rar file error message

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Dionard904, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Dionard904
    OP

Dionard904 Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 9, 2017
    Norway
    Oslo
    I like to use rar archives to store important data. Some hours ago I have got an error message - Invalid or corrupt authenticity information. I don’t know any variant for fix rar file.

2. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    Use 7zip instead. LZ compression is higher and non-proprietary. Also, your lack of information doesn't give us much to go on.

VinsCool likes this.
  3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Hopefully this is not one of those one post (from a just joined user) answered by another spambot (also just joined and one post) posts. I have seen a few around the place of late and this sort of thing seems to be their chosen topic.

Two main scenarios
    1) Authenticity means something in computers, encryption and security. That being you can be sure the file is from the person that sent it (or at least someone with their key which should only be them)
    2) The rar peeps (or your translation) used the wrong word for what is being offered.
    Rar, and every other archive format worth a damn for this sort of thing, will do checksums on the files it contains. It will compare them when it extracts and see that they match, if not it will flag it up and say hold up now.
    Three things lead to that
    Actually corrupt file, incomplete copy and not all the files.
    Not all the files is easy -- if you split the archive into ?? megabyte chunks you might not have all of them and then this happens. Get them all.
    Incomplete copy -- copy it again.
    Corrupt. Possibly the start of a very bad week. Most drives don't corrupt randomly, if it does I would check the drive with a smart checker and whatever else you like as this could be a sign of a drive on the way out.

If you are crazy enough to not have backups and these are your only copies you may still be able to pull something back, I am not going to go into data recovery techniques right now other than to say they are an option but not one you ever want to be forced into using.

4. hobbledehoy899

hobbledehoy899 Conniption Master

Nov 13, 2015
    United States
    linux-zen
    Show me your proof.

5. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    Last edited by Joom, Apr 12, 2017
  6. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    hobbledehoy899 likes this.
  7. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    The OP didn't specify, and RAR4 is still the standard.

8. hobbledehoy899

hobbledehoy899 Conniption Master

Nov 13, 2015
    United States
    linux-zen
    Eh, it's not the version supplied on the main RARLAB page.

9. Dionard904
    OP

Dionard904 Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 9, 2017
    Norway
    Oslo
    Great tips pats, one of them must aid me.

10. hardnesa

hardnesa Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 20, 2017
    France
    France
    If you don’t know how to get .rar archive back take a look at https://repairrar.recoverytoolbox.com/ software supports even huge .rar files which were created not only WinRAR, it is easy of access