Hacking R4i sdhc upgrade card problems...

brutalforceuk

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hi guys, Ive bort a dsi running v2.1e fw and a r4i sdhc card upgrade (red box with a yellow star saying 1.4 in it from r4i-best.com). They said it backward compatible with 2.1e fw but ive tried total 12 custom firmwares from numerous sites to no such look. I get black screens top & bottom with loading (in white text) on the top screen and duz nothing?? Have you any idea how i can get to work please.

I have a few days left before 28 days is up and still ive no idea if theyll refund me. If this card wont possibly work on that f.w 2.1e, what if i update my dsi firmware to 1.4 or is that a big NO NO?? Or, would i be better going for something like an Acekardi or if anyone can suggest thea best card for my dsi, id be very grateful of some help.

Many thanks guys.

brutalforceuk

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ok, today i went purchased another card which is the same..but, its an older version. I took the dsi to the stall and it booted up to the menu and selected a rom...then i got black screen on top screen, with loads of small white text scrolling down then it just freezes. As its gone past the "loading" screen which other card does, i assumed this one would work but im getting white screens on other f/w's even from the cards site (again its been purchased from r4i-best.com) so thats strange.

46 views and no help, c'mon guys...

Yes, ive read the other problems on this forum but they just say r4 and not r4i on the ones ive read...

Thankyou to him what helps.

Stropdasje

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
brutalforceuk said:
46 views and no help, c'mon guys...
Okay, okay. My 2 cents.

Maybe a contact problem, some the cartridges have their contacts too low. Of course there is always a certain margin and maybe your DSi with this R4i is just outside the tolerances. You could try the paper trick to make the contacts of the R4i a little higher. Search GBATemp for instructions.

Other tips:

Which ROM do you try to load. The newer ROMs have anti piracy protection and maybe the R4i kernel can not handle it. Try an older ROM first (one below 1000).

Start with the kernel software that is bundled with the card (either on a CD or on the website printed on the box or information card). Always use a fresh formatted SD, first add the kernel, then ROMs.

For best results format the SD card with the Panasonic formatter, but just to get is started you can also format in Windows. When everything works you can always repeat the procedure with the Panasonic formatter later for best performance. But the first priority should be to get it working in the first place.

In other words, approach this systematically. Start simple and slowly migrate to the end result. For example: if even an old ROM with the standard kernel doesn't work then its no use to look for another kernel. Then it must be something else. For example maybe your R4i just has a problem with the SD card which you happen to use, try a micro SD card from a different vendor. Also maybe try a simple SD card (

brutalforceuk

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
BIG thankyou to you all for replying so quickly...Im going to try what you say and see what happens. I have a ds lite which i tried different methods to get new roms working and currently use r4 wood which seems to do the trick so far with some fixes dropped in there. The dsi is slightly harder to satisfy by the looks.

Now i have some help, im going to do step by step and then if all fails, stay away from r4i cards and buy Acekard and try that.

Really appreciate your replies & help guys, seems a good forum this with plenty of help and info...unlike some of the others

Top stuff & thanks again!!!

Gordinio said:
Return the R4i and don't get another one. Get an Acekard 2i. BTW, there's no 2.1E firmware.

Sorry (doh) 1.2e..all these firmware going to my head. Thanks again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: gimme