Hacking RawkSD

Dent

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
theuser said:
Dent said:
I believe you guys have to do this delayed inserting of the 4GB SD card because you are on System Menu 4.0/4.1. It is a known issue of the 4.0/4.1 system menu and the 4GB non-SDHC card. This is why I am still sticking with system menu 3.2 for now. Others always talk about there being no reason not to upgrade to 4.1 but I say this is a big one for me, especially since there is no problem playing any games out there on 3.2.

I'm going to have to call you out on this one. I'm at menu 4.1 with one of those twitchy Transcend 4g cards and I've got it working like a dream. All I had to do was use the Panasonic SD formatting tool, specifically the version that team Twiizers endorses. You can find it for download on the Wiibrew site in the HBC installation tutorial. Occasionally, you'll have to go back and reformat, usually if Windows is still trying to write something when you eject, because it leaves something behind and makes the Wii hate your card. But since the 4.0 update when I had to do my initial format, I've only had to reformat once, and it's a relatively painless operation to do so. I assume that, because it's a bigger card and not SDHC, delayed write operations in Windows take longer than with a 2g card. So, this 4g card system menu myth has been officially debunked. Everybody can go ahead and update now.
If this is true then I may decide to upgrade to 4.1. This was the only issue holding me back. Every comment I had read about people who had upgraded to 4.0/4.1 said that things had gone wrong and not worked as perfectly as before the upgrade. There is a 10 page thread discussing and describing this issue right here: http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131750. Have any of you read this before and those who say you have it working, any comments of the problems that all those others on that thread have been having. There is not one person on that thread that has said it is working just as well as before.

Also, for those of you that have it "working", can you go into the Data Management of the Wii and move items back and forth from the Wii and the 4GB non-SDHC card? Can you play VC or Wiiware from the same 4GB non-SDHC card?

mischievo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's the real deal: the transcend 4GB non-SDHC cards can actually work in SDHC mode OR non-SDHC mode. They decide which mode to use based on how they're initialized for the first time after being powered on. So if you're on sysmenu 4.0 they'll jump into SDHC mode, which doesn't work properly when RB2 is booted - removing/inserting the card makes it reinitialize and use regular SD mode instead of SDHC.

tsai95

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Greetings all,

I think Rawk is a great concept, but I've been spinning my wheels for almost a week trying to get a song to load. I keep getting the error: "The license for [songname] was deleted from Wii system memory, please re-download the license". I've read this entire thread and tried all the related suggestions, but so far no luck
frown.gif

I did all of the following:

- Ran the RawkSDpatcher successfully
- Went into Rock Band 2 store and downloaded a free song (which loads fine)
- Ran RawkSD on my laptop and imported a song from my RockBand 1 disc
- Installed the song to SD card, and run RawkSD from the Wii, and successfully "Installed Customs"

When I go into Rock Band 2, the song shows up in the list, but when I select it, I get the "License was deleted" error above.

Any help or pointers would be a much appreciated lifeline... thanks guys!

Tammy
moogle.gif

theuser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dent said:
Have any of you read this before and those who say you have it working, any comments of the problems that all those others on that thread have been having. There is not one person on that thread that has said it is working just as well as before.

Also, for those of you that have it "working", can you go into the Data Management of the Wii and move items back and forth from the Wii and the 4GB non-SDHC card? Can you play VC or Wiiware from the same 4GB non-SDHC card?

Everything works and is completely functional. I'm an IT professional and, when working with my Wii, I actually try to give it situations where I can cause an error to occur and replicate the circumstances to rule out all possibilities and learn the complete nature of the issue. All system functions will operate as intended. The only thing you have to watch out for is, as I mentioned, an occasional need to run the formatting tool again, which is a minor inconvenience as it only requires you to temporarily copy your data off the card and then put it back on when the format is done.

theuser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tsai95 said:
Any help or pointers would be a much appreciated lifeline..

What song/songs are you trying to load? Also, what was the free song you downloaded? Lastly, check your wii memory. Are there two saves for Rock Band DLC or are there any there at all? Also, is the RawkSD DLC save present?

The first 2 questions may be irrelevant, but I like to have all the facts when approaching an issue. With the saves, you'll usually get that error when the Rock Band DLC save is not present. I've never had an experience where RawkSD deleted the DLC save, although I have had RawkSD create a duplicate DLC save in addition to the RawkSD save, and that screwed things up a little.

I would recommend first removing the Rock Band 2 DLC file (or both if there are 2), and then attempting a reinstall from the RawkSD app. If RawkSD doesn't generate a Rock Band 2 DLC file for you (not sure if it's supposed to, but like I said, I've had it do it for me, thus creating a duplicate), try it again but maybe with a different free song. The way Rock Band 2 saves song information is that the licensing data is stored in the save file while the data for download permissions is saved as a ticket much like when you download titles from the Wii shop. They do it that way to keep people from easily being able to copy that data so that while licensing data may be copied through certain channels, it's more complicated to illegitimately transfer download permissions. So the good news is that your problem is less complicated and is isolated to getting RawkSD to trick the game into allowing songs that the game servers aren't even programmed to recognize, in this case songs that have been licensed, but not for this game.

Sorry if that was a little long, but my hope is that a better understanding of how this works will help you troubleshoot your problem.

mischievo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RawkSD doesn't create the RB2 DLC files, it only creates RawkSD DLC files. Your claim that it created a duplicate DLC save is impossible. There can be up to 3 identical RB2 DLC files, depending on which songs you have downloaded from the music store. Having more than one is certainly not a problem.

EDIT: Also RawkSD doesn't not require you to download a free song, nor does it require a proper RB2 DLC save file to be present.

tsai95

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
theuser said:
tsai95 said:
Any help or pointers would be a much appreciated lifeline..

What song/songs are you trying to load? Also, what was the free song you downloaded? Lastly, check your wii memory. Are there two saves for Rock Band DLC or are there any there at all? Also, is the RawkSD DLC save present?

The first 2 questions may be irrelevant, but I like to have all the facts when approaching an issue. With the saves, you'll usually get that error when the Rock Band DLC save is not present. I've never had an experience where RawkSD deleted the DLC save, although I have had RawkSD create a duplicate DLC save in addition to the RawkSD save, and that screwed things up a little.

I would recommend first removing the Rock Band 2 DLC file (or both if there are 2), and then attempting a reinstall from the RawkSD app. If RawkSD doesn't generate a Rock Band 2 DLC file for you (not sure if it's supposed to, but like I said, I've had it do it for me, thus creating a duplicate), try it again but maybe with a different free song. The way Rock Band 2 saves song information is that the licensing data is stored in the save file while the data for download permissions is saved as a ticket much like when you download titles from the Wii shop. They do it that way to keep people from easily being able to copy that data so that while licensing data may be copied through certain channels, it's more complicated to illegitimately transfer download permissions. So the good news is that your problem is less complicated and is isolated to getting RawkSD to trick the game into allowing songs that the game servers aren't even programmed to recognize, in this case songs that have been licensed, but not for this game.

Sorry if that was a little long, but my hope is that a better understanding of how this works will help you troubleshoot your problem.

Thanks very much for the reply! If I remember correctly, the free song I got was "bounce". The song I tried to get from Rock Band 1 was "When You Were Young".

One thing I noticed was that on my laptop, in the rawksd\customs\rb1whenyouwereyoung (sorry I don't know how to show you the screen):

data 2 kb
preview 264 kb
audio 15,122 kb
chart 118 kb
pan 172 kb
weights 14 kb

But on the SD card in the folder it made, rawksd\rb1\customs\rb1whenyouwereyoung:

data 2 kb

But nothing else other than the data file. Are the rest of the files supposed to be there?

Thanks again!

Tam
moogle.gif

p.s. I did what you suggested and tried with the song "Go With The Flow" but got the same "license deleted" error
frown.gif

Envido32

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Argentina
I've been using RawkSD since it was first released and I'm very glad with it. Thank you so much for such an excellent program! And with every new version I get even more satisfied.
I wanted to take the time for a couple of suggestions.
  • When importing Guitar Hero: Metallica all the songs are labeled with a "RawkSD" album.
  • Some way of sorting the songs inside the Windows program not only by Pack, but also by Artist, Album, Year, etc.
  • Possibility to select several songs and change their properties all at one (Album, Artist, Pack, etc.)
  • When listing the songs are shown in a "%Title% [%Folder%]" format, I think it would be more practical a "%Artist% - %Title%" format.
  • Today I imported the "Rock Band: Metal Track Pack" successfully, but it is labeled as "Rock Band 1".
  • You are probably already working on it, but adding support for importing "The Beatles Rock Band" would be nice.
As you can see there is noting urgent about it, in general it works almost perfect, but there could be some nice additions.
Thanks again for everything!

brett824

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So no one has gotten all the songs from GH2 imported correctly? At least 5 or 6 songs I've tried so far don't work and fail right away. I've tried on both 2.0.0 and 2.0.1.

mat03111984

Trophies
XP
Country
hey justa quick question. ive got all content on the store as purchased it says theres not enoush memory to download just one song? ive got 600 blocks free so im sure thats enough for just one song. any ideas. im booting through the channel, usa game, pal console... wont go to SD card either

theuser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mischievo said:
RawkSD doesn't create the RB2 DLC files, it only creates RawkSD DLC files. Your claim that it created a duplicate DLC save is impossible. There can be up to 3 identical RB2 DLC files, depending on which songs you have downloaded from the music store. Having more than one is certainly not a problem.
Thanks for the feedback, I didn't know about the different saves for the different DLC packs. That seems a little indirect to me, but it explains where the extra file came from, although I'm still curious why I had a problem in that instance and it may indicate the problem referenced in the previous post. Maybe there's a compatibility issue between one of the DLC packs and RawkSD. I'll see if I can replicate the error to determine for sure if that's the cause. Thanks again for your help.

QUOTE(tsai95 @ Sep 28 2009, 08:15 AM) Thanks very much for the reply! If I remember correctly, the free song I got was "bounce". The song I tried to get from Rock Band 1 was "When You Were Young".

One thing I noticed was that on my laptop, in the rawksd\customs\rb1whenyouwereyoung (sorry I don't know how to show you the screen):

data 2 kb
preview 264 kb
audio 15,122 kb
chart 118 kb
pan 172 kb
weights 14 kb

But on the SD card in the folder it made, rawksd\rb1\customs\rb1whenyouwereyoung:

data 2 kb

But nothing else other than the data file. Are the rest of the files supposed to be there?

Thanks again!

Tam
moogle.gif

p.s. I did what you suggested and tried with the song "Go With The Flow" but got the same "license deleted" error
frown.gif

Go With the Flow! Good choice!! That song kicks lotsa ass. Now we just need to get it running for you. Let's see, yes, it should only carry over the data file to your sd. That's the file RawkSD uses to build your custom DLC list. Thanks to Mischievo, we've confirmed that RawkSD doesn't touch your Rock Band DLC files. I hadn't thought so, but given the information he's given me, I need to see if I can get my system to produce the same error you're getting. It happened to me the very first time I tried to load customs.

For now, try this. If you can copy the save, make a backup of your main Rock Band 2 save file. I'm not sure off the top of my head if the save file is protected. If you need help with a method, PM me and I can send you some info on doing this through Preloader or any other varieties of methods you can easily use. After that, go ahead an wipe out all save data including Rock Band 2 and RawkSD DLC files (just from the system menu, don't waste your time using AnyTitleDeleter and cleaning out everything as I don't think that's necessary in this case and you would lose the songs you've actually paid for if any). Start fresh with a new save. Initially, don't download any songs, just install RawkSD. If that fails, download a song and then reinstall RawkSD. If either of those work, try removing the fresh save and copying your old save back over. I'm suspicious that it might not like your save for whatever reason. One of the things I did when I cleared up the issue was to clear out my save file. If neither of these works, we'll keep at it until we figure it out. Best of luck.

tsai95

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
theuser said:
Go With the Flow! Good choice!! That song kicks lotsa ass. Now we just need to get it running for you. Let's see, yes, it should only carry over the data file to your sd. That's the file RawkSD uses to build your custom DLC list. Thanks to Mischievo, we've confirmed that RawkSD doesn't touch your Rock Band DLC files. I hadn't thought so, but given the information he's given me, I need to see if I can get my system to produce the same error you're getting. It happened to me the very first time I tried to load customs.

For now, try this. If you can copy the save, make a backup of your main Rock Band 2 save file. I'm not sure off the top of my head if the save file is protected. If you need help with a method, PM me and I can send you some info on doing this through Preloader or any other varieties of methods you can easily use. After that, go ahead an wipe out all save data including Rock Band 2 and RawkSD DLC files (just from the system menu, don't waste your time using AnyTitleDeleter and cleaning out everything as I don't think that's necessary in this case and you would lose the songs you've actually paid for if any). Start fresh with a new save. Initially, don't download any songs, just install RawkSD. If that fails, download a song and then reinstall RawkSD. If either of those work, try removing the fresh save and copying your old save back over. I'm suspicious that it might not like your save for whatever reason. One of the things I did when I cleared up the issue was to clear out my save file. If neither of these works, we'll keep at it until we figure it out. Best of luck.

Yes... I'm SO looking forward to playin... I feel it's so close... but just missing something
frown.gif

I followed all your steps...

- deleted the Rock Band 2 saves and DLC things, and even all the Guitar game things I ever had just to be sure *sniffs*
- tried to install Rawk, but didn't work. had to go into Rock Band 2, and let it create a savefile, then Rawk installed and customs went in ok
- went back into Rock Band 2, saw the Rawk song, ran it... but "license deleted" error
frown.gif

So... I tried with the download...

- deleted saves and DLC stuff again
- went into game, created saves, went to store, downloaded a free song
- left the game, went to Rawk install, customs installed ok
- went into the game, saw the Rawk song, and.... still "license deleted"
cry.gif

so now i don't know where to go from here...

Tam *exhausted*

theuser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tsai95 said:
so now i don't know where to go from here...

Tam *exhausted*
Wow. I wouldn't have gone as far as to delete the Guitar Hero saves, but I guess we can rule that slim chance out. Did you back anything up? I'm at a loss as the only way I seem to be able to replicate the error is to remove the Rock Band DLC files. However, I can verify your problem because I experienced the exact same thing when I first started installing custom and imported songs. I can only think of one additional change I made that I haven't suggested yet. It's controversial, so in the interest of keeping it clean and avoiding conflict, I'll follow up with you via private message.

mat03111984

Trophies
XP
Country
ok i ve got all content saying purchased and some downloaded that i did through the dlc manager, but it still says cannot download anything, says not enough system memory. pleaaase jelp. ive got pal wii, usa rb2, but i havent changed my wii shop region. does that matter???
please help
thanks

Szalkow

RawkSD Cheerleader
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
mat03111984 said:
ok i ve got all content saying purchased and some downloaded that i did through the dlc manager, but it still says cannot download anything, says not enough system memory. pleaaase jelp. ive got pal wii, usa rb2, but i havent changed my wii shop region. does that matter???
Wrong thread entirely. RawkSD is not for piracy, and you will only attract unwanted attention asking this here. Search this forum for the thread you want, since I'm not going to link it for you.

tbyt

Trophies
XP
Country
I had lots of problems getting songs to work when I installed RawkSD earlier this week.
I kept getting license issues and told to re-download the song.
I found a post on some board or other telling me to use Geko to load RB2. Downloaded Geko192 and everything works a treat now - including USB instruments

I recommend giving it a go if you are having problems.

RawkSD is a great tool by the way!

Szalkow

RawkSD Cheerleader
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
jhoff80 said:
Does this get affected by the 4.2 update? Since it needs a patched IOS37, sounds like there could be trouble.
I overheard in #rawksd that the update does overwrite IOS37, and might also break the patcher... AerialX will know the definite answer.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Jdbye you right, guess just never hear it pronounced like that here so just sounds weird to me.