Hacking r4i gold update/blocking question

s.p.l.o.

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
im thinking of buying an r4i gold for my 3ds, but i am woundering about 3ds updates and the fact that it gets blocked every so often.

this is unlitely, but when it is blocked does it just not work until it is updated or does using it in the 3ds brick it or block it perminantly? and also, how long is usual for a firmware update usually (as in a week, a day, a month...)?

and 1 more thing...is updating hard? it looks simple enough from what i have seen in tutorial videos but i just want to make sure.

salnaruto2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is unlitely, but when it is blocked does it just not work until it is updated or does using it in the 3ds brick it or block it perminantly?

When you decide to update your 3DS, the R4i gold would not work at all. It does not brick your system.

and also, how long is usual for a firmware update usually (as in a week, a day, a month...)?

Not sure on that one. It takes a long time in my case because I have an old r4i gold.

and 1 more thing...is updating hard? it looks simple enough from what i have seen in tutorial videos but i just want to make sure.

Just follow the direction that come on the zip file. You would need a NDS to upgrade the r4i.
For me, sometimes it can be difficult because it does not read my card properly.

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
well see my thread in signature for updates on 3DS and compatibility

when a car dis blocked it just wont load the card, does nothing else,
each team has different speeds, some under 24 hours, some months

updating is running a file like you would a game and following the instrctions (normally "press B to check Card, Press A to begin update)
you have to make sure the card is not blocked tho to update it

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
There is NO BRICKING involved at all. Any bricking you've heard about was rumors (or dumbasses).

The flash cart will just refuse to work until it updates, but you need to run it to update it... so you'll need another DS unit to update the cart. SO don't update your 3DS if the cart hasn't been updated.

The R4i Gold usually takes less than a week for recent models.

Updating is simple.

LaserZX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol I screwed up on the weekend. I updated my 3DS XL in order to purchase some online content, but I didn't think to check the version of my card, it was just recently purchased but it wasn't using the latest firmware.

So I had to use my DSL to run the update, but yeah, I had it blocked by the 3DS XL & no harm was done.

s.p.l.o.

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
wait.. this card is good right? i just saw a review saying that it isnt very good. would dstwo be better?

LaserZX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wait.. this card is good right? i just saw a review saying that it isnt very good. would dstwo be better?

I personally think it's great.
The biggest difference between the two would be DSTwo's capability on emulating SNES/GBA games I think, someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
But I recall reading if you don't need that, then the R4iDS suits you at a much lower cost. The DSTwo also drains the battery faster due to it's higher memory for emulating SNES/GBA roms.

s.p.l.o.

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
thats a million for all the answers, i dont need the card for emulation(i use pc/wii for that) but its about the site. i have heard alot about only buying from r4ids.cn, but my freind bought a flashcart from http://www.r4i.ie so im woundering would http://www.r4i.ie/component/virtuemart/details/159/37/r4i-3ds-gold/r4i-gold-n3ds-for-nintendo-3ds a legit site (even thought it sayes theyre not compatible with new firmware, i could try some other time) cuz its an irish domain(where i live) and looks cheaper.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay