R4i Gold 3ds Question

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by skullpanda86, Feb 15, 2014.

1. skullpanda86
    OP

skullpanda86 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 17, 2010
    United States
    Hi i need some help please,so i just bought an r4i gold 3ds cart,according to the site i bought it from they quote "Pre-flashed service, this card is already working on your latest version of 3DS and DSi." (http://www.thegamerdepot.com/buy-wood-r4i-gold-3ds-card-for-3ds-xl3dsdsids-p-150.html) which is great if they're saying they pre flash it with like the latest version of wood,but i think i might have a problem on my side because i have a 3ds XL with 4.4.0-10u,does anyone know if they latest updates to R4i 3DS gold will work on 4.4.0-10u?if so thank you greatly for future responses

2. jamsplodge

jamsplodge Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 16, 2008
    Yes it will work and the R4i Gold Deluxe Omni Mega cart doesn't come "preflashed" at all. They'll have put the wood firmware that can install the exploit in a micro SD for you I would have thought. If not, who knows what they're talking about. Either way it will work on 4.4.

3. skullpanda86
    OP

skullpanda86 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 17, 2010
    United States
    Ok so if they did pre flash it with the latest wood update it should work with my firmware 4.4.0-10U using the latest R4i gold firmware (not wood)

4. skullpanda86
    OP

skullpanda86 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 17, 2010
    United States
    The reason i ask these questions is because i don't have a DS/DS-i/DS-i XL so i would have no way to flash the wood version on my 3ds if it doesn't work on 4.4.0-10u

5. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    They probs mean latest boot loader update....for people who already updated their console and don't have another to update the boot loader.

The version of wood r4 is irrelevant as that can just be copied to the SD card yourself.......plus how could they give you the latest wood r4 if you buy it without an SD card XD

6. skullpanda86
    OP

skullpanda86 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 17, 2010
    United States
    Ok but that doesn't tell me if the card will work on 4.4.0-10U with the latest r4i 3ds gold update or not?if the wood isn't updated past a certain point then im pretty sure it won't work on 4.4.0-10U,could be wrong,but i don't know for sure.

7. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    If it works on the latest it will work on all below too

8. skullpanda86
    OP

skullpanda86 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 17, 2010
    United States
    Even if the latest wood patch hasn't been applied?

9. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    Well 4.4 is a pretty old FW not many cards don't support it

10. FireEmblemGuy

FireEmblemGuy Celebrating a decade of shitposting

Jul 6, 2007
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    Wood has nothing to do with the booting process of the card. Wood files have to be loaded onto the SD card anyways. The card is updated to boot on all 3DS models up to 7.1.0, meaning it'll work on a 4.4 system; you can load whatever version of Wood you want onto the SD card yourself.

11. skullpanda86
    OP

skullpanda86 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 17, 2010
    United States
    Right but back when the update (4.40-10U/E/J) blocked ALOT of cards at the times,so i don't if its still blocked evne using the latest r4i 3ds gold and wood firmwares

12. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    Yeah but I don't many sellers would still be selling pre 5.x cards, they would just get too many returns/ complaints, any any cards capable of running on 7.x are probs 5.x + by default, don't panic until you try anyways

13. skullpanda86
    OP

skullpanda86 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 17, 2010
    United States
    Ok thank you,see that basically should answer my question perfectly,now im just curious of something,do the R4i carts work by find exploits in the games (ds ones) similar to that of like what we seen on the psp?i ask because i noticed every time they do an update they have a different game icon/name so i thought maybe they were using modified games that execute the exploit

14. Gadorach

Gadorach Electronics Engineering Technologist

Jan 22, 2014
    Canada
    Canada
    No, this is not the case. The firmware updates inject the game identification information of a retail game into the bootrom of the flash cart. This is used to trick the console into thinking the flash cart is a legitimate game, thus allowing it to boot and take over the emulated DS-mode on the 3DS to launch its own code. Besides changing the target game used to get past the boot check, there's also evasion of the secondary checks put in place to detect flash cart boot loaders. Overall it's nothing special, just playing cat and mouse as always.