Hardware ram help for specific laptop

Sketchy1

gbatemp's shadiest warez dealer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK so I have this old notebook laptop the NP-N130 and I was wondering if I could upgrade this to 4gb of RAM. It only has 1 ram slot, so Samsung says it only supports 2gb, but I figured since this is gbatemp somebody could tell me otherwise (like my 3ds sdcard is 128gb even though is only supports 32 lol) ? I've had my eye on a few 4gb modules, specs match. And is anyone out there has this same laptop, please, your comments will take priority

Last edited by Sketchy1,

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I guess there is a reason why they say it does only support 2GB ...
When the mainboard is not able to use more you probably have no chance to use more ... maybe if there is some bios update that lets you use more but I doubt it ...

Look at your Mainboards specs there it should say like "maximum GB" and how much Hz are okay and so on.

Sketchy1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess there is a reason why they say it does only support 2GB ...
When the mainboard is not able to use more you probably have no chance to use more ... maybe if there is some bios update that lets you use more but I doubt it ...

Look at your Mainboards specs there it should say like "maximum GB" and how much Hz are okay and so on.
So it's just dependent on whether the bios will reject it or not? (it's $75 for the module so it's kinda a big risk with no return policy) and samsung only says that because it only has 1 slot. I'm planning on using 1 4gb drive. I had a friend with another laptop with only 1 slot and he did the upgrade, but it's a different laptop (used around the same specs though)

Last edited by Sketchy1,

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
It's the chipset of the motherboard that determines compatibility. If the chipset only supports 1GB or 2GB SODIMMs, then a 4GB SODIMM (theoretically) won't work. That's why you need to find the specs of the motherboard, to find out what it does support. Although usually the Samsung website and laptop spec sheet tells you everything you need to know which it sounds like you've already checked.

Note that even if you did manage to get 4GB to work, it would still be "unsupported", and may or may not have unexpected problems (like intermittent memory issues on load). Samsung will not help with any issues you if they hear you put unsupported RAM into your device.

As a side note, the reason why 3DS says it only supports 32GB SDHC cards is because 64GB+ SDXC cards are usually formatted to exFAT by default and you need third party software to format it as FAT32. The hardware specs are pretty much the same, hence why it works, although I've heard a few reports of some SD cards only showing 32GB usable space (maybe they formatted it using Windows? I don't remember).

Sketchy1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you have a ram compatible readily at hand, you can simply try and disprove.
Lol if i could do that I wouldn't be here. O and BTW I can't find any data sheets for this computer, so can anyone lend a hand

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: