Hacking Random Wii-U Questions

Daak

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. How do I install Eshop emulated retro games (like super mario world) to a HDD? Wup installer mod-y always gives an error when I try to install them. A link to a good tutorial would be great.

2. Is there a confirmed working 2.5 inch non-powered drive solution? Ive tried a type of Y cable on 2 external enclosures in multiple ways. The only thing that works is my powered drive but I have to switch it on every time. If theres any solution that works without switching a drive on and off each time, id be interested.

3. Can I FTP into 32GB nand? I have a 16GB SD (I'm getting a 64GB) but I'm still curious why we cant store data and install games from the nand with a hacked system. Or even install directly from a PC using FTP.

Thanks.

bottmint

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1) You'll need some form of custom firmware to run the games once you install them. The program I've been using to install them is WUP installer GX2, if my memory serves. I'll double check when I get home, if my memory doesn't fail. XD

2) I'm not sure. I cannibalized a 2.5" hdd from an old 360 hard drive and put it in a 2.5 to 3" (I think it's 3") adapter that had a mini usb built in and connected it to the wii u with a 1 amp powered usb hub since the hdd needed slightly more than what an unpowered usb port can give.

3) If you're running something like haxchi or iosuhax, you'll be able to ftp anywhere on the wii u or attached usb storage. For haxchi, there's a version of ftpiiu called ftpiiu everywhere that enables usb browsing. Just be careful poking around in your nand.

Last edited by bottmint,

Daak

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1) You'll need some form of custom firmware to run the games once you install them. The program I've been using to install them is WUP installer GX2, if my memory serves. I'll double check when I get home, if my memory doesn't fail. XD

2) I'm not sure. I cannibalized a 2.5" hdd from an old 360 hard drive and put it in a 2.5 to 3" (I think it's 3") adapter that had a mini usb built in and connected it to the wii u with a 1 amp powered usb hub since the hdd needed slightly more than what an unpowered usb port can give.

3) If you're running something like haxchi or iosuhax, you'll be able to ftp anywhere on the wii u or attached usb storage. For haxchi, there's a version of ftpiiu called ftpiiu everywhere that enables usb browsing. Just be careful poking around in your nand.

I use mocha CW and wup installer mod y. It wont let me install some eshop games. Is wup installer GX different? I used ftpiiu also and with CFW and it only gets me into the USB storage, not nand. Does your HDD auto power on and off?

bottmint

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for my slow reply. Guess I overlooked the notification that you had posted a reply.

I'm not sure why it's not letting you install some titles. If you give me an example, I can see if it will work or fail for me. I've never used that installer before, so I'm not sure what the differences are between them. As far as ftp'ing into nand, are you looking at storage_mlc for wii u nand? I have 2 titles installed on nand, one being haxchi and the other netflix. Both of them are under storage_mlc/usr/title. I doubt that my hdd auto powers down.

Daak

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@bottmint
Hi,
Super Mario 64 wont install to my HDD using Wup installer mod Y - gives some sort of error (with all past console games). However non-emulated eshop games install and work fine (like Little Inferno).

Also, and potentially related, USB Helper is a really weird program. It says I can only install some games on the SD card. On top of that it will install some games not in the eshop but only if I have the ISO. If I had the ISO why would I need USB Helper? And in addition to all that USB Helper is always telling me I need the latest java and Ive updated java many times - JDK, JRE, 64bit and 32 bit. Its a really annoying program.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
2. Is there a confirmed working 2.5 inch non-powered drive solution?
The only thing that might work is an external SSD. That might even decrease loading times but I can't tell for sure as the USB port is the bottleneck here. Also SSDs are still expensive compared to HDDs.
And of course USB sticks work as well. I'm still using one for my Wii U games and the only downside you would expect from that (long loading times) are not really the case here as far as I can tell.

Daak

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only thing that might work is an external SSD. That might even decrease loading times but I can't tell for sure as the USB port is the bottleneck here. Also SSDs are still expensive compared to HDDs.
And of course USB sticks work as well. I'm still using one for my Wii U games and the only downside you would expect from that (long loading times) are not really the case here as far as I can tell.

Nah I wouldnt waste an SSD on this. Transfer speeds are going to be limited anyway. I use a 320gb drive currently and that will hold any wii-u games I want to play but its not big enough for wii-u and wii and GC games. What I mean by the question was: Is anyone currently using a 2.5 inch drive that either has auto on/off or is powered directly by the wii-u (with a y cable). I just want to know the exact components so I know what to buy.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SpookyBaker @ SpookyBaker: @K3Nv2