Recommended CFW for BC PS3(s) ?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by codezer0, Aug 28, 2014.

1. codezer0
    OP

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    Here's the skinny.
    • CECHA, 4.46.1 rebug, working BD drive, PSN banned :nayps3:
    • CECHB, 4.46.1 rebug noBD, dead BD drive, not banned :hrth: Not been online for a while either.
    On the side, I also have a modchipped PS2. However, I've one simple goal, at least with the one with the working BD drive.

I've a bunch of PS1 and PS2 backups still on disc. Ideally, if it is possible to then put these in the PS3 and play them the same way I could on my PS2, I could get all the benefits of the PS3, and for one it won't even matter if the system in question were banned. Yes, I get that ISO loading is more popular, but I simply don't have the means to get enough storage to archive all of those yet. So until then, disc backup compatibility is a must. I understand the cobra-based CFW's supposedly can... so which would be the most capable? Also please keep in mind, that since nobody wants to make a nand flasher for these systems, it's not like I am in a position to test drive some alpha/incomplete build either.

So, with that in mind, what would be my best choice for each/both/either of the PS3's in question?

2. gunner007

gunner007 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    Sorry I missed this for so long.

If you have a backwards compatible unit, most Cobra releases (habib's and rogero) will play CD-R/DVD-R PSX/PS2 discs. I believe 4.46 works as well, but for sure Habib 4.55 v1.03 Cobra will do what you want.

Though with > 4.50 releases, for BC consoles you need to connect via wire first then press PS button, then you can disconnect the cable. Non_BC consoles require the cable to be in at all times. Hence why I just stick with 4.46 most of the time.

From the notes:

Playing PSX backups in CD-R:

"CFW 4.55 Mixed with Cobra 7.00" allows PSX backups in CD-R discs to be transparently started from XMB without the need of multiMAN (mmCM mode)

Playing PS2 backups in CD-R/DVD+-R:

"CFW 4.55 Mixed with Cobra 7.00" allows PS2 backups in CD-R/DVD+-R discs to be transparently started from XMB without the need ofmultiMAN (mmCM mode)
    However, there is no support for optical discs in ps2_netemu (None BC console) but BC consoles will still use their respetive emulators (ps2_emu, ps2_gxemu), which have much better compatibilty and also support optical discs, original or backup but these backups must be burn from an iso with a mds file. Without an appropiated mds file describing layer break, dual layer backups won’t work.

3. codezer0
    OP

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    So what about that Rebug Cobra 4.46? Is that a good choice for the system(s) ?

4. gunner007

gunner007 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    Id try Rogero 4.46. I'm not sure the compatibility on debug but it was a Hacked up firmware that never really got everythingn fixed. Several of the cobra functions are mangled (psp ISO) and I think there were some ps2 incompat

5. codezer0
    OP

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    Well, I decided to give it a try since I already had it. Rebug 4.46 unofficial Cobra

Popped in a PS1 CD-R... recognized immediately.
    Popped in a PS2 DVD±R, it worked.
    Even was able to play a PAL PS2 game on the PS3 with no problem.

I'm duly impressed... and this has officially fucktoupled my game library in size. :D

Now the most impressive thing is... after so many busted playstations, this means my modchipped PlayStation2 has actually survived to retirement! :O