Hacking Question RCM mode with broken power button?

maxpower49

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My switch is currently hacked and working fine, but the power button on top is no longer working. My question is, if I need to reboot for any reason, will I be able to get back in to RCM mode? If I turn it off, hold volume up with the jumper in.. then plug the usb cable in, will that work and get me into RCM? The volume buttons do work fine.

Last edited by maxpower49,

Gammazeth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
No you won't, it's actually a button combo so if one element misses, the combo is impossible to make. And I'm not sure but if I remember correctly, if your switch runs out of battery, it doesn't turn on automatically after you plug it, you have to press the power button in order to boot so it will be basically "bricked" until you repair it (I'm not sure about this information tho, it's been a while since mine got discharged).

D

Deleted User

My switch is currently hacked and working fine, but the power button on top is no longer working. My question is, if I need to reboot for any reason, will I be able to get back in to RCM mode? If I turn it off, hold volume up with the jumper in.. then plug the usb cable in, will that work and get me into RCM? The volume buttons do work fine.

Yes you can - I always trigger RCM this way without power button -

Switch off
Insert Jig
Hold Volume +
Plug in my usb C cable from PC
Send payload

I sometimes get switches in that require power button pressed as well (RARE)

Gammazeth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yes you can - I always trigger RCM this way without power button -

Switch off
Insert Jig
Hold Volume +
Plug in my usb C cable from PC
Send payload

I sometimes get switches in that require power button pressed as well (RARE)
What? I never managed to do it on mine and I've tried countless times... That seems so weird tho, like if your switch is off (not in RCM, completely off) and you just press the + button, theoretically nothing should happen since you need to "power it on" to enter RCM.

Last edited by Gammazeth,
D

Deleted User

What? I never managed to do it on mine and I've tried countless times...

Ive seen a few switches this doesn't work on - Always has been switches that were previously modded / worked on.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

What? I never managed to do it on mine and I've tried countless times... That seems so weird tho, like if your switch is off (not in RCM, completely off) and you just press the + button, theoretically nothing should happen since you need to "power it on" to enter RCM.

Switch auto triggers RCM at time of USB insertion. Hence the USB sound FX. (With jig and VOl +)

Example: No jig inserted - Switch off and charged - Plug USB C cable from PC etc and it will start up.

Last edited by ,

Gammazeth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Ive seen a few switches this doesn't work on - Always has been switches that were previously modded / worked on.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------
Oh yeah ? Didn't know about that...

Switch auto triggers RCM at time of USB insertion. Hence the USB sound FX.

Example: No jig inserted - Switch off and charged - Plug USB C cable in and it will start up.

maxpower49

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks guys.. I'm going to give it a shot tonight. Fingers crossed that I don't have one of those few switches that the USB cable won't power on. I bought it at launch.

Is there any atmosphere / software reason that the power button would have stopped working? Strange that the volume buttons still work.. I know that all 3 buttons are part of the same piece.

Wazzy

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks guys.. I'm going to give it a shot tonight. Fingers crossed that I don't have one of those few switches that the USB cable won't power on. I bought it at launch.

Is there any atmosphere / software reason that the power button would have stopped working? Strange that the volume buttons still work.. I know that all 3 buttons are part of the same piece.
hey i know im 2 years late but do you know why your power button was broken and did you ever fix it?

ive just ordered a switch with a broken power button that i intend to jailbreak.
ive also bought a replacement volume and power button flex cable to install but i dont think thats the issue.
i asked the guy if its just the power button or the volume buttons too but he said the volume up and down work just fine.
im confused on what is wrong with it.

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I also suggest, enable "auto RCM" in Hekate, and inside your Atmosphere folder is a file called "reboot_payload.bin" Copy over "Hekate.bin" or "fusee.bin" (whichever you want to boot to) to this folder and rename it to "reboot_payload.bin" (delete existing "reboot_payload.bin" file). Now whenever your Switch crashes, or reboots, you will not need the jig anymore, or the need to put into RCM mode anymore, and it will boot right into Hekate or Fusee everytime, even on a crash. Good luck! :grog:

Wazzy

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I also suggest, enable "auto RCM" in Hekate, and inside your Atmosphere folder is a file called "reboot_payload.bin" Copy over "Hekate.bin" or "fusee.bin" (whichever you want to boot to) to this folder and rename it to "reboot_payload.bin" (delete existing "reboot_payload.bin" file). Now whenever your Switch crashes, or reboots, you will not need the jig anymore, or the need to put into RCM mode anymore, and it will boot right into Hekate or Fusee everytime, even on a crash. Good luck! :grog:
thanks for the advice, i will remember to install that. :yayswitch:

Reactions: BigOnYa

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)