r4i gold update/blocking question

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by s.p.l.o., Oct 29, 2012.

Oct 29, 2012
  1. s.p.l.o.
    OP

Newcomer s.p.l.o. Newbie

Ireland
    im thinking of buying an r4i gold for my 3ds, but i am woundering about 3ds updates and the fact that it gets blocked every so often.

this is unlitely, but when it is blocked does it just not work until it is updated or does using it in the 3ds brick it or block it perminantly? and also, how long is usual for a firmware update usually (as in a week, a day, a month...)?

and 1 more thing...is updating hard? it looks simple enough from what i have seen in tutorial videos but i just want to make sure.

2. salnaruto2

Newcomer salnaruto2 Advanced Member

United States
    When you decide to update your 3DS, the R4i gold would not work at all. It does not brick your system.

Not sure on that one. It takes a long time in my case because I have an old r4i gold.

Just follow the direction that come on the zip file. You would need a NDS to upgrade the r4i.
    For me, sometimes it can be difficult because it does not read my card properly.

3. Pong20302000

Member Pong20302000 making notes on everything

Japan
    well see my thread in signature for updates on 3DS and compatibility

when a car dis blocked it just wont load the card, does nothing else,
    each team has different speeds, some under 24 hours, some months

updating is running a file like you would a game and following the instrctions (normally "press B to check Card, Press A to begin update)
    you have to make sure the card is not blocked tho to update it

4. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    There is NO BRICKING involved at all. Any bricking you've heard about was rumors (or dumbasses).

The flash cart will just refuse to work until it updates, but you need to run it to update it... so you'll need another DS unit to update the cart. SO don't update your 3DS if the cart hasn't been updated.

The R4i Gold usually takes less than a week for recent models.

Updating is simple.

5. s.p.l.o.
    OP

Newcomer s.p.l.o. Newbie

Ireland
    alright, thanks :) i think ill get it then. my main worry was the cart being permanently blocked.

6. LaserZX

Newcomer LaserZX Advanced Member

United States
    lol I screwed up on the weekend. I updated my 3DS XL in order to purchase some online content, but I didn't think to check the version of my card, it was just recently purchased but it wasn't using the latest firmware.

So I had to use my DSL to run the update, but yeah, I had it blocked by the 3DS XL & no harm was done.

7. s.p.l.o.
    OP

Newcomer s.p.l.o. Newbie

Ireland
    wait.. this card is good right? i just saw a review saying that it isnt very good. would dstwo be better?

8. Rydian

United States
    Depends on which one it is. Theres' a lot of "R4i 3DS"-type cards out there, some are good, some aren't.

9. LaserZX

Newcomer LaserZX Advanced Member

United States
    I personally think it's great.
    The biggest difference between the two would be DSTwo's capability on emulating SNES/GBA games I think, someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
    But I recall reading if you don't need that, then the R4iDS suits you at a much lower cost. The DSTwo also drains the battery faster due to it's higher memory for emulating SNES/GBA roms.

10. Bleak_Opethian

Newcomer Bleak_Opethian Member

United States
    dstwo has better features, but the r4i gold 3ds is cheaper. make sure that you get the one from r4ids.cn

11. s.p.l.o.
    OP

Newcomer s.p.l.o. Newbie

Ireland
    thats a million for all the answers, i dont need the card for emulation(i use pc/wii for that) but its about the site. i have heard alot about only buying from r4ids.cn, but my freind bought a flashcart from http://www.r4i.ie so im woundering would http://www.r4i.ie/component/virtuemart/details/159/37/r4i-3ds-gold/r4i-gold-n3ds-for-nintendo-3ds a legit site (even thought it sayes theyre not compatible with new firmware, i could try some other time) cuz its an irish domain(where i live) and looks cheaper.

12. salnaruto2

Newcomer salnaruto2 Advanced Member

United States
    I would recommend shoptemp but it is not online.
    You can try this site: http://nds-card.com/
    As for the site you mention, I don't know.

13. tranfeer

Member tranfeer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Austria
    Attention: the website on the sticker of your r4i gold 3ds should be www.r4ids.cn

14. Rydian

United States
    Yeah people are talking about the site/team that makes the cart, not the one you buy it from.