Homebrew Real-Time-Strategy Game on DS!

AAcrazyman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey so I just got done playing Lego Battles. (I know what you're thinking... but Lego games can be hardcore too!
tongue.gif
)
I want to tell yall.... that was one fun game! I originally found it by searching for a good age of empires like RTS on the DS....
but for some strange reason, there was absolutely none... except for Lego Battles.

Now to get to the meat of the matter... Lego Battles was a good start to a RTS on the DS.... but it's not nearly as good as Age of Empires 2, for example.
That being said, I am looking to form a team for the purpose of porting or creating a great RTS for the DS.
Now Ive also played the homebrew "A Touch of War," and it is good, but it's buggy and doesn't have nearly enough features!
I am talking about creating or porting a full blown RTS like Age of Empires 2 or something yall! CMON THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!

If you're interested in joining the team or have any suggestions or comments just post em here!

Also, what RTS game you you most like to see ported?
1. Age of Empires 2
or
2. Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds
both are basically the same game (they both run on the same engine) but different skins.

fearofshorts

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, the homebrew RTS is called 'A Touch of War', and he mentioned it in his post.
However, there are a couple of RTS's for the DS- Robocalypse and Command and Destroy. (Robocalypse is great, Command and Destroy is good but uses password saves
mad.gif
)
Also try YS Strategy, Star Trek: Tactical Assult and (possibly) Lock's Quest. Though that last one is more of a Tower Defense combined with an RPG and a RTS. Oh! And I think (I haven't played it in AGES) Anno 1701 (get the new one, it's better) is real-time. But it doesn't have much combat.

AAcrazyman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yea starlite was never completed though.... it barely even works!
I haven't played Robocalypse, but I know it doesn't have near the depth of AoE!

Doesn't anybody want to see AoE on DS?
gbasp.gif

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
AAcrazyman said:
yea starlite was never completed though.... it barely even works!
I haven't played Robocalypse, but I know it doesn't have near the depth of AoE!

Doesn't anybody want to see AoE on DS?
gbasp.gif
There IS a AoE for the DS.

Also, I suggest you try Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings, it's a really solid RTS and, to be honest, it's the best RTS I've ever played. Except for Starcraft of course.

AAcrazyman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ive played FF: Revenant Wings... it was good... but I enjoy building my empire!
AoE is already for the DS... But it's not an RTS!... DUH!
I want to make like the full Age of Empires 2 for the DS! Does anybody want to help?

AAcrazyman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anybody know if it would be possible to port Age of Empires 2 to DS?
And If there would be a ram problem what if you use a ram expansion pack, like the EZ-Flash 3-1+?

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
AAcrazyman said:
And If there would be a ram problem what if you use a ram expansion pack, like the EZ-Flash 3-1+?
No.

geoflcl said:
QUOTE(Hoverlord Nadrian @ Feb 28 2010, 09:17 AM) There IS a AoE for the DS.

But it's not the Age of Empires we all know and love. It's more turn-based than anything.
So what, it's still called Age of Empires?
tongue.gif

J/k.
biggrin.gif

AAcrazyman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hoverlord Nadrian said:
AAcrazyman said:
No.

Is that a "No, its not possible." or a "No, no one knows if it would be possible."?
huh.gif

Dangy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I tried Lego Battles, and Robopocalypse or whatever, and I gotta say Lego Battles had a pretty good WC3 feeling too it, and I'm pretty sure there are like six different races if you get into the games.

Scrunt

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Dangy said:
So, I tried Lego Battles, and Robopocalypse or whatever, and I gotta say Lego Battles had a pretty good WC3 feeling too it, and I'm pretty sure there are like six different races if you get into the games.

Yeah the Lego RTS is surprisingly well made, and much deeper than you would think when you get into it.
Probably the best RTS on the DS in my opinion.

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
i would very much like to see Starcraft on the DS, but if you wanna port something, why not go baby steps and start with something simpler at first? something like Dune, Command & Conquer, KKND, or Warcraft I or II? I mean, they're all sprite-based, relatively simple animation, gameplay is solid enough too. you would have to definitely put a population cap there (something similar to Battle Realms) that would limit the number of units (per map), especially Warcraft II and Command & Conquer (they're both notoriously fast to start, but gets sluggish mid to end game).

Zane

Ace Wizard
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Age of Empired 1 thank you, it's way better then the second one, and it's probably easier to port over to the DS if anything.

But yeah, i'd say C&C or Dune or something like that would be a good starting stone.

fearofshorts

Trophies
XP
Country
Ok people: reality check time.
GAMES CANNOT BE PORTED UNLESS THEY ARE OPEN-SOURCE.
Open-source is not the same as free.
No popular game (except the quake and doom engines) have gone open-source for many years.
Therefore: AoE, Warcraft, Command and Conquer, Red Alert etc. CANNOT BE PORTED!

They can be cloned (remade) but this takes a VERY long time (think 5-6 years and a dedicated team) and will never be done for a specific console.
If you want a big-name game on the DS (that won't run under DSx86 ie: anything that uses windows or a Pentium processor) it must be a game for which someone else has already cloned.
For example- Red Alert has two open-source clones of its engine in the works (and they have been in the works for several years so far) that are open-source. Now, if these open-source engines become complete enough then you might have a chance of someone porting it to the DS.

Otherwise- no.

Also, don't bother mentioning virtualization: the DS uses an ARM processor, PCs use x86s. There is no way for you to virtualize an operating system based on another type of processor.

And finally-
To clone a game, it basically has to be remade. This means that a small group of unpaid, semi-motivated people on the internet would need to all create something which took a large development team of between 20 and 40 people several years to do working full-time on it. Now do you see just why it gets at me when people say that it should "be easy to port game X"?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-