r4i gold firmware editor

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by nicknewbie, Jul 30, 2010.

Jul 30, 2010

r4i gold firmware editor by nicknewbie at 9:32 PM (1,057 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. nicknewbie
    OP

Newcomer nicknewbie Newbie

United States
    im trying to edit the start up "loading" image and other lines of text and images, are there and editors out there or any tuts on editing it by hand

2. SixtySixHundred

Member SixtySixHundred GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Good luck with that...

Go get a hex editor and, err, do it by hand. Have a google for ROM hacking hex tutorials and you may get lucky. Rohacking.net is a good place for that.
    It'll be the _DS_MENU.DAT file you'll need to edit (I believe) remane it _DS_MENU.NDS and treat it as a DS ROM. If there's no _DS_MENU.DAT file, ignore the balls I just wrote...

EDIT: Removed some useless stuff but in doing so, had many ideas... Google it please to stop my perpetual editing of this post...

3. nicknewbie
    OP

United States
    ok i will try a hex editor and reply

4. nicknewbie
    OP

United States
    well....i fucked that up pretty quick i corrupted the system file lolz

5. SixtySixHundred

Member SixtySixHundred GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    [​IMG] Remember with hex editing, you have to keep the same amount of bits in the file... If you want to change the word 'Loading' to another word, it has to be the same amount of characters. Eg. Changing 'Loading' to 'Opening' would work but changing it to 'Starting' wouldn't work as there's an extra character...

Good luck. Hex editing is a good skill to have...

6. nicknewbie
    OP

United States
    ok on the loading screen under "loading" it says www.r41-gold.eu but there is not string of text that says that in the hex files but there is www.r4i-gold.com but i change even one letter and it wont boot (i think the loading screen is an image held in the hex file is there and hex editors the will display the text and images?)

7. nicknewbie
    OP

United States
    ok now i know theres something weird i tryed changing the hex file from ver1.35b to ver_n00b and it hung again but i changed to back and it worked fine?

8. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    There's probably some checksum/verification string somewhere.

I ran into this problem while trying to remove "YasuMenu" (i think) from YSMenu firmware.
    There was like 4 or 6 instances of it, all of them could be changed except two.