Hacking R4i gold

Buleste

Old Fart
Trophies
Website
www.redbubble.com
XP
Country
Is there anyway to verify what bootloader i am running on my cart?
I would have thought the sellers would have updated it for me with the latest because i bought mine early this month.

Anybody?
The way to check your boot loader is by the flash cart icon and what firmware the card will run on. Google "R4i-sdhc and 1.41 icon game" and you you should come up with an answer. You can check other firmware by the icons. It's a process or you can always ask the flash card team. Go here to check out a cool little chart and look around at the flash cart classification too, if you have some time. Good info.....
If you read the thread Bman has a www.r4ids.cn so googling r4i-sdhc game icon is pointless as it will only give information on the wrong cart.
Do not update your r4i gold 3ds which can support 3ds 3.0.0-5 directly.
You should not use the wood r4 for r4idsn.
You should download wood r4 1.42 for r4i gold from www.r4ids.cn.
Yes you can use the filetrip Wood for r4idsn as it works perfectly on the r4ids.cn. It even says you can use the file on the information.
Important Information
Since v1.17, there is a Wood R4i Gold firmware released by the (http://www.r4ids.cn)R4iDSN team. This firmware is produced in close cooperation between me and the R4iDSN team, it gets the same support from me as do my other firmwares.

Caution: The Wood R4i Gold firmware is only for the R4i Gold made by (http://www.r4ids.cn) R4iDS. Other R4i Gold cards, due to different hardware, can not use the Wood R4i Gold firmware (including the R4i Gold v2, etc)
The only difference between the Wood for r4idsn and r4ids.cn is an extra file called WOODR4.nds which is needed if you are running the r4ids.cn 1.51b kernel as well as Wood and even then all that file is is a renamed copy of _DS_MENU.dat.

Okay thanks for your all your help guys.
So what tranfeer is saying, my current bootloadsr is up to date and i can update my 3ds safely?
If so, how did he confirm this?
Is it the image of the halo and wings?
tranfeer is wrong and obviously hasn't read the thread or else he would've known that the downloads for r4ids.cn were down and that we have fixed the wood issue anyway and he would also know that the bootloader that you have is not the right one for the latest version of 3DS firmware.

Dorasu is an old bootloader. The one you want has Spongebob Squarepants and Oriental writing. If you update your 3DS now without updating the bootloader you will not be able to use your r4ids.cn.

Bman321

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Is there anyway to verify what bootloader i am running on my cart?
I would have thought the sellers would have updated it for me with the latest because i bought mine early this month.

Anybody?
The way to check your boot loader is by the flash cart icon and what firmware the card will run on. Google "R4i-sdhc and 1.41 icon game" and you you should come up with an answer. You can check other firmware by the icons. It's a process or you can always ask the flash card team. Go here to check out a cool little chart and look around at the flash cart classification too, if you have some time. Good info.....
If you read the thread Bman has a www.r4ids.cn so googling r4i-sdhc game icon is pointless as it will only give information on the wrong cart.
Do not update your r4i gold 3ds which can support 3ds 3.0.0-5 directly.
You should not use the wood r4 for r4idsn.
You should download wood r4 1.42 for r4i gold from www.r4ids.cn.
Yes you can use the filetrip Wood for r4idsn as it works perfectly on the r4ids.cn. The only difference between the Wood for r4idsn and r4ids.cn is an extra file called WOODR4.nds which is needed if you are running the r4ids.cn 1.51b kernel as well as Wood and even then all that file is is a renamed copy of _DS_MENU.dat.

Okay thanks for your all your help guys.
So what tranfeer is saying, my current bootloadsr is up to date and i can update my 3ds safely?
If so, how did he confirm this?
Is it the image of the halo and wings?
tranfeer is wrong and obviously hasn't read the thread or else he would've known that the downloads for r4ids.cn were down and that we have fixed the wood issue anyway and he would also know that the bootloader that you have is not the right one for the latest version of 3DS firmware.

Dorasu is an old bootloader. The one you want has Spongebob Squarepants and Oriental writing. If you update your 3DS now without updating the bootloader you will not be able to use your r4ids.cn.

Thanks for the confirmation blueste.
I may just update it because i can't get another dsi and its for my child and they are going to want to play mk7.
I dont see why the guys i bought it from never updated it, considering i bought the memory card as well.

Buleste

Old Fart
Trophies
Website
www.redbubble.com
XP
Country
Thanks for the confirmation buleste.
I may just update it because i can't get another dsi and its for my child and they are going to want to play mk7.
I dont see why the guys i bought it from never updated it, considering i bought the memory card as well.
What area of the country do you live in as there may be a temper who can help you out or tell you if there is a good store near you that could help you our.

Bman321

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the confirmation buleste.
What area of the country do you live in as there may be a temper who can help you out or tell you if there is a good store near you that could help you our.

Really, that would be cool. I live in North west london.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I have the R4i Gold 3DS (www.r4ids.cn) and actually, I have two of them because i tend to make my orders from China in bulk.

I will make a Youtube video if you don't believe me, but I post the following because I might have the same "run" of the cart as Bman does.

It has the Halo & Wings DORASU icon in 3DS/DSi Menu,
it WILL NOT run either update available on the www.r4ids.cn site (on DSi, 3DS, or DS Lite, same error as he described),
it won't work with the official R4iDSN Wood package (which I have set up on the official R4iDSN Gold 3DS {www.r4idsn.com} cart and does work on it),
and IT WORKS ON 3.0.0-5U using the Wood from www.r4ids.cn ***

I hate to advise that the flash cart might just work fine without installing the official bootloader. But if he's going to have to outsource updating the thing anyway, why shouldn't he go ahead and update his 3DS and see what happens?

also, I never did figure out why there's a difference, and hopefully this doesn't turn into another argument

edit4.0 (fixed URLs again) ***
Okay, this is the "Official" filetrip link:
http://filetrip.net/...4iDSN-1-42.html
and here is another one:
http://filetrip.net/...DS%29-1-42.html
that isn't Official but I tested it, and I can't confirm without doing all my crap all over again which one worked on which cart, only that I got two different MicroSD's setup and they will only run on one of the two different popular wood compatible R4i Gold 3DS carts.

Also, since I think you did get Wood working but it's just the bootloader update that you couldn't run, don't sweat it. There's a WiFi Update option in Wood Menu under Tools, so that part isn't something you should have to reinstall again.

Also, any chance you could describe the packaging too? Mine came in a little blister pack with a yellow backing and a "TF Reader". The yellow card insert had a ridged plastic on it for a fancy moire effect.

Sorry for excessive edits XD

Buleste

Old Fart
Trophies
Website
www.redbubble.com
XP
Country
Hey, I have the R4i Gold 3DS (www.r4ids.cn) and actually, I have two of them because i tend to make my orders from China in bulk.

I will make a Youtube video if you don't believe me, but I post the following because I might have the same "run" of the cart as Bman does.

It has the Halo & Wings DORASU icon in 3DS/DSi Menu,
it WILL NOT run either update available on the www.r4ids.cn site (on DSi, 3DS, or DS Lite, same error as he described),
it won't work with the official R4iDSN Wood package (which I have set up on the official R4iDSN Gold 3DS {www.r4idsn.com} cart and does work on it),
and IT WORKS ON 3.0.0-5U using the Wood from www.r4ids.cn / http://filetrip.net/...S%29-1-42.html.

I hate to advise that the flash cart might just work fine without installing the official bootloader. But if he's going to have to outsource updating the thing anyway, why shouldn't he go ahead and update his 3DS and see what happens?

edit: to fix URLs -- still not 100% sure that's the correct filetrip link but i'm willing to check again

also, I never did figure out why there's a difference, and hopefully this doesn't turn into another argument
It's obviously an issue with a batch of carts as I've just been to www.r4ids.cn and have found this.
The special patch for those red - "Loading" stucked 3DS cards...(Dec.19th,2011)
11.gif

*Note: This special patch is only designed for those R4i Gold 3DS cards, which got a red text - "Loading" stucked on the bottom screen while click on "DORASU" icon, not for any other batch of cards....

I assume that if you run this patch you will have no issues with Wood and also you will be able to run the update but as I don't have one of that batch of carts I don't know.

This is in the ReadME file.
You should get a NDS Lite console(borrow one from others if you don't have one) and one any other flashcard(called "A" -like R4, TT, AK2, M3 or SupperDS two..)), which works properly on NDSL.

1.Download the latest WOOD R4 firmware from www.r4ids.cn and unzip it to the root directory of your tf card;

2.Copy Patch_R4iGold3DS_xmas_NDSL.nds to your tf card;

3.Just power your NDSL on and boot up Patch_R4iGold3DS_xmas_NDSL.nds with "A" card;
4.Take "A" card out of the NDSL;
5.Reinsert your broken R4i Gold 3DS card into the NDSL;

6.Press KEY_A and the updating process will begin;
7.You should keep your NDSL powered on during the updating process;
8.IF the result shows SUCCESS, it means you have updated your R4i Gold 3DS successfully and this card can work on DSi V1.4.3 and 3DS V2.2.0-4 and V3.0.0-5;

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's obviously an issue with a batch of carts as I've just been to www.r4ids.cn and have found this.
11.gif

*Note: This special patch is only designed for those R4i Gold 3DS cards, which got a red text - "Loading" stucked on the bottom screen while click on "DORASU" icon, not for any other batch of cards....

I assume that if you run this patch you will have no issues with Wood and also you will be able to run the update but as I don't have one of that batch of carts I don't know.

Good info, when I can find my spare cart I'll test it out! Right now I only have one and since it works I won't be messing with the bootloader.

edit: Found the spare, will test it now

edit again: But both my carts work, I don't think that's a fix for my batch. Under the Nov 21st patch, it says:
Note: Usually,the R4i gold 3DS can support 3DS V2.2 directly.However,If it can not work on 3DS V2.2.0-4 properly ,please try this patch...
  Please read readme.txt attached in detail before updating. Just download R4i gold 3DS V2.2 Patch for R4i gold 3DS card and update your flashcard...
I know that this quotes 2.2 and not 3.x, but that bootloader was never blocked by 3.x as far as I know!

edit againnnn: From their News page:
[Great News] R4i GOLD 3DS can support the newest 3DS V3.0.0-5 system updating! (2011-12-07)
33.gif

As we know that 3DS new firmware V3.0.0-5 update has arrived, R4i gold 3DS have been confirmed still working for the V3.0.0-5 without any patch.

Please note:As long as your 3DS card support 3DS v2.2.0-4, then it will support V3.0.0-5 automatically (You might need to do V2.2.0-4 patch updating for your 3DS card first in some case), for non-3DS card, it will also support V3.0.0-5 directly after doing a DSi V1.43 patch updating..

Bman321

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for your help guys but i am so confused now.
Do i update now?
I just got a message from the supplies of the cart saying:
If the console is the latest version
1) format the tf card
2) download the latest kernel at the latest official website
3) unzip file
4) copy all folders to root of tf card
5) copy backups into the root

They are under the assumption that i have the latest firmware on my 3ds right?

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do i update now?
**snip**
1. You did get a working Wood kernel on your cart, but the bootloader update/patcher thingy didn't work.
2. The instructions they are giving don't supercede what Buleste and I have said, they probably aren't thoroughly researching every flash cart kit they sell
3. My advice was that, since you cannot run the bootloader update and would need to borrow the use of a DS Lite console to try any alternative method of installation, that like me, your cart might just work fine with 3DS System 3.0.0-5x, so you may as well just update 3DS System and see if it works. I say this also, because I do own a DS Lite, and I have tried every logical method of attempting to apply the "Spongebob Japanese icon" bootloader update that Buleste told you you needed (since for at least one batch, that isn't actually necessary!).

edit:
4. Or just use things the way they are until a future update?

Bman321

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Do i update now?
**snip**
1. You did get a working Wood kernel on your cart, but the bootloader update/patcher thingy didn't work.
2. The instructions they are giving don't supercede what Buleste and I have said, they probably aren't thoroughly researching every flash cart kit they sell
3. My advice was that, since you cannot run the bootloader update and would need to borrow the use of a DS Lite console to try any alternative method of installation, that like me, your cart might just work fine with 3DS System 3.0.0-5x, so you may as well just update 3DS System and see if it works. I say this also, because I do own a DS Lite, and I have tried every logical method of attempting to apply the "Spongebob Japanese icon" bootloader update that Buleste told you you needed (since for at least one batch, that isn't actually necessary!).

edit:
4. Or just use things the way they are until a future update?

Hi exangel

1) The wood kernel is working fine now.
2) That could be the case yeah
3) So the ds lite update did not work or you and you have one to hand but your on the latest 3ds firmware running, dorasu bootloader.
4. Will there be a update or are these cards faulty? Should i ask for a replacement?

Has the link or soloution to apply the update that buleste suggested work? Or does that just fix the wood kernel loading issue only?

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3) So the ds lite update did not work or you and you have one to hand but your on the latest 3ds firmware running, dorasu bootloader.
4. Will there be a update or are these cards faulty? Should i ask for a replacement?

Has the link or soloution to apply the update that buleste suggested work? Or does that just fix the wood kernel loading issue only?
- Neither the DSi/3DS nor DS Lite update worked on DS Lite (even the DS Lite launching it with an Acekard, which is one alternate method),
- DSi/3DS update did not work with DSi,
- and I tried to install it with both of my r4ids.cn cartridges.
I was anxious about the 3.xxx patch which added 3D video recording though, and since I own a whole flashcart & DS collection I just updated it as soon as it was available.
The "Dorasu" loader never got blocked by doing this *on my carts* but there have been multiple batches of this flash cart and their official site news describes that not everyone had the same success I had (as I quoted previously).
So, yes, I am on the latest 3DS Firmware (3.0.0-5U for US systems) with the Dorasu bootloader you described,
The link that Buleste mentioned is probably a fix for a more recent batch, actually, as they released a special Christmas Edition cart that was having a problem with launching Wood (not the bootloader "problem" you and I have). I am not going to install it because it addresses a problem I do not experience.

Bman321

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

- Neither the DSi/3DS nor DS Lite update worked on DS Lite (even the DS Lite launching it with an Acekard, which is one alternate method),
I was anxious about the 3.xxx patch which added 3D video recording though, and since I own a whole flashcart & DS collection I just updated it as soon as it was available.
The "Dorasu" loader never got blocked by doing this *on my carts* but there have been multiple batches of this flash cart and their official site news describes that not everyone had the same success I had (as I quoted previously).
So, yes, I am on the latest 3DS Firmware (3.0.0-5U for US systems) with the Dorasu bootloader you described,
The link that Buleste mentioned is probably a fix for a more recent batch, actually, as they released a special Christmas Edition cart that was having a problem with launching Wood (not the bootloader "problem" you and I have). I am not going to install it because it addresses a problem I do not experience.

Thanks man.
I have sent a email onto the company and expecf them to get back to me with a solution, either a refund or exchange for another card.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks man.
I have sent a email onto the company and expecf them to get back to me with a solution, either a refund or exchange for another card.
Solution?

Maybe I made the mistake of not implying that there's actually nothing wrong with my cards, and it's likely that the reason that specific bootloader update doesn't install on the batch my cards came from is because it's already working as it should without changing the bootloader.

Did you update to 2.2x or 3.0x 3DS System and it broke your compatibility? If so, then I am sorry my advice was wrong for you..

PS I'm a woman

edit: ONE LAST THING! You never answered my question about the packaging your cart came in, was it a blister/clamshell pack with a yellow card that has plastic ridges for a psuedo-3D moire effect?

Buleste

Old Fart
Trophies
Website
www.redbubble.com
XP
Country
11.gif

Good info, when I can find my spare cart I'll test it out! Right now I only have one and since it works I won't be messing with the bootloader.

edit: Found the spare, will test it now

edit again: But both my carts work, I don't think that's a fix for my batch. Under the Nov 21st patch, it says:
Note: Usually,the R4i gold 3DS can support 3DS V2.2 directly.However,If it can not work on 3DS V2.2.0-4 properly ,please try this patch...
  Please read readme.txt attached in detail before updating. Just download R4i gold 3DS V2.2 Patch for R4i gold 3DS card and update your flashcard...
I know that this quotes 2.2 and not 3.x, but that bootloader was never blocked by 3.x as far as I know!

edit againnnn: From their News page:
[Great News] R4i GOLD 3DS can support the newest 3DS V3.0.0-5 system updating! (2011-12-07)
33.gif

As we know that 3DS new firmware V3.0.0-5 update has arrived, R4i gold 3DS have been confirmed still working for the V3.0.0-5 without any patch.

Please note:As long as your 3DS card support 3DS v2.2.0-4, then it will support V3.0.0-5 automatically (You might need to do V2.2.0-4 patch updating for your 3DS card first in some case), for non-3DS card, it will also support V3.0.0-5 directly after doing a DSi V1.43 patch updating..

The bootloader update from the 21st November was not affected by v3.0.0-5 however it is a Spongebob icon with oriental lettering so whilst the Dorasu Xmas batch of carts do work with 3.0.0-5 they are using a different bootloader (probably an early version of the 2.2.0-4) that obviously has flaws within it which is why it is very temperamental in getting what should be the correct versions of Wood working. This patch I assume brings these carts into line with the rest of the www.r4ids.cn range and gives them the same bootloader and removes the problems with Wood and getting the updates to work.

I think the link that I have given fixes an issue with all Dorasu carts and also brings them into line with the rest of the r4ids.cn range and fixes the bug that will not allow you to run firmware updates as you may find that when the next 3DS firmware comes out and r4ids.cn release a fix it may not work on your carts without you running the patch first.

Bman321

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks man.
Solution?

Maybe I made the mistake of not implying that there's actually nothing wrong with my cards, and it's likely that the reason that specific bootloader update doesn't install on the batch my cards came from is because it's already working as it should without changing the bootloader.

Did you update to 2.2x or 3.0x 3DS System and it broke your compatibility? If so, then I am sorry my advice was wrong for you..

PS I'm a woman

Lol sorry for being a doughnut!

The risk is if i update it and then it does not work , then i am stuck with a dead card.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The risk is if i update it and then it does not work , then i am stuck with a dead card.

In response to Buleste's comment before yours, he's got some solid logic and since I can wager the update on my spare cart and can theoretically unbrick it with my other carts if there's any issue, I will test it first.

And for the third time since this thread is moving to quickly for you to have noticed my edits, please confirm which packaging your cart came in

Bman321

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

In response to Buleste's comment before yours, he's got some solid logic and since I can wager the update on my spare cart and can theoretically unbrick it with my other carts if there's any issue, I will test it first.

And for the third time since this thread is moving to quickly for you to have noticed my edits, please confirm which packaging your cart came in

Okay thanks, appreciated.

EDIT: It came in a gold coloured box, with big R4 letters and a small 3ds lettering to the side.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well mine didn't come from a box, it came in a plastic clamshell pack with a yellow/gold card insert and a TF reader.
Nevertheless, I'm prepping my MicroSD to do this, but since I know you only have your 3DS system and one flash cart, I'm going to see if it's possible to run this on the 3DS (since it does actually launch) despite what the readme says. That way there's an indicator that flashing it yourself might work, instead of borrwing a DS Lite

If that doesn't work I'll just do it the way the instructions say.. will update in a minute

edit:
Running it on 3DS, card check fails. It says to reinsert, which won't work on DSi/3DS systems with homebrew, so this specific update is intended specifically to be run on DS Lite
Ran it on DS Lite, initial card check fails, after reinsertion it detected as OK
Upon completion it still shows the "DORASU" icon!

For good measure, I tested the Nov21 bootloader after running that patch and it still doesn't work. (Partly to test Buleste's theory this was a unifying patch)
This flashcart still works with 3DS just fine, loading Bejeweled 3.

I also tested swapping my r4idsn.com MicroSD (With Wood 1.42) in, and it still will not get past White "Loading" screen.

I'm really disappointed that Buleste wasn't right :/ As much as I don't want the Spongebob icon.. it's annoying that the r4ids.cn and r4idsn.com kits I received required slightly different Wood packages when they didn't for most other people

Bman321

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well mine didn't come from a box, it came in a plastic clamshell pack with a yellow/gold card insert and a TF reader.
Nevertheless, I'm prepping my MicroSD to do this, but since I know you only have your 3DS system and one flash cart, I'm going to see if it's possible to run this on the 3DS (since it does actually launch) despite what the readme says. That way there's an indicator that flashing it yourself might work, instead of borrwing a DS Lite

If that doesn't work I'll just do it the way the instructions say.. will update in a minute

edit:
Running it on 3DS, card check fails. It says to reinsert, which won't work on DSi/3DS systems with homebrew, so this specific update is intended specifically to be run on DS Lite
Ran it on DS Lite, initial card check fails, after reinsertion it detected as OK
Upon completion it still shows the "DORASU" icon!

For good measure, I tested the Nov21 bootloader after running that patch and it still doesn't work.
This flashcart still works with 3DS just fine, loading Bejeweled 3.

I also tested swapping my r4idsn.com MicroSD (With Wood 1.42) in, and it still will not get past White "Loading" screen.

I'm really disappointed that Buleste wasn't right :/ As much as I don't want the Spongebob icon.. it's annoying that the r4ids.cn and r4idsn.com kits I received required slightly different Wood packages when they didn't for most other people

Thanks for trying the fix. Its nice to know that it MAY work if I, update it but I dont really think it is good enough, considering i only purchased the cart a few days ago. Just gonna get a refund.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for trying the fix. Its nice to know that it MAY work if I, update it but I dont really think it is good enough, considering i only purchased the cart a few days ago. Just gonna get a refund.

It may also work if you don't update it, and if ultimately you require a card that has to be updated for working on 3.0.0-5x, and you wanted the system to be able to play SM3D Land, are you really letting potential piracy hold you back from that temporarily?
I just wouldn't personally go through the process of an exchange in your situation until after updating to 3DS 3.0.0-5x since you would ultimately have to exchange it for something compatible and updated/updatable anyway?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.