Recommend me a mouse or trackball that does not break.

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by trumpet-205, Feb 17, 2014.

1. trumpet-205
    OP

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    As titled. I'm a trackball user, however I'm fed up with the fact that most mouse and trackball all have their left micro-switch break so easily.

I'd like to think that I'm not a heavy clicker (I'd use controller whenever possible, and I don't do FPS game). My Kensington Trackball left micro-switch just went out, after having it for 8 months. Before that a Logitech wired trackball and M570, all died of faulty left micro-switch.

So I'm looking for a mouse or a trackball that has durable micro-switch. Preferably trackball but given limited selection on trackball I'm open to regular mouse too. I could use MouseKey but given how inaccurate it is, it is not good enough.

2. RandomOddness

RandomOddness GBAtemp Regular

Sep 16, 2010
    Sadly all micro-switches have a limited life span, usually of between 5million and 10million clicks, in all honestly the most cost effective measure is to buy multiple 10M omron micro-switches if compatible and replace them yourself as needed or have someone who you know can solder well do it for you which completely removes the need to buy a new trackball or mouse each time at a fraction of the price.

3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Yeah I am presently suffering a mouse on the way out myself. What RandomOddness said though, some claim they have more durable switches but everything I have seen there says same con as monster cables. Done right though you can usually get a bag of the things from a supplier for not a lot (plus shipping) and from there it is often just through hole soldering.

Depending upon what you are doing though I do have to mention there are lots of nice input peripherals
    The obvious one for most are drawing tablets
    After this there are CAD/3d modelling tools like http://www.3dconnexion.com/products/spacenavigator.html
    If you are more video and audio editing there is stuff there as well.

Other than games I often find there is a common reason for mouse failure like this and those sorts of devices will help lessen the strain on the mouse. With the added bonus of often being good for the task.