Recommend Good Books

Nex_WhatToDo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I was wondering if you could recommend me some good books i might enjoy.
I enjoy books like the discworld series by terry pratchett and his dark materials by phillip pullman (and yes i ready them way b4 the sucky movie lol)

fischju

Rehabilitated Jaywalker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So, sci-fi....
If you like series, Dune is awesome. Try William Gibson's Sprawl trilogy. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep is also a classic sci-fi novel.

moozxy

hamboning
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The Raw Shark Texts by Steven Hall. Described as the bastard love-child of The Matrix and The Da Vinci Code. It's excellent.

Moots

The Incredible Sulk
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
YEAHHHH a fellow pratchett fan (If I am not mistaken I have now read the entire discworld series.) Anything with the night watch is amazing. Going Postal and Making Money are possibly the 2 best discworld novels to date (although I generally say that about any discworld novel after re reading it), Moist Von Lipwig is a spectacular character. Night Watch is also awsome the slight darkness of the novel was fabulous. I'd also suggest picking up "the art of discworld, it is awesome to see the likes of Nobby Nobbs in illustrated form.

As for novels you may enjoy. Tom Holt is another writer like pratchett, not as good but also does Fantasy Satire.

I also highly suggest obviously the hitchhiker's guide trilogy in five parts, and a series called red dwarf (sci fi satire) all amazing british humour so they share a similar feel to pratchett.

I'd suggest visiting TOR(fantasy publisher) book's website as they are giving away 5 free ebooks (1 a week). They have already sent me the link for the frst 3 so I don't know if you can retro actively get the first 2.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Search up the author Ted Dekker. He writes thrillers that keep me up till 2 or 3 in the morning.
My favorites are the trilogy of Black, Red, and White.

anime_junkie

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Fantasy, eh? Go read A Song of Ice and Fire and Malazan. Also, seconding Dune and Hitchhiker's Guide, great series.

If you want an awesome and long series, check out The Destroyer. It's really cool.

JPH

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I like Fantasy books too!
smile.gif

Check out the Redwall books. They're about anthropomorphic animals with weapons and such, what's better than that?

Redwall.Org

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
Trophies
XP
Country
I you like Sci Fi, I would recommend the Star Wars Thrawn Trilogy, is the story right after the episode 6, I'm reading the second one right now, good stuff.
Off course, they are really old, they were written before the new trilogy =)

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
"Planet of Adventure"
series of four science fiction novels by Jack Vance (my favorite author, has written many award winning stories too).

My all time favourite book.

edit: oh and i just noticed the quick edit functions etc, looking good temp!

kikuchiyo

大阪に生まれた男
Trophies
Website
coin-battle.com
XP
Country
United States
Just some random suggestions:

Life of Pi:
My boss gave me his copy a few years ago. It's an amazingly beautiful book and with my interests in religion, science, and South Asia/Japan appealed to me on a wide variety of levels.

The Complete Sherlock Holmes:
The modern detective is almost totally based on Holmes. Even shows like Monk and Psych are obvious homages.

Lord of the Rings:
Obvious, but my favorite book. If you liked Discworld and Dark Materials it might be interesting to see some of where they got their inspiration.

I haven't read his stuff yet, but Ian Holmes comes highly recommended.

And if you don't mind comic books, I think you will find in Neil Gaiman's the Sandman series a beautiful literary depth that might appeal to you.

Dylaan

Trophies
XP
Country
Anything by Matthew Reilly is definitely worth a read, especially if your into the Action/Thriller type stuff. He's Australian too!
tongue.gif
Best bet is probably 'Ice Station' or 'Scarecrow', both great books! Wikipedia

Redwall series mentioned before is good too, but completely different style of writing, and contains some rather difficult to decipher grammar. (Not really, but almost impossible to read aloud).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    I can't believe you got me with that
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I haven't been gaming for such a long time. Been mostly busy with sleep, hardware tinkering and checking GBAtemp frequently.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope you've had a good morning.
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl: