Recomendations?

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by Yanazake, Mar 20, 2010.

Mar 20, 2010

Recomendations? by Yanazake at 6:41 PM (3,242 Views / 0 Likes) 29 replies

1. Yanazake
    OP

Member Yanazake GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    So... Birth By Sleep is coming along by Summer...

Well, while waiting for it, I'm looking for other interesting games to ease my hunger for fantasy action violence ¦3

So, anything that might be interesting along this line of thought? I'm already looking for "Prinny: Can I has cheezburguer be the hero?"

I'm with my psp for about nearly 2 months, so I still don't know much about the games... Sci-Fi also works.

[the new dubbing of Star Ocean 2 is just terrible! õ_ó I'm seriously thinking about looking for an undub version or porting the old psx game to play on the psp...]

2. I2aven's_Sag

Member I2aven's_Sag GBATemp Otaku

United States
    Well, you put down Prinny; so there are the 2 Disgaea games

Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness, Disgaea 2: Dark Hero days
    Jeanne D'arc > Similar JRPG > Strategy game etc.
    Castlevania Symphony of the Night also seems like a good option.
    NES/SNES Earthbound/Chrono Trigger/Final Fantasy III(VI) (Emulation).
    Parasite Eve 1 & 2 are worth looking into as well, (for a bit of a different fix)(PSX-PSP).
    Grandia (PSX-PSP). /// Lunar Silver Star Story (PSP-Port)
    Blazblue Portable could be fairly fun as well (for a fighter fix).

3. Yanazake
    OP

Brazil
    THo Parasite eve [almost wrote "eevee" D:] seems a bit too resident evil/silent hill like to me, I probably won't even think about it :/ Not much into the kind of ugly aliens or monsters trying to eat me alive... or dead.

Never tried Castlevania, and so many people talk about this series... [just like Final Fantasy, that is. And I never gave a damn to it until Advent Children appeared and Dissidia was released.] Might give it a real try.

I had Disgaea 2 for PS2, and it was strategy-like. Besides Namco X Capcom, Grim Grimoire and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, the type doesn't seem to tickle my interest too much : gotta try again!

Emulation... Not now, tnx.

Now, about that Jeanne D'Arc... Wasn't there a PS2 game with that title? I thought it was an action game. :wtf:

4. Lily

Former Staff Lily One Scary Lady

Canada
    Jeanne D'Arc is a strategy RPG on PSP. A lot of people say it's a good game, but I really don't like strategy RPGs so I couldn't give you a fair opinion.

5. Yanazake
    OP

Brazil
    Meh, not much into strategy... I really need action/adventure/fantasy, and besides Kingdom Hearts, the theme I can basically think of is "Zelda".

Along these lines, there were Alundra 1 and 2 for PSX and Cruzader of Centy/Soleil for Genesis. I already have both, and will try to finish 'em someday...

6. CrashmanX

Member CrashmanX Current project: SD Gundam G Generation Overworld

United States
    Are you looking for an RPG or a Real Time Game? If your looking for Real Time I suggest Monster Hunter, tis a great PSP game easily. If you want an RPG I suggest the Super Robot Wars Games, Mecha and Turn based. Not a whole lot more you could ask for.

7. beegee7730

Banned beegee7730 ITS PAAFEKUTO!

United Kingdom
    CRISIS CORE.
    Seriously.

8. Zerousen

Member Zerousen 【=◈︿◈=】

United States
    I heard You could preorder Birth By Sleep at Gamestop and it ships on.....HOLY CRAP DECEMBER 31!!!!

9. CrashmanX

Member CrashmanX Current project: SD Gundam G Generation Overworld

United States
    No not seriously. Not that great of a game. Not a big FF fan myself but Dissidia seemed to be one of the best in a while.

10. I2aven's_Sag

Member I2aven's_Sag GBATemp Otaku

United States
    I have Crisis Core, it's a decent game, nothing ground-breaking, but decent.

Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross (PSX) are great fantasy RPG's as well.

Final Fantasy VI VII are arguably the two best Final Fantasy's according to some (both PSX)
    *I'd go for VI > VII personally, having played through 90% of VII.

Dissidia is something to look into if your looking for a good fighter.
    Blazblue is good as well, I tried it, but I could never really get used to the controls. (not really used to arcade stuff).
    Tekken 6 / Soul Caliber IV are worth looking into as well, I believe they both have online play too.

Definitely try Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, it's a title I keep returning to...

If you haven't played Golden Sun 1 and 2 for the GBA, then I reccomend that you grab VBA for the PC and have a go at both
    they fit nearly all of your categories except they're not really "Zelda" games, but they have some awesome puzzles, graphics
    and turn based combat.

Front Mission III is another mecha turn based along the Super Robot franchise.

Edit: well, Brave Fencer Musashi (PSX) might be good for you, look it up, it only strikes me vaguely, need to play it myself.

11. ragingchaosgod

Member ragingchaosgod JUBILEUS QAAL OVOF VOMSARG

Philippines
    Phantasy Star Portable's good for an ARPG fix.

12. Teny

Member Teny GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Crisis Core, Star Ocean (first and second). and Dissidia (not fully because of the additional voice in the US version) have been undubbed. Mugi (I think) undubbed Crisis Core, while Oroboro undubbed both Star Oceans, not sure who did Dissidia though. They are on the net somewhere.

You can try Monster Hunter. Pretty challenging game, but if you get the hang of it, it'll be fun. Unless you don't like farming (hunting the same monster multiple times to get the items you need for your armor and/or weapon).

I could recommend more games, but I don't feel like looking through my PSP library.

13. Jolan

Member Jolan Unlimited Bear Works

Bulgaria
    Yo, beegee7730, I'm really happy for you, and Imma let you finish, but Dissidia is the best FF game on the PSP.

Nothing other than Monster Hunter Freedom United or FF Dissidia has taken 300+ hours of my life and left me still wanting to play it. On the PSP, at least.

14. Yanazake
    OP

Brazil
    Lessee... a good part of the games are turn-based...

Monster hunter IS interesting, but I don't have anyone to play with, and yes, farming IS boring. I try to play it now and then, but i'm advancing very slowly. Also, there's little to no plot in there, just hunting.

Last time I saw phantasy star, it looked like a turn-based system. I might have to look again into it...

Crisis core is still basically turn-based, since you can't really do much more than select an attack and wait for it to finish to be able to do another one.

I'll look for the undubed version of Star Ocean 2, because the new voices are LAME... Either that or I'd play the PSX version. Better dig up the undub now

15. Jolan

Bulgaria
    WAT.
    I must be playing this wrong then, because in my game, I inputted commands in real time, could cancel attacks by dodging and never took turns with the enemy.

16. Yanazake
    OP

Brazil
    I didn't know that, but yes, I played the right game, the one with that black haired guy~ I forgot his name, since I'm not a real fan of Final Fantasy... [I just know he'll be called "Terra" on Birth by sleep, or sometihng like that] But really, I thought the system would be better, it's still kinda motion breaking for me.

17. beegee7730

Banned beegee7730 ITS PAAFEKUTO!

United Kingdom
    Why can't people see that Dissidia sucked?

18. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    Nope.
    It's too slow and way too easy.
    Seriously, you could play it with one hand.
    I've only played a bit of PSP2, but that seems harder than PSP.

They need to make Phantasy Star series more harder like PSO.

19. Jolan

Bulgaria
    Maybe because it, you know, didn't? Sure it made me rage a few times, but nothing more than that.

20. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    Whether Dissidia sucks or not is a matter of personal opinion, you'll find as many people that love it than you'll find people that distinctly hate it. I, for one, really liked it. Sometimes it was annoying because the controls weren't too good, but I still kept playing.