RARE rom decompressor?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Treflex, Nov 7, 2008.

Nov 7, 2008

RARE rom decompressor? by Treflex at 7:40 AM (2,600 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. Treflex
    OP

Member Treflex GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I found a program called "Rare compressor/decompressor". I remember a while back reading that these games made by rare had some special compression or something to do with opcodes and therefore would not work if injected into a .wad - Will this program help? Here it is:

http://www.romhacking.net/utils/496/

2. stev418

Member stev418 GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    hm, ill have a play with, but not really sure if it will help. Dont think it will help much though

3. BIG MOE

Member BIG MOE ๔*๖ LORD BIG MOE ™

Syria
    I think it will be no use really .

4. Prince Valmont

Member Prince Valmont GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Now now... Let's think optimistically, regardless of the probabilities.
    It could be one tiny code away from working.

I mean, look how far we've come since April. Anything's possible.

5. BIG MOE

Syria
    I agree with you , just gave an opinion , and you can prove me wrong ( I really hope so ) cause success is an argument between different opinions , other wise we would of never made it here as you said , good luck [​IMG]

6. Jacobeian

Member Jacobeian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Cuba
    this is for DATA extraction/injection, the problem with ROM injection relies in the VC emulator: RARE games make use of custom microcodes (instructions set) that are (most probably) not supported by current VC emulators...

so, quite nothing in common with this tool

not really, success relies on correct hypothehis, quite never on speculation

7. BIG MOE

Syria
    speculations and theories that proven right and correct is what gave us what we have now , if humans didn't believe with the flying rug theory you would of never enjoyed the first class seat in an airplane that is a great modification of a flying rug [​IMG]

8. Slimmmmmm

Member Slimmmmmm GBAtemp MoNkEeE

United Kingdom
    This could be good but I won't hold my breath.

I've been meaning for a while to go back to the old CubeOcarina emu and try swaping out some files and editing others because we have learned so much recently.
    Banjo tooie is my "holy grail" of hacking [​IMG] so anything that can help, or even offer hope is good for me. (I know, long shot for a rare game)

Nice find btw

This is only a tiny part of a problem, we also need more variety in the official VC games emulators, and more people testing injections and detailing there failures too.hmmmm

This tool allows compression/decompression of

GOLDENEYE
    PERFECT DARK
    BANJO KAZOOIE
    KILLER INSTINCT
    DONKEY KONG 64
    BLAST CORPS
    BANJO TOOIE
    DONKEY KONG 64 KIOSK
    CONKER

But, it is the actual emulators that are the problem really.
    Has there been any official rare N64 games released?, off the top off my head, I don't think so.

hmmm, I am SURE I did a blast corps cube multi a while back, will double check

9. Prince Valmont

Member Prince Valmont GBAtemp Regular

United States
    What about Jet Force Gemini?

Anyway -- we've been fighting the good fight for seven months now, and there have been close calls & red herrings, but when you break it down to technical terms like "microcodes", it separates most of the community from being able to help.

I thought that SubDrag of the RareWitchProject may be able to help in this department (RareWitchProject Forums - Goldeneye on VC), but unfortunately, it seemed to lead to a dead end. He & Ice Mario were the masterminds behind the Goldeneye Rom Editor & finding the Sandcastle codes for Banjo-Kazooie's Stop & Swop. They've been into RARE games since the golden age of the 64. But if not them, then who?

Do we wait and see if Nintendo releases -any- rareware n64 game? Until then, are only leads are:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-fCrsqt9C4
    and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5N8ERlkGKc

10. OriginalHamster

Member OriginalHamster UStealthy

Chile
    Rare is MS second party now, chances of seeing a N64 VC game from their are really low. There was a rumor floating around about Nintendo not allowing Golden Eye on 360, accord this rumor MS offer release the game on 360 and VC, but sadly Nintendo didn't give green light. I thought the Banjo Kazoie thing was different because the copyrights of the game were owned mostly by Rare.

11. Treflex
    OP

Member Treflex GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Mario Golf 64 has been released for vc. probably won't magically support are games, but if anyone wants to take a look...