Hardware Recommended Thermal Paste for CECH-2001A?

Reaga

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Grabbing a system off ebay, I doubt it's been properly cleaned. Will be planning to use it for CFW and I know from my old one the fan gets very loud when this model runs WebMan/MultiMan. I've heard applying a better thermal paste and a decent dusting of the inside can drop the running temp by as much as 20 degrees in some extreme cases and mitigate or even temporarily eliminate the fan issue.

Just want to know what people recommend for this, and any tips on use besides just apply evenly to processors. While this won't be my first time taking this model apart as I've replaced my own power supply, it will be my first time touching the motherboard beyond dusting. I know the application looks simple enough or else I wouldn't be trusting myself with this.

zfreeman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With CFW, you will be able to set the fan speed to a constant setting. Setting it to 65C is an appropriate choice.

While it will help to clean and repaste the top of the IHS plates, if the temps start creeping above 70-75C, the processor dies underneath the IHS plates should be delidded to also be repasted.

Don't use conductive/liquid metal paste as the few degrees difference isn't worth the additional concerns.

Reaga

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With CFW, you will be able to set the fan speed to a constant setting. Setting it to 65C is an appropriate choice.

While it will help to clean and repaste the top of the IHS plates, if the temps start creeping above 70-75C, the processor dies underneath the IHS plates should be delidded to also be repasted.

Don't use conductive/liquid metal paste as the few degrees difference isn't worth the additional concerns.

Recommended brands for the paste?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Good.