Recommended USB stick speeds for Wupinstalled games?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Xirix, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Xirix
    OP

Xirix GBAtemp Regular

Jun 21, 2007
    I'm looking to try out putting games and such on a USB stick as I have been told it is faster than SD card loading, I don't want to get a HDD for this, probably just a 32 or 64 gig stick, what kind of read speed should I be looking for at least to make sure the games run nicely?

Also what should the stick be formatted to, or does it not matter?

Last edited by Xirix, Apr 4, 2017
  2. Felek666

Felek666 Demonically Uncontrollable

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    reddit.com/r/satania/
    Speed doesn't matter, most pendrives are slow as hell. [Still, they load games quickly]
    I don't suggest getting a pendrive unless you want to unplug it after you're done playing.
    [Pendrives are easily corrupting with Wii U because it does ALOT OF STUFF IN THE BACKGROUND...well, sorry for caps]
    Hm, every USB Storage device needs to be formatted to Wii U format which is unreadable by anything that isn't a Wii U.

3. KiiWii

KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    Pen drives work fine as long as you get decent brands.

4. H1B1Esquire

H1B1Esquire RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    I recommend buying a micro SD and X-in-one USB adapter.

5. AnonDragon

AnonDragon Member

Newcomer
    Jun 21, 2016
    Colombia
    Somewhere
    I've played games on two USB sticks, both of them working in a nice speed, but... Wii U has killed them already. Yes, USB sticks have limited life, so I'm going to buy myself a cheap HDD (of 128 or 256 GB) with the Y cable (already had another one, but as it is impossible to create a separate partition for Wii U's format... and I don't want to lose all my stuff).

So I'd personally suggest going for the HDD, because you never know when will USB sticks stop working (especially when saving data, I wouldn't like corrupt data)

6. H1B1Esquire

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    @AnonDragon
    How long did the sticks last and were they bought just for and solely used on Wii U?

7. Hayleia

Hayleia GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 26, 2015
    France
    And were they $10 sticks from Walmart or actual sticks from a reputable brand?
    Note, I am really asking, not making fun of anything. If you tell me they were from a reputable brand, I'll switch to HDDs...

8. AnonDragon

AnonDragon Member

Newcomer
    Jun 21, 2016
    Colombia
    Somewhere
    About two months each... and got them from a random street tech store (gift from an aunt). No idea of their brand (those with cute covers/shapes). I tested some other "brandless"/chinese and those died instantly or didn't even were recognized by the machine : P

Last edited by AnonDragon, Apr 5, 2017
    Hayleia likes this.
  9. Felek666

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    reddit.com/r/satania/
    I myself used my Kingston 32GB USB Stick [Or it was something like 8-16GB].
    It died in 2-4months because i always had it inserted into my Wii U.

Hayleia likes this.
  10. Hielkenator

Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 7, 2010
    Netherlands
    Same here various brands, mainly used for game testing, before adding them to my hdd ( nothing worde than to redo a full wiiu hdd )

Brands were sandisk 32 GB and 64 GB.

Kingston 32 GB, and a samsung 16 GB.

All have been corrupted beyond repair.

My cheap 1 tb laptop hadd with a cheap sata to usb cable flawelessly for as long as I have usb loading on Wiiu

USB stick tend to get very hot.....

11. KiiWii

KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    I have had a Kingston 16gb plugged into my 8GB WIIU since wii fit U digital demo came out (years ago) used it almost every day for months and then recently formatted it for use with BOTW when it leaked in Feb.

I could be wrong here, or just very fortunate, (and I'm probably hexing myself) but I haven't experienced any heating or issues and I have 120+ hrs on BOTW now....

12. Felek666

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    reddit.com/r/satania/
    Bruh, mine just shat itself after having it plugged into my Wii U for 2 months :wacko:

KiiWii likes this.
  13. Xirix
    OP

Xirix GBAtemp Regular

Jun 21, 2007
    Hmm, perhaps I'll try a small capacity HDD with a Y Cable then, I tried one of the USB sticks I had just lowing around and it didn't work because of a low power error.

14. H1B1Esquire

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    I'm going to name that as the culprit. I guess those kinds of drives are still okay to make literal backups to copy data in emergencies.....but probably only save data or smol games.

15. EclipseSin

EclipseSin FullMental Trollemist

Apr 1, 2015
    United States
    Vegeta's Hyrule
    I'm with you. Real name brand products do not die so quickly unless you get a dud. I have a 256MB pen drive that is ancient as fuck and it is still working at 20MB/s as it always has. Yea, that's slow, but it's from 2004, possibly manufactured before that and still works. Has been used for various projects, ps3 hacking, ps2 launchelf shit, arduino/teensy projects...

KiiWii likes this.