Rage to be 3 disc on 360

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by tommyt, Sep 25, 2011.

Sep 25, 2011

Rage to be 3 disc on 360 by tommyt at 7:33 PM (1,257 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. tommyt
    OP

Member tommyt GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Source: IGN

2. DarkStriker

Member DarkStriker GBAtemp's Kpop lover!

Norway
    Thought you were raging about how xbox is getting 3 disc and the awesomly ps3 is getting 1 disk only xD

3. tommyt
    OP

Member tommyt GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I don't hate any console even though I have a PS3 [​IMG]

4. GameWinner

Member GameWinner Take your heart

United States
    All this to play one game?

5. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    Metal Gear Solid 4 required you to install at every chapter.

6. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    Next Gen, Bro.

7. GameWinner

United States
    Wait? On both PS3 and 360? If it's on 360 then those guys would be better off playing it elsewhere..

8. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    MGS4 is PS3 only....

9. GameWinner

United States
    Read it too fast, I thought you had the Metal Gear Solid Collection...

10. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    it seems like space is still an issue. i think thats the limitation of the hardware.
    very good/graphical games cannot be handled efficiently and hence some sort of "forcing" is required such installing everything one by one

a game should be like on the ps2. one dvd for ff10 and 12 and u dont need to install anything.
    ps1 was same but i guess the cd size was the limitation for some games like the ff titles (although i think they could have made it lesser dvds in one way or the other)

i dont quite understand the ps3 part. 8 GB total size for installation once correct?
    even a blu-ray cannot handle the transfer rates. i agree they gave the ppl bigger hard disk specifically to address this issue of installation but what more do they want than the blu-ray? holographic discs?

but about the xbx, it is powerful as the ps3 but the hardware it accepts is still limited. seems like a ps1 issue with all those cds. matching console hardware with input media hardware requires longer planning.

One thing to learn, sony thinks about media more than xbx as MS relies more on the hard disk IMO.

bottomline - devs want multi platform but get limited by xbx storage mechanisms/media. sony is more flexible but still not as much as the devs are demanding.
    Is it lack of knowledge on a better means of storage/media or is it just expensive? I believe the hardware being available to load better media would be expensive more than the media itself.

NOTE: they said holographic discs could store 500GB... thats a ps3 hard disk right there but at what transfer rate?

Is the installation necessary as it says
    "We recommend installing the game to the hard drive, but you don't need to install all three discs"

11. kevan

Member kevan Imagination rules the world

Australia
    The 360 isn't as powerful as the PS3 is it?
    I thought the PS3 had the hardware edge slightly.

12. wrettcaughn

Member wrettcaughn Misunderstood Moral Elitist

United States
    So the game will be on the first two discs and multiplayer will be on the third disc? Doesn't sound as bad as it did when they first made the announcement.

13. geminisama

Member geminisama Metsu

United States
    Totally depends on WHAT you're referring too when you say the PS3 is powerful. Better graphics, yes, smoother performance, no. The problem isn't in the Blue-Ray format, it's that the drive speed on the ps3 is long outdated, and lags behind when dealing with such high capacity storage. The norm on commercial blue-ray players these days are like x6-x8, while the PS3 is like x2. So with DVDs, the max capacity being an iirc 9.5~ GB (that's with dual layer, and the new 360 capacity), you of course will need more of them for these bigger games than the much higher capacity blue ray; BUT with the higher capacity and inferior drive speed, installing is mandatory to function in a playable manner.

14. Necron

Member Necron Lurking~

Chile
    is that also true?

15. Fudge

Banned Fudge Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra

United States
    That's for the 360 version, not PS3. IIRC the only 360 game that has a mandatory install is Final Fantasy XI Online.

16. Devin

Member Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

United States
    The Install is most likely only to reduce loading time. As said before, it's not mandatory although depending on length of the loading times it may be.

Start Screen>First Cutscene>Loading Time 5 Minutes>Tutorial>Cutscene>Loading Time 5 Minutes

17. Clarky

Member Clarky Don't you know who I think I am?

United States
    there was a football manager game on the 360 that needed to be installed mandatory as well, but thats just nitpicking