Hacking Really weird Wiikey issue with NTSC-J

hanarecca

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I e-mailed wiikey and hopefully I get an answer on this situation, I don't think its a defect since everything else loads up. Meh...maybe it is ; ; this sucks though

hanarecca

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UPDATE: I took the wiikey out, replaced all the wires and reinstalled the modchip. System still does not play NTSC-J systems on my US wii. Setup CD isn't writing itself to the chip >< I hope I didn't get a clone.

xiguo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right now it's not really a problem because I can just patch the games. But I'm afraid of not being able to update the chip in the future.

Edster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right now it's not really a problem because I can just patch the games. But I'm afraid of not being able to update the chip in the future.

I think I am having the same problem you mentioned. I go to the the setup disc (US). I select Region Free. I select Save settings and wait for it to come back to the menu. I restart and go back to the settings and it says off. Now I set it again, reboot, load my Wing Island (J) game and it just keeps spinning. Never loads. All US games work fine. I have not tried patching it yet but I bet that will work.

I bought mine from Foundmy.com and there is no way this is a clone.

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if it happened on wing island, but some pal/japanese games I inserted keeps spinning (icon says it is) and then I select the channel and then it asks to update my wii, I let it update and then the game shows up. Certain games need certain updates. And also, they should sticky this information so not everyone asks the same question:

Whenever you insert the wiikey configuration disc, the standard display is the region free setting being OFF, no matter if it's actually on or not. It's a software interface that controls a dip switch if you want to think of it that way. Even if you select on now and save, ur wiikey already had the option as on and it'll just update itself to be on yet again.

Perplexer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't believe the setup disc reads the current chip settings; what displays on-screen is the default and just allows you to make changes and save them to the chip.

For example, my Wiikey is configured for region-free=ON. If I were to boot the setup disc, it would probably say region free=OFF. I could test this when I get home from work.

[Edit] Doh, tama_mog wrote the exact same thing before I managed to post this message
smile.gif

Edster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if it happened on wing island, but some pal/japanese games I inserted keeps spinning (icon says it is) and then I select the channel and then it asks to update my wii, I let it update and then the game shows up. Certain games need certain updates. And also, they should sticky this information so not everyone asks the same question:

Whenever you insert the wiikey configuration disc, the standard display is the region free setting being OFF, no matter if it's actually on or not. It's a software interface that controls a dip switch if you want to think of it that way. Even if you select on now and save, ur wiikey already had the option as on and it'll just update itself to be on yet again.

That makes sense. Too bad though, it would be nice to know the setting was written properly.

There was an update I need to take for SSX. Once taken it played np. This is not the case for Wing Island. If I click on the channel it says the disc cannot be read. This is the second rip I have downloaded. Both do the same thing. Maybe both rips are bad, possibly. I have no other way to test it.

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
interesting, wing island works perfectly for me (see my mini-review) and I don't remember updating for SSX Blur....probably updated through all the other games I tested heh.

hanarecca

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still find it weird that the system dosn't recognize the NTSC-J games unless they are patched, the setup disk says

Saving Setting.... DONE

I still havn't heard back from Wiikey.cn, I hope they e-mail me back soon and confirm that its a bad chip. I cant understand how the chip is defective if it boots up all NTSCU disks but not NTSCJ, it shouldn't work at all if it was damaged. /sigh

Edster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still find it weird that the system dosn't recognize the NTSC-J games unless they are patched, the setup disk says

Saving Setting.... DONE

I still havn't heard back from Wiikey.cn, I hope they e-mail me back soon and confirm that its a bad chip. I cant understand how the chip is defective if it boots up all NTSCU disks but not NTSCJ, it shouldn't work at all if it was damaged. /sigh

Please post their response if/when you hear back from them. I would like to understand what is going on as well.

I wish there was a way to see the settings on the Wiikey.

Can anyone confirm if, they set their region OFF, then insert a (J) game. Does it just spin and finally give a read error, or does it actually state that the disc is for the wrong region.

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Can verify when I insert the wii config 1.0 disc, it says OFF on region free in configuation. I know that I already set it to ON before so I just shut the system down. Insert a Japanese game to test (GI Jockey) and loads up and plays perfectly. Please see this review I did for compatibility so far that I've discovered:

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=46479

The games that don't work doesn't seem like a "display" issue to me, it freezes the whole system....but you can still see it in the channel, AKA the title graphics. Just when you actually run the game it locks up the wii.

xiguo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am using version 1.1.

BTW, the games that don't work (even when patched), like Crayon Shin Chan , do freeze up the whole system even though the title screen shows up. But when I put in an unpatched (J) game, like Cooking Mama, it just shows a question mark and read error.

Edster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you all using version 1.1 of the setup disc? I had no problems updating with 1.1

I just burned 1.1. Loaded it and used the Reset button to select region Free. Saved and then tried to boot Wing Island. No go it just shows the logo and a spinning disc.

I patced the ISO, burned it and it runs fine.

There must a problem with my WiiKey and region Free setttings.

hanarecca

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have used both Setup CD's and still it dosn't do anything >< I hope this is a common issue and there will be a quick fix for it.

Lazycus

Rotten
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I would go back and check continuity on the 'upgrade' point on the Wiikey. I think that would be point '3' on the Wiikey Installation Guide. Check it from the DVD board to the Wiikey, check it from the point on the Wiikey to the leg of the Wiikey chip, and from the leg of the Wiikey chip to the DVD board.

One other theory: maybe it's not getting enough power to rewrite the chip so it's never updating but it has enough power to enable basic functionality of the chip? I don't know if the update software can actually read back the info to confirm that it's been updated, or if it just says 'DONE' when it's finished sending the info. Maybe you can ask the WiiKey team about that before you return it.

xiguo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would go back and check continuity on the 'upgrade' point on the Wiikey. I think that would be point '3' on the Wiikey Installation Guide. Check it from the DVD board to the Wiikey, check it from the point on the Wiikey to the leg of the Wiikey chip, and from the leg of the Wiikey chip to the DVD board.

I don't know about the others, but I installed mine via quicksolder. I don't think there's a continuity problem because there's one big gob of solder over the three regions you mentioned (Yes, I did a really ugly job, so the problem could very well be due to a poor install...)

One other theory: maybe it's not getting enough power to rewrite the chip so it's never updating but it has enough power to enable basic functionality of the chip? I don't know if the update software can actually read back the info to confirm that it's been updated, or if it just says 'DONE' when it's finished sending the info. Maybe you can ask the WiiKey team about that before you return it.

Don't know about the OP, but IMO this problem is not severe enough to make me want to return the Wiikey. The (J) games still work perfectly if they're patched. Hopefully someone will be able to find the source of the problem though.

Edster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did the wire install. A very neat job if I must so so myself. I really don't think it is a connecton issue.

It's not a big problem for me either unless an important upate comes out and I cannot take the update.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: You snooze you don't go mental