Hacking real gamecube backup loader discussion

Forsaekn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ppc_gba said:
Apparently when rebooting the system menu using the custom ios, the gc backup is readable, however it causes a crash (black error screen saying remove the disc and restart) when the menu goes to read it, I think possibly because it doesn't have a banner or is missing something else.
You know, I've been trying to figure out why putting in a retail wii game when the system menu is reloaded with cIOS does the exact same thing. Backups will display the banner and cause no problems (they obviously just won't launch), and yet legitimate discs crash the system menu. Wiigator, any thoughts as to why this happens? I've nearly completed modifying the system menu's disc channel to boot backups, but it will be useless if retail games lock it up anyways.

Fors

WiiGator

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Forsaekn said:
ppc_gba said:
Apparently when rebooting the system menu using the custom ios, the gc backup is readable, however it causes a crash (black error screen saying remove the disc and restart) when the menu goes to read it, I think possibly because it doesn't have a banner or is missing something else.
You know, I've been trying to figure out why putting in a retail wii game when the system menu is reloaded with cIOS does the exact same thing. Backups will display the banner and cause no problems (they obviously just won't launch), and yet legitimate discs crash the system menu. Wiigator, any thoughts as to why this happens? I've nearly completed modifying the system menu's disc channel to boot backups, but it will be useless if retail games lock it up anyways.

Fors

I've already fixed the Wii mode problems in Backup Launcher 0.3 gamma for Wii and GC discs (This doesn't mean that it starts a GC discs, it just reboots, because the PPC part of MIOS use the 0xA8 command).

JoeyGennaro

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From WiiGator's last comment it doesn't sound like he is even concentrating on making gamecube games load. This is too bad because this is a major feature that I would like to be implemented. Anybody else think that's what i sounded like?

bootsector

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Backup Launcher 0.4 + GC Backups support FTW!
biggrin.gif

muzz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd rather load iso file from SD front without having using GCBooter/SDLoad combo. Can that be done now that there is SDHC support, I could fit more of my GC backups and then some on say a 16GB card and not have to burn DVDs, you only get to put maybe 4 games on a single layer DVD,. The less I have to get up off my lazy a-- to do things the happier I am, the more bedsores the better.

kashin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Trolly said:
GC disc loading would be awesome, but first we need 100% Wii support really.
I'd sure play a few GC games if he gets this working, but I don't think many people are hugely bothered.
Kudos to WiiGator whatever he does
smile.gif

Ofcourse noone would be ''Hugely bothered'', we have no right whatsoever to complain.
But i would rather be able to play some gamecube games than most of the wii games, the gamecube already has a huge library of awesome games (Just like the PS2), and most wii games are a huge let-down for me. Thankfully there's a few awesome games out there that keep me on my toes (Fire Emblem, SSBB, Disaster, ToS etc etc).

But i'm guessing it wont be much longer before we get to drool over some teasing screenshots anyway xP

JoeyGennaro

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not many people are replying to this subject anymore and I'm seriously disappointed. I would like some real interest from some of the major coders who are working on the loaders to seriously implement this function soon. Anybody still here?

requiem4d

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Not many people are replying to this subject anymore and I'm seriously disappointed. I would like some real interest from some of the major coders who are working on the loaders to seriously implement this function soon. Anybody still here?

We would love to implement this, myself especially. My wii's drive doesn't "grab" the small discs anymore, and originals will only play if they're inserted PERFECTLY... I'd like to be able to backup my discs and burn them on full-size dvds. Right now, though, this has to take a backseat to some of the more important things that we're doing with IOS.

Also, I'm getting highly discouraged by the sheer volume of piracy-related posts / emails / questions I'm receiving. Someone should have the pirates "keelhauled" before they kill homebrew altogether.

Yarr. Keelhauled.

DarkLG

Wow One Shiny Ribbon!!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wait for the wii backup loader to have 100% compatibility then they'll start work on a gamecube backup launcher.

ThatOtherPerson

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
thatotherdev.com
XP
Country
Canada
I would actually prefer even a imperfect GC backuploader over a Wii backuploader with improved compatibility. Wiigator's backuploader 0.3 beta worked amazingly well and gamma has been flawless for me. Scrolling through the compatibility wiki there are apparently games that still have problems but they are a very small minority and could very well just be mostly (if not entirely) the result of the wiki not being completely updated since gamma version was released. It would be nice if all game backups could be played from the disc channel rather then just 1:1 copies (all of mine are scrubbed) but its not that big of a inconvenience to load up the homebrew channel and run a backuploader.

KennyLeam

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
requiem4d said:
QUOTE said:

We would love to implement this, myself especially. My wii's drive doesn't "grab" the small discs anymore, and originals will only play if they're inserted PERFECTLY... I'd like to be able to backup my discs and burn them on full-size dvds. Right now, though, this has to take a backseat to some of the more important things that we're doing with IOS.

Also, I'm getting highly discouraged by the sheer volume of piracy-related posts / emails / questions I'm receiving. Someone should have the pirates "keelhauled" before they kill homebrew altogether.

Yarr. Keelhauled.
Not to go all OT, but I for one am glad that folks are working on the backup loader. As the parent of a young child, I can tell you I've already saved 1 game since the backup loader 0.3b was released from certain doom due to young fingers getting a hold of the game.

And to those saying "GC before improved compatability" - I'm inclined to agree, only because my copy of the Mega Man X collection is damaged beyond repair and replacements are impossible to find! That said, I want to thank any / all working on cIOS/the loaders. You folks do incredible work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night