willl

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hi All,

Applogies if I have posted this in the wrong section.

At the moment I have a 250gb partition in WBFS and 500gb in NTFS on my external USB hard drive.

I have tried wiiexplorer and ftpii but it only shows the sd and NTFS partitions

Is there any way or programme that I can read the WBFS partition via my network so I don't need to unplug my hard drive to get any games onto the usb hard drive?

Cheers

Will

PPSainity

Blinded by Science
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
willl said:
Hi All,

Applogies if I have posted this in the wrong section.

At the moment I have a 250gb partition in WBFS and 500gb in NTFS on my external USB hard drive.

I have tried wiiexplorer and ftpii but it only shows the sd and NTFS partitions

Is there any way or programme that I can read the WBFS partition via my network so I don't need to unplug my hard drive to get any games onto the usb hard drive?

Cheers

Will
The coder for WiiXplorer, Dimok, has stated that WBFS support is not something that will likely be added to WiiXplorer's feature set - you can read about that here.

While it would be a novel feature to be able to transfer Wii Disc backups via FTP, the size of the games and the slow transfer speed make this impractical. If you really want to be able to transfer your games via your LAN I would suggest using a FAT32 partition instead of a WBFS partition. With a FAT32 partition you can already do this. Whether it is worth the trouble of switching over is something you need to consider.

-[]D

froesch

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
the images on ntfs needs too much space on the hd. on ntfs you have other problems like the 4 gb limit and you have to change the iso to a wbfs if its more.

i have a lan adapter so the speed wouldn't be a problem (wlan suckz). there must be a way to solve this problem ;-)

PPSainity

Blinded by Science
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
froesch said:
the images on ntfs needs too much space on the hd. on ntfs you have other problems like the 4 gb limit and you have to change the iso to a wbfs if its more.

i have a lan adapter so the speed wouldn't be a problem (wlan suckz). there must be a way to solve this problem ;-)
You are confusing NTFS with FAT32 as far as the 4GB file size limit is concerned. NTFS supports a maximum file size of 16 ExaBytes. Also, WBFS files on FAT32 or NTFS should not take up any more space than the same game on a WBFS drive, save a sector or two. Are you scrubbing your games properly?

-[]D

boondoklife

Trophies
Website
boondoklife.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
The lan adapter does not get any better speeds for me, but it does seem to transfer at a more stable speed. I really would not recommend transferring the files over the network as it can be rather slow.

As far as the NTFS issue, PPSanity is right, unless you are storing them as ISO files they should be the same size as the images stored on a WBFS partition. Run the ISO files through wbfs_file and all should be well.

I use `wbfs_file -g -2` to strip out everything but the game partition and split it into 2GB files, but in your case you could leave off the -2 option as NTFS does not have the 4GB file limit that FAT32 does.

On a more personal note I would have rather seen ext2 or ext3 been the file systems of choice but o well.
wink.gif

PPSainity

Blinded by Science
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
boondoklife said:
On a more personal note I would have rather seen ext2 or ext3 been the file systems of choice but o well.
wink.gif
Good news, the coders of USB Loader GX have made an ext2 library for the Wii, libext2fs. That means not only will USB Loader GX now support the ext2 format, but other loader can now include the library as well. Over time, it should be better than NTFS support as MS is not so open with the details and documentation.

-[]D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6rI8eXgDxd/?igsh=MWYybHY2YXoyM3I2cQ==