Hacking RawkSD

Riicky

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RawkSD is a great app, but come on, how many tempers make thier own music, chart them, and play them in rockband? I would estimate less than 5%...but I'm not willing to go as far as saying RawkSD is for piracy, but I will say that RawkSD may "influence" piracy. By saying that, I mean that someone might see what RawkSD allows you to do, and then that person goes on an MP3 downloading rampage, hit up scorehero and its RB counterpart for charts, just so he/she could play songs that weren't in GH or RB.

Just like softmodding the Wii....anybody here would agree that before softmodding a Wii came about, we were all paying for each and every game, but as soon as there was a "scene" and the tools to make it possible, 90% of people said "well so long gamestop!, welcome torrents!"...

In closing, calling one tool or app piracy, and the other not, is ridiculous.. either way you look at it, you're breaking TOS on every level regardless of which homebrew app you use!

Szalkow

RawkSD Cheerleader
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
packerpride17 said:
A whole page of deleted comments. Damned warzone out there.

Anywho, that beta screenshot gives me goosebumps - keep up the good work!
"Beta" is used loosely, if I recall that pic was taken by one of the devs when they implemented the sort-by-games and then lazor posted it here to tease people.

OncleJulien

tool of peers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Riicky said:
In closing, calling one tool or app piracy, and the other not, is ridiculous.. either way you look at it, you're breaking TOS on every level regardless of which homebrew app you use!
but breaking the tos and piracy arent exactly the same thing, now are they? using rawksd to play your rb1 songs in your rb2 aint even a kissin' cousin to using some pinched tool to slurp every dlc track off the wii shop and cram it into your wii.

as far as the argument of an app, either this one or another, influencing or enabling piracy, you may as well accuse henry ford of being a murderer, as over 40 thousand people die each yeah in automobile crashes. theres many an app that was created with the sole purpose and intent of stealing intellectual content, this simply isnt one of them. the sheer number of slings and arrows the devs have to endure in this very thread on a nearly daily basis should show you that they neither cater to, or in nightshadow's case, cow-tow, to folks hell bent on outfitting themselves with peg legs and eye patches.

f'en henry ford...deadliest serial killer evar.

qwertymodo

Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
Riicky said:
RawkSD is a great app, but come on, how many tempers make thier own music, chart them, and play them in rockband? I would estimate less than 5%...

Well I'm one of those 5%

And ToS != the law. Nintendo can refuse to provide you with services such as WFC and repairs if you break ToS, but it is not illegal to do so. Also, creating custom content != stealing existing content. RawkSD is a homebrew app that allows users to do things they wouldn't be able to do otherwise. Whether they do so legally or not is entirely up to the end user. That is the nature of an open system. On the other hand, an application that is solely designed to steal copyrighted content has no legal use and is outright piracy, period. And speaking of ToS, posting links to software which isn't allowed to be redistributed and are used solely for piracy is against GBAtemp's ToS, so...

happydance

Trophies
XP
Country
hate to be off topic.. but i saw your customs has vocal charts and..

how do i actually add vocal charts on some customs i got from fof in a noob way?

qwertymodo

Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
Knock yourself out
wink.gif

happydance

Trophies
XP
Country
damn.. i was reading that last week and still... :wtf:

oh well maybe the first time is hardest, still ain't finish on my first vocal chart. my wife bugging me to do her fave jpop artist

rbird

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please forgive the noob question, but I didn't see my problem covered in the FAQ or the last few dozen pages of this thread. Search doesn't seem to work right, as it only returns items totally unrelated to my search terms.

Just installed RawkSD this week and I'm getting the "out of date" error. FAQ says this is probably due to having a loader installed, however I do not. I have only the Homebrew Channel (installed via Indiana Pwns) and RawkSD installed, no other additional items whatsoever. Customs are nothing special, just some items I ripped from my GH discs. System menu version is 4.2U, RawkSD patcher was installed per the installation instructions.

I don't even know enough to begin to troubleshoot this (aside from trying to install everything again, which did no good). Any help would be appreciated.

Binxy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
rbird said:
Please forgive the noob question, but I didn't see my problem covered in the FAQ or the last few dozen pages of this thread. Search doesn't seem to work right, as it only returns items totally unrelated to my search terms.

Just installed RawkSD this week and I'm getting the "out of date" error. FAQ says this is probably due to having a loader installed, however I do not. I have only the Homebrew Channel (installed via Indiana Pwns) and RawkSD installed, no other additional items whatsoever. Customs are nothing special, just some items I ripped from my GH discs. System menu version is 4.2U, RawkSD patcher was installed per the installation instructions.

I don't even know enough to begin to troubleshoot this (aside from trying to install everything again, which did no good). Any help would be appreciated.

Did you install the rawk sd patcher? It should of came with the official download.

qwertymodo

Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
Grab DOP-Mii and install the latest IOS37 and say yes to all of the patches. This basically does the same thing as the RawkSD patcher, but I've had better luck doing it this way (also, it will download a clean copy of IOS37 from the Nintendo servers and patch that, so it doesn't matter what you already have).

Finnulf

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Riicky said:
RawkSD is a great app, but come on, how many tempers make thier own music, chart them, and play them in rockband?

Kudos to the folks who are doing tracks and whatnot, I admire all of the work that goes into it (I tried dabbling in that stuff ages ago with FoF). I'm seriously only interested in RawkSD 3 for one thing: having all of my legit DLC and imports (from RB/GH discs I own) in ONE location and to finally be free of all the damned card-swapping (even with 4GB Transcend cards). I have to keep talking myself out of converting my RB collection to my 360 because of the financial overhead - re-investing in all my DLC and having a new instrument collection just isn't a reasonable option.

- Selling my Wii is not an option since I still use it... and selling your Wii is the _only_ way of recouping any DLC costs.

- I had RB2 before I ever owned a 360 and to be frank, it is still the same enjoyable game even if it lacks a couple of very minor features and the additional graphic "polish". Most of our RB party gang are 360 people who have no complaint about our Wii version and certainly appreciate our much greater song selection - when I enjoy a game that much, I don't mind spending the extra money to enhance it.

- Every single one of my instruments (save for mics) are heavily customized... I'm not doing that all over again.

I'll admit that I eagerly wait for RawkSD 3 but I try to avoid all the "are we there yet" whining and play the patience game. I have faith that the team will deliver and not only will be socks be blown off, but my RB parties will be even more fun without having a print-out of which songs are on which SD card. Some of the customs I've seen on the site are intriguing... once there was a vid link for "Bet You Look Good on the Dance Floor"; not sure if the chart was actually ever done or not, but I'd love to play that song!
smile.gif

Anyway, random "rah rah" message of support. I'd check into the channel, but mIRC and I don't get along anymore... lol

titiln

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Finnulf said:
I have to keep talking myself out of converting my RB collection to my 360 because of the financial overhead - re-investing in all my DLC and having a new instrument collection just isn't a reasonable option.
i've also considered this but i think i'll do it for rock band 3. i get the impression that the dlc handling in rb3 for the wii is going to suck and it still won't have any form of importing.

and considering the whole piracy thing it makes me wonder if rb2's dlc will work at all there

SFenton

ಠ_ಠ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
titiln said:
Finnulf said:
I have to keep talking myself out of converting my RB collection to my 360 because of the financial overhead - re-investing in all my DLC and having a new instrument collection just isn't a reasonable option.i've also considered this but i think i'll do it for rock band 3. i get the impression that the dlc handling in rb3 for the wii is going to suck and it still won't have any form of importing.

I vote against this- they're going to have to compete with Guitar Hero 5 and Band Hero. As there are no codes, the only way I can think of it working is if they use GHWT EU's method- savegames on the console, or they could have a disc in. Idunno.

and considering the whole piracy thing it makes me wonder if rb2's dlc will work at all there

They probably will, but there'll probably be a changed up system or something akin to that about how the game handles the files.

lazor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
titiln said:
Finnulf said:
I have to keep talking myself out of converting my RB collection to my 360 because of the financial overhead - re-investing in all my DLC and having a new instrument collection just isn't a reasonable option.
i've also considered this but i think i'll do it for rock band 3. i get the impression that the dlc handling in rb3 for the wii is going to suck and it still won't have any form of importing.

impression based on what exactly?

titiln

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
QUOTE said:
impression based on what exactly?rock band 2, but i admit that impression might be wrong since rb2 was released a long time ago

SFenton said:
I vote against this- they're going to have to compete with Guitar Hero 5 and Band Hero. As there are no codes, the only way I can think of it working is if they use GHWT EU's method- savegames on the console, or they could have a disc in. Idunno.
but without codes you don't need to own an original copy of the game to do the importing and they're probably concerned about that part.
then again rb2 wii didn't ask for a code to give you the 20 free dlc so who knows
They probably will, but there'll probably be a changed up system or something akin to that about how the game handles the files.
of course they need a new system to handle dlc on the wii considering how vulnerable the current one is, but i'm concerned that such a new system would require completely starting over. whatever fucks over the pirates in that aspect might also fuck over those who actually paid for their dlc

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: hot take: freddy fazbear's pizzeria simulator is peak fnaf