Oh and a backup 500GB external.

any thoughts on my questions above? Also would partitioning delete anything?

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
also I currently have win vista(I know wow) running on my lenovo ideapad y530(it came with the system years ago). I was wondering if you know
if the vista drivers will work on the win 7 or should I just install the win 7 drivers lenovo has for the ideapad y530? I figure I would back up my ideapad
drivers and re install them on win 7.
er, let windows 7 install drivers from windows update from you and just grab and install the graphics driver yourself (vista will work if theres not a win7 one), if there is any drivers missing that windows update didnt do, install vista ones.

Reactions: 1 person

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
As long as you have free space to partition, nothing would be deleted.

As for drivers, usually Vista drivers will work with Windows 7 but I would suggest installing the Windows 7 drivers if they're official because why not? Heh.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
O.o what's wrong with folders? I would hate to have so many partitions as you can never properly estimate the ratios that each partition needs, thus you end up with loads of wasted space.

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
If you're not going to install Linux, make the entire hard drive one giant NTFS partition, which will erase everything on it. Make sure you back up any Vista data you want to keep.

Most Vista drivers will work with Windows 7, but you should really check to see if Win7 drivers are available first.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
O.o what's wrong with folders? I would hate to have so many partitions as you can never properly estimate the ratios that each partition needs, thus you end up with loads of wasted space.
people like to have partitions if they have dual boots or just for to organize things. no need to move things if you want to reinstall an os. its a persons decision if they want to have a number of partitions for data, its not something to question.

DigitalDeviant

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
wow thanks for everyone advice and quick responses, I really appreciate it.

So in a nutshell I'll back up my data(doing that now via Acronis) partition 60 gigs for Win 7
Install Win 7 to that drive
download the win 7 drivers from Lenovo
ta da I'll finally be current in terms of os lol.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
prowler is exactly right. I have it set this way as I have tons of data and a lack of externals for backups. This way, if I ever wanted to remove Windows 7 or reinstall it for whatever reason, I won't lose any of my data that I might need/want. I also have like...3 different HDDs excluding the external, One I split into thirds and then the other 2 are just there.

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What are the pros of partitioning? I have XP, seven and eight on the same partition I don't understand the waste of space(unless you have too much)

AntiPhotonz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What are the pros of partitioning? I have XP, seven and eight on the same partition I don't understand the waste of space(unless you have too much)
How the fuck did you get 3 OSes (even worse, Windows OSes) on the same partition? I call bullshit.
It's true each OS needs its own partition unless some are virtual.

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
How the fuck did you get 3 OSes (even worse, Windows OSes) on the same partition? I call bullshit.

Hold on your horses my friend suprgmr. Technically I am only using 1 partition but windows seven and eight both support VHD install which does not waste space like a partition would do. Windows sees 2 partition but I am only using 1.

So? Whats the pros?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Windows has supported multiple installs on one partition since XP (and likely before).
You just need to tell it to use different base folders in that partition.
C:\Windows1
C:\AnotherWindows
C:\ShitISkipped2
Like that.

Anyways if things are on multiple partitions, wiping/moving one install without wiping the others is much easier.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I remember seeing the very first episode back in the day, and have watched every episode since. I used to set my VCR to record them even, shows how long ago.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just like any comedies really, and cartoons have always been a favorite of mine. Family guy, American Dad, Futurama, Cleveland Show, Simpsons - I like them all.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    South Park is great cause they always touch on relavent issues going on today, and make something funny out of it.
    +3
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa were you always up to date on the current events and issues of the time or were there issues that you first found out thru south park
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Most of the time yea I knew, I watch and read the news regularly, but sometimes the Hollywood BS stuff, like concerning actors slip by me. I don't follow most Hollywood BS (example: the Kardasians)
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa there were relevant issues before south park was made, that's why i think a south park prequel/spinoff would be great. Randy and his friends in their child hood
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, like them running in high school together, getting into stuff, and how they got hitched and had kids. And how the town of South Park was back then compared to now. That would be cool to see.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @salazarcosplay if they made a prequel, it would still be about current issues, cause it doesn't make sense to make it about stuff that happened 30 years ago that nobody cares about anymore
    it's too late
    the older south park episodes about particular issues usually age poorly since the topic is no longer relevant
    an exception is giant douche vs turd sandwich, that's always relevant :P
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was gone for like an hour and none of you thought to write or call pos
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    We knew you were going to Sonic to get lunch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sonics fast I would've been home in 10 mins
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Meet and greet with AncientBoi then?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That would've gone slow he's old
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sadly the person in question feels too young for his own good
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We don't question people
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    me neither, i just bash them
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: bored, guess i'll spread more democracy