R4i 3ds

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by kenenthk, Feb 17, 2015.

1. kenenthk
    OP

kenenthk Custom Title

May 26, 2013
    Burkina Faso
    Does anyone know if this flashcart will support new 3ds xl? I haven't gotten mine in yet but guessing it'll be on 9.0.

I have this one [​IMG] I tried looking at the website but got confused.

Margen67 likes this.

2. DarkFlare69

DarkFlare69 GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 8, 2014
    United States
    Ohio
    Yes, if it supports N3DS then it'll support 3DS XL.

3. kenenthk
    OP

kenenthk Custom Title

May 26, 2013
    Burkina Faso
    Can I set it up without having to update my system?

Margen67 likes this.
  4. SomecallmeBerto

SomecallmeBerto The Anti-Hero

Dec 17, 2014
    United States
    USA

Not understanding your question. You don't have tp update anything to use this cart.

5. kenenthk
    OP

kenenthk Custom Title

May 26, 2013
    Burkina Faso
    I was thinking that you needed to be on specific firmware for it to work.

Margen67 likes this.
  6. SomecallmeBerto

SomecallmeBerto The Anti-Hero

Dec 17, 2014
    United States
    USA

Not it works on all versions. Install the files to the micro sd card that goes into the r4 and your good to go.

satel likes this.
  7. kenenthk
    OP

kenenthk Custom Title

May 26, 2013
    Burkina Faso
    Alright I had it working on my old 3ds xl so files should still be there just wasnt sure if anything needed to be updated since I think I was on like fw 7.0 or something. :)

Margen67 likes this.
  8. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    I have the same one. Does work on the N3DS but has been freezing on games causing some save loss. I have not checked to make sure the card has the latest "files" on it and will check in the morning.

I will try and report back in a day or two after my son has a chance to test it out. Flash carts can get finiky after a while and backing them,moor matting the mSD copying everything back frequently fixes these hiccups.

Random Joe and kenenthk like this.
  9. CMIVXX

CMIVXX Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 17, 2009
    United States
    I have one of these same cards, but I can't get it to load on my 3DS XL with current (updated) FW (3DS XL: v 9.5.0-22u). It shows up as a Japanese "game" from Konami on the homescreen, but upon launching it, I just get the "An error has occurred..." message.

Hasn't been updated in a while as the site listed on the label's (http://www.r4ids.cn) download links are broken. Anyone have a link to a current version of the software so I can put it on a clean mSD? Any ideas why this may not be working? I just want to be able to play a few old DS roms.

Random Joe likes this.
  10. justinefremlouw

justinefremlouw GBAtemp Regular

May 13, 2009
    United States
    Chi Town
    the download link from that site works. It sounds like you are trying to get the wrong one. This particular card uses the Wood firmware so go to the downloads page and download the Wood firmware.

11. kenenthk
    OP

kenenthk Custom Title

May 26, 2013
    Burkina Faso
    Which wood firmware would I need if on 9.0 or 9.2?

Margen67 likes this.
  12. thorasgar

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    There is only one. 1.64 I just downloaded it today and checked the file dates and mine was up to date. So that leaves the question why are the games freezing. I backed up and reformatted the mSD but will have to wait to test it out.

I noticed they do not state it supports the N3DS, 9.5 yes, but they only mention the 3DS and down.

13. Maximilious

Maximilious GBAtemp Addict

Nov 21, 2014
    United States
    That card probably won't work on 9.0 firmware. I had to get the R4i RTS version for it to work after I believe 8.1 or 9.0 hit.

14. thorasgar

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    Bought in 2013 maybe even early 2014 and has RTS on the label. These jokers use so many terms to confuse the situation R4i Gold RTS 3DS Revolution for DS.

Should probably see if anyone is still alive over on the DS sub and see what they say.

kenenthk and Maximilious like this.
  15. Maximilious

Nov 21, 2014
    United States
    Yeah, it's easy to see what the latest "version" of the card they offer is. Usually it's listed on www.r4i-sdhc.com. One thing I hate is that they tote the "update via wifi" option, but you need to use a WEP encrypted network - Who still uses those!?!?!? WPA has been around for ages lol

thorasgar likes this.
  16. Bananawagon

Bananawagon Member

Newcomer
    Feb 15, 2015
    Netherlands
    My R4i Gold pro 2015 from www.r4isdhc.com works on my n3ds XL 9.0.
    Not sure if it is a knockoff from that Original r4 RTS or what it is.

[​IMG]

thorasgar likes this.
  17. thorasgar

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    Not an expert on this stuff but I thought those were two different teams and cards. (At least the software). R4i-sdhc.com and r4ids.cn.

At the time I bought the card the recommendation on gbatemp was to go with r4ids.cn as they had the best reputation and support.

18. Maximilious

Nov 21, 2014
    United States

I think they are the same team, but the R4i is for DS only games. The DS Gold is for 3DS I think? The only reason I think that is because I emailed the R4i team once asking for 3DS rom support and they pointed me to the R4i Gold page. From there I just gave up seeing it was so expensive for the card and I think they still had the FW 4.1-4.5 limitation which my DS didn't meet.

19. thorasgar

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    The DS and 3DS mode cards are both called GOLD. THE 3DS mode one is the "Deluxe Edition"

20. Bananawagon

Bananawagon Member

Newcomer
    Feb 15, 2015
    Netherlands
    I looked at the software section of both websites and it looks like it's using the same software with a only different skin. My card is probably a rebrand of the same card.