Hacking R4i-Gold pro Help!

Camplord

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Guatemala
Hello there, in advance apologies if this thread shouldnt be here, its just that in the Thread Section this card wasnt listed so if it gets moved by any means do so.

So here is the issue, it happened to me before, i updated my 3DS Firmware without updating the R4 first so the ending result was a blocked card D:, had to borrow another DS to update the card.

The thing is i never made an update since then, and when i go to the R4s official webpage i found out the domain changed and i get lost there, i dunno if the update for the card will match up with the 3DS update, also to make matters worse i cant tell my R4s actual version.
IMG_20140913_183932.jpg

The site the card tells me to go is :
www.r4i-gold.com (which changed domains)

BTW, my 3DS current firmware version is : 4.4.0-10U (way too old, i know)
Any help is appreciated...anything you need to know ill be watching this thread so ill answer as soon as possible.

Camplord

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Guatemala
http://www.r4i-gold.me/

Might be what you are looking for. Any card updates should work with older firmware.

ok just quick question then : will i be able to update my 3DS then?
EDIT: and btw...in the site there are 3 cards which appear identical to mine...thats what lost me. Anyways i downloaded the file R4i-3DS V1.70b ( i hope thats the one).

Ryft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All 3DS flash carts for 3DS games require 4.1-4.5 firmware as of now. If you update, you wouldn't be able to use a flashcart for 3DS games. If you don't ever plan to buy a Gateway/MT-Card, etc. then you can go ahead and update.... problem is, a lot of R4 cards for DS games ALSO don't always work on later firmware. Just have to do your research. That's why I refuse to ever buy anything R4... so many damn revisions and they aren't really designed to be future proof.

Camplord

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Guatemala
All 3DS flash carts for 3DS games require 4.1-4.5 firmware as of now. If you update, you wouldn't be able to use a flashcart for 3DS games. If you don't ever plan to buy a Gateway/MT-Card, etc. then you can go ahead and update.... problem is, a lot of R4 cards for DS games ALSO don't always work on later firmware. Just have to do your research. That's why I refuse to ever buy anything R4... so many damn revisions and they aren't really designed to be future proof.

I see, figures. As of now i dont plan to buy Gateway, it will have to wait a year or so. I donwloaded the needed file, but i found somewhat a concerning thing, the file in which i downloaded "Upgrade Firmware Area" says 3DSV7.0.0-13. IM betting my ass it hasnt updated all the way to the 3DS current firmware 8.1.0-19, which is why im on hold.

Ryft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see, figures. As of now i dont plan to buy Gateway, it will have to wait a year or so. I donwloaded the needed file, but i found somewhat a concerning thing, the file in which i downloaded "Upgrade Firmware Area" says 3DSV7.0.0-13. IM betting my ass it hasnt updated all the way to the 3DS current firmware 8.1.0-19, which is why im on hold.

Odds are they won't be able to make it work with 8.1 but don't quote me on that. It is common with the R4 cards and why they have to do multiple hardware divisions. I recommend the Supercard DSTWO if you want a future proof DS card. It has special hardware and they have never had to make new hardware versions... they just release new firmware quickly and it always works so far.

Camplord

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Guatemala
Odds are they won't be able to make it work with 8.1 but don't quote me on that. It is common with the R4 cards and why they have to do multiple hardware divisions. I recommend the Supercard DSTWO if you want a future proof DS card. It has special hardware and they have never had to make new hardware versions... they just release new firmware quickly and it always works so far.

Well, thx for the recommendation, if i see no updates from my card might aswell change.

Pretty sure no cards where blocked between 7.x and 8.x....so if it works on 7.x it should also work on 8.x

Hmm..meaning the file i downloaded prolly gonna work with the recnt 3DS update?

Ryft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You might as well just try the card update. Worse that will happen is it just won't load the card. Then just remove the update and try a different download. If you don't play many 3DS games, just don't update the 3DS. Gamesquest is probably right though.

Camplord

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Guatemala
You might as well just try the card update. Worse that will happen is it just won't load the card. Then just remove the update and try a different download. If you don't play many 3DS games, just don't update the 3DS. Gamesquest is probably right though.

Well i tried the update and bam.

Nintendo-3DS-Error-Black-Screen-Of-Death-Reported.jpg

This is while the 3ds hasnt updated to 8.0.1 yet.

Then i updated the 3DS and, still the same error appeared. Good thing i backed the old R4 card data to the PC so i can just delete the updated files.
The question is: the 3DS format system returns to old firmware?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Well i tried the update and bam.

Nintendo-3DS-Error-Black-Screen-Of-Death-Reported.jpg

This is while the 3ds hasnt updated to 8.0.1 yet.

Then i updated the 3DS and, still the same error appeared. Good thing i backed the old R4 card data to the PC so i can just delete the updated files.
The question is: the 3DS format system returns to old firmware?
no a system format will not restore the old FW....everyone would have 4.x consoles if it did :lol:
so what firmware was it on, you kind of implied it was 7.x in which case nothing should be blocked between 7.x-8.x s far as i am aware

Camplord

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Guatemala
no a system format will not restore the old FW....everyone would have 4.x consoles if it did :lol:
so what firmware was it on, you kind of implied it was 7.x in which case nothing should be blocked between 7.x-8.x s far as i am aware

The first try was when my 3DS was on 4.4.10 firmware, the second attempt was when i updated the 3DS to 8.1. Which i assume it HAS to be a faulty r4 card update.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
might of been blocked with 4.3, iirc 4.3 killed off a lot of cheapo R4 card, i thought you meant it was working on 7.x already,

best advise would be to just get a new r4 card that supports 8.x, or a DStwo which has extra features like half decent snes emulation etc

Camplord

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Guatemala
might of been blocked with 4.3, iirc 4.3 killed off a lot of cheapo R4 card, i thought you meant it was working on 7.x already,

best advise would be to just get a new r4 card that supports 8.x, or a DStwo which has extra features like half decent snes emulation etc

Yeah, might aswell. I heard DStwo could emulate GBA games, so far thats what im inclined to get. Anyways thanks for all the help given and recommendations.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Yeah, might aswell. I heard DStwo could emulate GBA games, so far thats what im inclined to get. Anyways thanks for all the help given and recommendations.
no problem, hope you get it sorted, but just so you know you can get one of the really cheapo R4 cards like this
http://www.dsgamerworld.com/r4i-gold-3ds-rts-flashcard-p-2.html
it would do the job if you dont want to pay the $40 that the DStwo is, but then ofcourse you loose the cool GBA and Snes support, i have been meaning to pick a DSTwo up for a while, but im kinda guessing with the advent of 3DS mode homebrew we will be seeing some just as good if not better emulators running in 3DS mode

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4 +1