See you later, guys.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
R4i Gold Review
2d1r591.jpg

This cartridge was provided by GamesYeah. They were really friendly about it and I am pleased to present to you a review of the R4i Gold, made by the unofficial R4i Gold Team.

UPDATE: Wood R4 DOES NOT work on the R4i Gold. REPEAT: IT DOES NOT WORK!

Introduction

The R4i Gold is made by the Chinese R4i Team. A few years ago, the R4 was a very popular flashcart that many people had. It offered many features that older flashcarts did not have. Unfortunately, in the present climate, the official R4 team no longer supports the cart after Nintendo of Japan filed a lawsuit against them. Nowadays, the R4 is "supported" by clone cartridges. The clones are out in the dozens, this one being one of many.

The R4i Cartridge Itself
eqwc2v.jpg

The R4i, when you insert the firmware files, shows a Star Wars Lethal Alliance icon, which means that it is compatible with the Nintendo DSi at v1.4 firmware. The cart itself is done in a yellowish-golden color. It looks appealing. I'm going to go deeper into the cartridge now. The cartridge is sturdy. However, with a keen eye, a insertion of a fingernail can pry the cover of the cartridge off. The cart looks exactly like the official R4, but done in gold. If you want a taste of the real R4 that used to be so popular, go to this link: PharaohsVizier's R4 DS Review. The cartridge is long dead and receives NO MORE SUPPORT.

14cv4mw.jpg

The R4i cartridge front
2zzu62p.jpg

The back of the R4i cartridge

The User Interface

The R4i user interface is rather ugly. Personally, I'd go to the R4i team and give them a good lecture about updating the interface. I'd rather take the default EZ Flash theme, which is quite ugly. That says something. The interface has not updated at all. It looks the same as the official one, but YSMenu'd and given a new picture. The menu is exactly the same and it's really boring. Once more, go to PharaohsVizier's R4 DS Review and feel free to compare. Compare those pictures to these.

rjo29u.jpg

The old fashioned R4i interface, in a crappy photo.
2dlvnut.jpg

More of the interface
2eku1qr.jpg

More old interface

See? As you can see, they look the same. I was really upset when I ran it. I ran games with this new TTDS/YSMenu'd system and I was really upset. The loading times were horrendously slow. With cartridges like the Acekard 2i, the loading times for Pokemon Heart Gold and Soul Silver were about 2 seconds. With the R4i, the loading time was 8 seconds. It's disheartening. The team hasn't changed at all. And people STILL continue to buy them. People need to really assimilate and buy a better cart. The R4i Gold is sold at about $6, whereas great compatibility in the form of Acekard is about $11. I'd pay a few more bucks and get an Acekard, load AKAIO on it, and be on my way. However, recently, Yellow Wood Goblin released a new firmware based on AKAIO, called Wood R4. The latest version is 1.08. I'll provide links later. Let's go into special features, shall we?

Compatibility

Most games that I ran worked. However, popular new titles gave me freezes, such as Tetris Party Deluxe and Pokemon Heart Gold. Game compatibility is a bit sour and there isn't much to say about this cart. It's a bit disappointing and I'd only recommend this one if you want to play really old games.

Special Features

Unfortunately, today, the R4i's "special features" are just a few bits of homebrew. It includes SvSIP (phone application), Beup Live (Windows Messenger or MSN) and NDSMail (email client). I only used NDSMail. The others are clunky or need accounts. Not my idea of fun. I looked at the box of the R4i and most features are included and are pretty much the standard for all flashcarts. It lacked any really eye-popping action and it bored me.

Conclusions

If you are a extreme noob with flashcarts go for it. If you are a collector go for it. I see no reason to own THIS model. It was really disappointing, and I expected nothing more from a clone. Stick to the Acekard/M3/Supercard Team. They update frequently and it can help you on the way. Other alternative is load Wood R4 firmware and support is currently booming.

Score

Cart Features 11/20
Build Quality 18/20
User Interface 10/20
Game Compatibility 15/20
Other Gimmicks 13/20

TOTAL SCORE: 67/100

Links

Wood R4 1.08
GamesYeah
GBATemp
R4i Gold website
PharaohsVizier's R4DS review

Alright guys, that wraps up another review. Thanks for reading this guy, and thanks to Gamesyeah for sending me the sample. And, a big thanks to YOU for reading these and making DSDatabase a happier place. Until next time guys!

UPDATE: Wood R4 DOES NOT work on the R4i Gold. REPEAT: IT DOES NOT WORK!

Miser

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
You were a bit too generous with your points, imo. The card doesn't have any special features, so I don't see how 11/20 is justified. The build quality can't be very good (18/20??) if you can pry it open with your fingernail. Plus the plastic looks very cheapo.
Also, you shouldn't even mention/link to WoodR4 in this review since it doesn't support this card. It'll just confuse people.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it deserves a 25 or less imo for just being another junk clone that you cant tell apart from the other 100's of r4 clones and nothing special about it

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only thing that was noteworthy was the build quality. I practically did the drop test from the second story and it still works
smile.gif

riddle43

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have this card and im happy with it so far just a few roms that ive tried dont work but the rest are good ill get a better one at some point but i have to say for the 6 bucks i paid for it is well worth it for me lol so to each there own
moogle.gif
yaywii.gif

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I said the same thing once. I upgraded and I realized that I did not waste a penny on it.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
riddle43 said:
i would likeone of these cards for gba on my dsi and nds on the same cart im sure ill find one cheap i hope lol

This cart won't run GBA games on the DSi, only a SCDS2 or iPlayer will do that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FzVN9kIUNxw +1